Author Topic: A new 4-part special of Red Dwarf  (Read 4888 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: September 24, 2008, 09:00:18 PM
Smegging hell, Necromancy shows it's good side: http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2008/09/19/new%2Dred%2Ddwarf%2Dspecials%2Dconfirmed/

New specials? Proper information? After all the rumours? Oh smeg yes.

reddwarf.co.uk has the facts. As announced by Robert Llewellyn for Grant Naylor Productions this week at the UKTV seasonal press launch, the project is a short series of brand new specials to celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf.

Doug Naylor will be masterminding the four half-hour instalments, and the regular cast will all be reprising their iconic roles. They are being made by GNP for UKTV's free-to-air channel, Dave - our new best friends!

Red Dwarf repeats on Dave - including an anniversary weekend run - have picked up remarkable numbers since the channel was reborn on Freeview, and it's becoming clear to all concerned that the show is picking a new, third generation audience. With the usual involvement from Red Dwarf partners BBC Worldwide, you can also expect international broadcasts to follow (and, we'd imagine, a top-quality DVD release in the fullness of time).

It's very new news to me - I really only fully heard the details yesterday, Robert told comedian/host Michael McIntyre. We're doing four new shows with the original cast. Two of them are going to be, like, proper episodes of Red Dwarf. One of them is so exciting I've been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. And the other one is a kind of behind-the-scenes-y... the truth. There's been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, about whether there's going to be a movie and whether we all get on, all those things... The downside for me, which is just dawning on me now, is I've got to do the 'rubber' thing again, which I haven't done for ten years.

For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials
A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.
Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One
The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...
Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two
The adventure continues...
Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference
The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.

To be kept in the loop as we cover the new production, register your email address with reddwarf.co.uk in the box at the bottom of the page.

The Boys from the Dwarf are back!

WOOO!.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:02:56 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:01:16 PM
I second your woo!

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:34:11 AM
I only hope that Norman Lovett is involved.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:47:42 AM
I only hope that Craig Charles is off the crack and Danny John-Jules doesn't go to prison for brandishing that sword...  :(

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:08:44 AM
are Rob Grant and Doug Naylor both on board for this?
one of them jumped ship for the last few sereas and it SERESLY suffered.
i a just wondering if we are going to see a revisiting of the fantastic funy and inavotive red dwarf or the pail wishy washy sometimes amusing one

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:41:32 AM
Exactly.  We get the good stuff we're on a winner, we get series 7-8 level Dwarf and...not so much.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 03:55:44 AM
And lo, episode one hath aired, and it was much the same as we left it, except with some really noticeably CG corridors. And one brief transcendent moment with Sense and Sensibility. And after that the noticeably bad CG was not so noticeable anymore.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

izzardfan

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:03 AM
Was/is this available to view in the US somehow?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:35:49 AM
Was/is this available to view in the US somehow?

Sort of.  ;)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:22:26 PM
Well, that went to a weird place. I pity anyone watching it without a fair working knowledge of Blade Runner or at least DADOES.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:26:45 PM
Well, that went to a weird place. I pity anyone watching it without a fair working knowledge of Blade Runner or at least DADOES.

I've seen the original theatrical cut and the first "director's cut" of the film, as well as read the book.  I just haven't watched any Red Dwarf beyond the first year.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising