Author Topic: EP061: I Look Forward To Remembering You  (Read 6502 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 25, 2008, 08:31:41 AM
EP061: I Look Forward To Remembering You

By Mur Lafferty.
Read by Daisy Ottmann, Anna Eley, and Stephen Eley.

She smiled at last and gave a satisfied little sigh. He was just as she’d ordered. Without raising her eyes to his face, she asked, “So when do we begin?”

“We just have some paperwork to go over,” he said. He bent over to pick up his bathrobe and Susan stared as his muscles flexed. Kevin slipped the robe on with the slow grace of someone who was unashamed of his nakedness. “Once we take care of that, I’ll go back to headquarters and take my trip back to 1992, find your younger self, and seduce her.”

Rated R. Contains profanity, sexual content, and nonlinear temporal prostitution.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

umamei

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:25:35 AM
I'm really surprised more people haven't responded to this one yet.  I wish this post weren't going to be so lame in its shortness and bad metaphors, but really, I just loved this story.  I have no complaints at all, if you can believe that.  I certainly can't, I'm good at finding things I don't like, but this was one of those "Where's Waldo" searches where it turns out Waldo just wasn't in the picture to be found.  Anyone else have any reactions worth noting?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:41:02 PM
This is hands-down one of my favorite Escape Pod stories, and also one of my favorite Mur stories.  A romantic Sound of Thunder.  I especially liked that at the end, she now had kids who had lived full lives and been attached to their father, despite him never existing prior to Susan hiring Kevin.  The implications in that little detail floor me.  "I Look Forward to Remembering You" got me tearing up just as much as several of Resnick's stories here.

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:13:44 PM
I loved this story.  5 stars.   Beautifully written, great concept, great emotion, perfect execution.   I just love the idea of something changing in the past and then a series of new memories coming flooding in.   

One thing I did wonder about was why that would happen only to the woman who ordered the experience and not to everyone else whose lives were changed.   Or maybe it did...

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:25:08 AM
This was one of my keepers.  I've used this one to get folks into EP.

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:40:04 PM
That's a good point, Russell.   I haven't introduced many friends to EP yet and haven't really thought about which episodes would make good introductions.  But this is definitely one of them.

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:34:34 PM
This is one for the people that think SF doesn't have character motivated plots. 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:39 PM
This is one for the people that think SF doesn't have character motivated plots. 

Yes, most definitely!  I'll definitely be using this one to draw new listeners in.  :)

This was one of my favorite time travel stories ever (and I like me a time travel story), and is a credit to Mur's impressive skills.  I loved every bit of it--and losing one's virginity to Ranma 1/2 is fantastic.  I love that show!  :)  The unexpected consequences of his changes, and the bittersweetness of gaining a husband only after he's been dead 10 years was very powerful. 

I know there's several more Mur stories ahead of me in the EP backlog, so I'm most definitely looking forward to them.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 03:50:30 PM
Reading these posts I see she ended up with kids in the end of the story. I didn't notice that, I thought they never had kids but had helped a lot of underprivileged kids? I could be wrong, I was out walking listening to this as I normally am, and got caught up in a heavy rain storm near the end of the story, so may not have been concentrating :-)