Author Topic: Podcastle Giants  (Read 5099 times)

veganvampire

• Palmer
on: September 30, 2008, 01:47:09 AM
I love the name and idea and the one we've had so far, but I wanted to discuss the name here.

Since the long fantasy stories are "giants," shouldn't the miniatures be named something more like . . . pixies?  Or dwarves?

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:34:24 AM

I love the name and idea and the one we've had so far, but I wanted to discuss the name here.

Since the long fantasy stories are "giants," shouldn't the miniatures be named something more like . . . pixies?  Or dwarves?

I think the original reasons for calling the flash fiction "minatures" still holds; I see no reason to change it.

And I like the idea and the name as well, but I would not like to see them more frequently than once a quarter or so, which I think is the current plan.  It's hard for me to shake loose that much time to listen.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

veganvampire

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:01:41 PM
Ooops!  Did not see the metacast discussion in episode comments when I posted this.  Sorry!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:35:32 PM
Since "miniature" refers to a small bit of writing, maybe the "giants" could be "epics". 

Don't mind me, just idle musing.   ;D

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:52:11 PM
reversing the idea, as Giants are fantasy characters, maybe the minaitures could be Sprites?

snap-hiss

• Palmer
    • Prehistory Ranch
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:20:51 AM
What is the word count range for submitting a "giant"?

Swing by the Prehistory Ranch.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:14:58 PM
Giants are stories that are 10,000 words or more. I'm not sure how much more the "more" there signifies, but I'd say the ballpark range isn't too far from there.

Anna talks a little bit more about it over here in this thread.

I'd just add that 5/6 of the Giants run have been solicited (the one exception being N.K. Jemisin's "The Narcomancer"). I'd also emphasize that longer stories are harder sells in general, so if it's been sold somewhere else, that's a definite tick in the story's favor.