Author Topic: when the end comes !  (Read 201465 times)

Russell Nash

Reply #425 on: June 17, 2009, 12:42:45 PM
A mall would be a good place to be trapped.  Pull down the gate in front of the sporting goods store for protection and then suit up.  Light football or hockey padding and helmets, Hockey sticks and baseball bats.

In some states they even have guns in there. 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #426 on: June 21, 2009, 04:22:11 AM
Walmart. :D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #427 on: June 21, 2009, 09:03:40 AM
i think you wuld run out of food farly quikly, once the power goas down everything is going to go moldy real quick, the big problem is being traped any whare be it fortrece or maul,  sooner or later you run out of food or water.
the ideal haven is ether mobile to alow for a wider range of scavenging posabilatys(converted train, truck convoy, air ship) or self surfitont (an iland or fortefide farm)

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Russell Nash

Reply #428 on: July 01, 2009, 01:14:06 PM
NPR story about the resurgence of zombies in pop culture.

edited for link tag correct-ness!!!

RN: How embarrassing
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:06:37 PM by Russell Nash »

Russell Nash

Reply #429 on: August 26, 2009, 07:07:43 AM
Who will win the Zombie war?

Quote from: NPR
University of Ottawa math professor Robert Smith? and his team recently completed research on the potential battle between zombies and humans. They have found that humans could win out against the slower-moving creatures of the zombie classics.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #430 on: September 22, 2009, 11:48:59 PM
what's your zombie grade?

i don't agree with all of it but the classic choose your own adventure is fun.
how is taking 30s to auto-dial your house really wasting time?  and who is this guy that can't drive a motorcycle across a field without killing himself?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #431 on: September 23, 2009, 12:46:42 AM

Tactics A

Compassion C

F them F'ers It's the Zombocalypse.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #432 on: September 25, 2009, 08:10:34 PM
New weapon for the coming Zombocalypse: AA-12 assault Shotgun - if you don't mind lugging tons of 12-gauge rounds.
Can go fully automatic, 300 rounds per minute, up to 32-round drum. Also has fin-stabilized grenade rounds.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c&fmt=18

(I still favour an old-school cutlass.)

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #433 on: September 25, 2009, 11:51:44 PM
But there's something to be said for fragmentation grenades as well as a pair of hatchets for when those that didn't get blown up, get close.

Russell Nash

Reply #434 on: September 27, 2009, 10:51:33 AM
With the way zombies moved I was just thinking of putting up a perimeter of 1/2 steel cable at about three feet off the ground.  That should be all the protection I need.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #435 on: September 28, 2009, 03:23:37 AM
Hey, welcome back, you zombie-looking freak.
Oh, hey.
Sorry, I thought you were talking to yourself again.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #436 on: September 28, 2009, 10:04:44 PM

All-in-all this was a pretty good quiz, but there are a couple things that stick out like sore thumbs:
1) Why is staying with your coworkers, because they won't leave you hanging, the best decision when the only way to survive later is to leave them hanging at the first sign of danger?
2) You're securing the house, getting ready to flee the city. So why are you hiding a body in the basement? Just throw it out on the lawn.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #437 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:04 PM
Threadomancy #9:

The NYT wins again:
  Epidemiologists today worry a lot about swine flu. But earlier this year, Philip Munz got interested in a more devastating possibility: an outbreak of zombies. A graduate student at Carleton University in Ottawa, he was watching a lot of movies about the undead and realized that zombification could be regarded as a classic paradigm of infectious spread: people get bitten by zombies, after which they turn into zombies themselves and start biting others. So Munz decided to use the tools of epidemiology to answer a sobering public-health question: could humanity survive a zombie outbreak?

Working with a professor and two other graduate students, Munz built a mathematical model of a city of one million residents, in which an outbreak occurs when a single zombie arrives in town. He based the speed of zombie infection on the general rules you see in George Romero movies: after getting bitten, people turn into zombies in 24 hours and sometimes don't realize what's happening to them until they change.

When he ran the model on a computer, the results were bleak. "After 7 to 10 days, everyone was dead or undead," he says. He tried several counterattacks. Quarantining the zombies didn't work; it only bought a few extra days of survival for humanity. Even creating a "cure" for zombification led to a grim result. It was possible to save 10 to 15 percent of the population, but everyone else was a zombie. (The cure in his model wasn't permanent; the cured could be rebitten and rezombified.)

There was only one winning solution: fighting back quickly and fiercely. If, after the first zombies emerge, humanity begins a policy of "eradication," then the zombies can be beaten. This is, as Munz points out, what traditionally saves humanity in zombie flicks. "People finally realize what's happened," he says, "and they call the army in." Or as he concludes in his paper on the work, to be published in the collection "Infectious Disease Modelling Research Progress": "The most effective way to contain the rise of the undead is to hit hard and hit often." CLIVE THOMPSON

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #438 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:08 PM
And it's the best Zombie news day in a while:
Given Natalie Portman’s elegant demeanor, a turn in a period Jane Austen adaptation was inevitable.
Portman will star in and produce “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” a film that is based on the bestselling book written by Seth Grahame-Smith and Austen. Lionsgate will finance and distribute. Quirk Books published the tome.

Though Austen’s name is on the book, Grahame-Smith took the liberty of adding bloodthirsty flesh-eating zombies to the mix.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #439 on: April 06, 2010, 04:54:33 AM
'lil threadomancy here...
I'm playing Humans vs. Zombies at the University of Florida.
It's fun.  For those who have no idea what it is, it is a glorified game of tag.  Humans get Nerf guns and 'sock bombs' (balled up socks that you can throw at Zombies) and Zombies have to tag you, whereupon you turn into a Zombie yourself, 15 minutes after the 'bite'.
So I'm walking around the University with a pistol in my pocket and a big ol' pump action rifle in my hands, with an armband that I designed (supposed to be a bandanna but I don't have one, so I drew the Japanese flag on a piece of white shirt).
When I get 'bitten' I move the armband onto my forehead, it'll look like I'm a Japanese Kamikaze :)
Maybe pics at some point.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #440 on: April 15, 2010, 08:31:18 AM
noe THAT sounds like fun!

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #441 on: July 30, 2010, 09:13:54 PM
The people on The Colony could really use this info.

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.