Escape Artists
October 24, 2014, 09:40:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC017: Goblin Lullaby  (Read 24605 times)
Windup
Hipparch

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:17 PM »

I'm late to the party -- delayed by work travel -- but this one was a blast.  Like others, I appreciated seeing the Goblin Nanny as the main character.  And what a character she was...

My whole job is in the space between "should be" and "is."  It's a big space...
Animite
Extern

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »

This story was a par on excellence. It was the clash of down-to-earth reality and common living meeting the ether of formulaic fantasy.

I suppose this story should be a warning to all those adventurers out there not take appearances lightly. What may appear to be a harmless old goblin could in fact turn out to be a 50th level uber-goblin of absolute common sense just trying to find a little peace and quiet.   

"I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o' clock every morning."

-Peter De Vries
Schreiber
Peltast

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 07:37:02 AM »

I don't see this as an anti-war story.  The goblin nanny could care about the war, she just sees her own personal problems.  If the war helped her, she support it.  In this case, it gets in the way of a good nap.  I know the feeling, I'd rather have a good night sleep these days than anything else.

"Hey hey!  Ho-ho!  This Elf campaign has got to go! Hey-hey!  Ho-ho!"

No, this is true.  The goblin nanny certainly wasn't on a "quest" of her own to stop wars in general.  But I think that strengthens the anti-war message rather than weakens it.  Her outlook never suggested that the skirmishes between humans and goblins were wrong per se, just stupid and destructive.  Which strengthens the message because it doesn't it couch it in a monolithic, overarching worldview that makes too many demands on us, but rather in plain, simple common sense.
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »

this was a very fun story Smiley very entertaining, and kept me smiling throughout the entire reading.  Christiana was a great pick for the reader too

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Musings and Ramblings
Meeks
Extern

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »

I'm not much of one for fluff pieces like this one.  It also had all manner of the standard D&D markings on it: sarcastic humor, quests that no one cares about, a general cheapening of life and archetypes galore.  Furthermore it had something I'm coming to see as a mainstay of PodCastle--the dry  lead that deals with all the mundane crap (literally in this case), who doesn't care one bit about the other characters except as nuisances that need to be put aside for life to happily continue.

I'm looking forward to more stories that push outside of the archetypes and use fantasy as a lens into our own world.  I really do enjoy fantastic elements in stories, but having something to relate to helps in my enjoyment.  I can join a D&D campaign any time I want and get a story just like this.  I hope we can get some more stories from authors that have surprising and refreshing ideas, rather than those who just beat the dead horse from a different angle.
CammoBlammo
Matross

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »

Did anyone else think that the story had a distinctly anti-war message?

If anything I saw this story as strongly feminist, or at least the sort of story many feminists would say we don't get enough of. It told the story of war, but from the point of view from an old lady who is merely trying to look after a child. It was her story, and the war was only incidental to it. She was well and truly 'other' for the wannabe prince. She just went about her business as well as she could in the hopes she would be able to quieten the war down so she (and her child) could get some sleep. In the process she stopped a war, but probably started another one.

How many wars have been won or lost because of the activity of women behind the scenes? Those stories are as much a part of our history as the noble deeds of heroes, yet they're not considered to be anywhere as important. Fair enough too, I suppose. I want to hear tales of heroism and valour, not menial domestic stuff. Still, women were there, and the great heroes had to do the menial stuff as well. Women have always had to commit acts as brave as their men. The problem is that it's not always so glamorous.

Of course, massive flamewars have been started by comments as innocuous as this, so I'd better stop. I'm trying to be observant, not brave!
zZzacha
Peltast

Did I just say that?

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »

Of course, massive flamewars have been started by comments as innocuous as this, so I'd better stop. I'm trying to be observant, not brave!

CammoBlammo, you brave and observant knight. I will leave my flame torch in my pocket, my hands are full of diapers at the moment anyway. Women... we're so busy with all the menail stuff, we don't have time for flamewars!

;P  Sorry, my domestic alter ego had me say that. Now I have to go and be a great hero somewhere. Tatadadaaaaaa!

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
Rachel Swirsky
Hipparch

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »

If anything I saw this story as strongly feminist

Heh, I see it as a story about class struggle, particularly the kinds of class struggle relating to fuedalism. Goblins are peasants, often treated cruelly and made to suffer because of what the elves and kings desire.

I'm so avoided lit theory, but if I recall all my history correctly... The literary movement Romanticism (1800s) was the first time when writers said, "Hey, you know, it's nice to write about kings and all that, but we think people from the lower classes are just as appropriate as subjects for stories." (The equivalent happened in art with Impressionism, where the Impressionists painted prostitutes, actresses, and other people who had previously been considered too lowly to bother with.) I see this story as the fantasy equivalent of that. Beautiful elves and gallant kings are nice and all, but how about the goblin we dispatched before we even got a +1 sword?
Lionman
Peltast

[Insert witty banter here!]

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »

I rather liked the angle of this story.  The humor of the goblin just wanting peace, doing whatever it takes to get her moment of quiet.  Of course, it's not the way the legends are told, but probably just how one or two of them actually played out before they were doctored by time and wishful thinking.
Dwango
Palmer

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2008, 04:03:34 PM »

Just a note, I liked this story so much, I got the novel.  This is the first story on any of the escape artist shows that got me to buy a novel by the author.  I finished Goblin Quest and I'm going to get the next two books in the series.  Really fun stuff.
Jhite
Palmer

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

Late in the game here, but this story moved me to tears of laughter.  Diapers are a part of my life and I see them extend into the future. Great to know they have now been used in the fantasy world as well.

Captain James T. Kirk
I'm sorry I can't here you over the sound of how awesome I am
http://GreatHites.blogspot.com
csrster
Palmer

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2008, 06:08:34 AM »

I like it so much I bought the book.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »

This was quite a fun story, turning a lot of D&D cliches on their head for humor.

The ultimate weapon--poop!

I laughed at quite a few places.  The prince and elf were cardboard, but that was kind of the point--it wasn't supposed to be realistic, it was supposed to poke fun at fantasy cliches and it succeeded at that.  Smiley

Next time I start a campaign I am bringing along the Diaper of Extreme Stinkiness just in case...

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
dwebb64
Extern

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2010, 04:45:49 PM »

This is one of our all time family favorite Pod Castle stories.  Despite the fact that we have heard it at least a dozen times our kids still can not get eanough of it.
yicheng
Matross

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »

This was a classic Podcastle for me as well.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »

Dang. My local library network doesn't have the goblin books. I'm gonna have to work harder to read these. Anyone have a review of the books to encourage me to go get them?

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Just Jeff
Palmer

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »

They're very entertaining, and you should read them.

Grin
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »

Dang. My local library network doesn't have the goblin books. I'm gonna have to work harder to read these. Anyone have a review of the books to encourage me to go get them?

I dont know about your library, but at my library if I request a book they don't have they try to purchase it or borrow it from a nearby library system.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: