Escape Artists
October 21, 2018, 04:58:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sci-fi television  (Read 13493 times)
Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »

I'm enjoying No Heroics which is on a tiny channel in the UK, similar in starting concept to Mur Lafferty's 'Playing for Keeps' in that it's mostly set in a bar for superheroes. There's Excelsior, the ultra-smug and punchable Superman-analogue who lords it up over all the other heroes because he's the most popular and recognised superhero with the general public, The Hotness who has fairly rubbish heat-generating powers and desperately wants to be recognised by the public, Electroclash who controls machines and mainly uses her power to score free cigarettes, but I think my favourite is Thunder Monkey, who can summon monkeys to do his bidding, only they're in a zoo and it takes them about two hours to get to him.

Think 'Spaced' crossed with 'The Handbook of the Marvel Universe'.

I've got the first five episodes on my iPod. Haven't had time to watch them yet; got one more True Blood to catch up on first.

I like it on a gag-by-gag basis, but I'm hoping that a plot starts showing up soon.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »

I'm enjoying No Heroics which is on a tiny channel in the UK, similar in starting concept to Mur Lafferty's 'Playing for Keeps' in that it's mostly set in a bar for superheroes. There's Excelsior, the ultra-smug and punchable Superman-analogue who lords it up over all the other heroes because he's the most popular and recognised superhero with the general public, The Hotness who has fairly rubbish heat-generating powers and desperately wants to be recognised by the public, Electroclash who controls machines and mainly uses her power to score free cigarettes, but I think my favourite is Thunder Monkey, who can summon monkeys to do his bidding, only they're in a zoo and it takes them about two hours to get to him.

Think 'Spaced' crossed with 'The Handbook of the Marvel Universe'.

I've got the first five episodes on my iPod. Haven't had time to watch them yet; got one more True Blood to catch up on first.

I like it on a gag-by-gag basis, but I'm hoping that a plot starts showing up soon.

Yeah, I caught the first two this morning. Some of the jokes go on FAR too long (like the bus thing in episode 2). I laughed, though.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
lieffeil
Palmer

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »

I also loved B5 and Firefly.  I'm caught up on BSG and I think it is really good.  I started getting a little weird in the last season but I think it is still pretty good.  I also liked the first season of Sarah Conner Chronicles; the second season just started but haven't seen any of it yet.

I'm really enjoying the second season of Sarah Conner. And, unlike a lot of well-established TV series out there (cough couch BSG), you don't have whole load of seasons to wade through before you're totally caught up and you actually know what's going on. (Thanks to the writer's strike, season one is even shorter than it could be.)

...you've got three metric seconds.
deflective
Hipparch

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »

I'm enjoying No Heroics

a pretty funny show. a funnow.

i'm ok with the meandering pace but it might get repetitive like Burns' man stroke woman.

anybody watch anime here? i recently picked up death note and it's been interesting so far. an exceptionally intricate & comprehensive plot. a deft touch with pacing.

i recommend it if you're looking for a surprising story with intelligent characters; it's probably best to avoid any spoilers and just let it take you for the ride. as a warning, it is a suspense series with some very dark undertones and it has that unfortunately condescending attitude towards women that anime always seems to have.
Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »

anybody watch anime here? i recently picked up death note and it's been interesting so far. an exceptionally intricate & comprehensive plot. a deft touch with pacing.

i recommend it if you're looking for a surprising story with intelligent characters; it's probably best to avoid any spoilers and just let it take you for the ride. as a warning, it is a suspense series with some very dark undertones and it has that unfortunately condescending attitude towards women that anime always seems to have.

I've seen the live-action films based off of it, but not the anime, so all I can say is that the films are good.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
deflective
Hipparch

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »

ah, cool. i was wondering if they would be worth checking out. the anime was paced so well there may have been problems when it was converted into films.
Alasdair5000
Editor

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 03:01:28 AM »

ah, cool. i was wondering if they would be worth checking out. the anime was paced so well there may have been problems when it was converted into films.
   Big fan of Death Note, exactly the right sort of mundane/twisted balance.  If you like that, it's probably worth tracking down Ergo Proxy.  Very odd utopian/dystopian Cyberpunk series.
deflective
Hipparch

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »

i had a chance to watch the first death note movie. it isn't bad but it's kinda like reading a coles notes version of a classic. they did a surprisingly good job of condensing and changing the plot so that it could fit into a quarter of the time (reminiscent of the first lotr movie) and it's good to see that japan's culture as a whole isn't as misogynistic as anime.

the careful thought of the original story is lost in places though. L from the anime would have jumped all over some of the things that happens in the movie and ended it right there. Light was much more cautious originally, that was one of the things i liked best about it. you didn't have to keep telling yourself that it's just a story and excuse the super genius for not thinking of things that occur to you.

i agree that the original did a very good job of introducing a simple (but powerful) supernatural ability and then following the results. we get to watch our anti-hero make some pretty intense moral choices and go through dramatic changes but it concentrates on that contest between characters and lets you decide for yourself who's in the right.

if you have the time to watch a full series then the anime is the way to go, otherwise the movies are worth checking out in their own right.

ergo proxy sounds interesting. 'therefore a simulation'?
wolvesdread
Extern

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

It's definitely important to watch Farscape from the beginning.  Oh you can drop in to an episode somewhere in the middle and follow the plot well enough to get some enjoyment out of it I suppose, but when I did that a few years back a then Farscape innocent - most of what I saw seemed really stupid and unnecessary.  Having since watched it from the beginning.  I love it.  Or at least I loved the first two seasons..  I have yet to see the rest.

The one I still can't figure out and it may be more of the serialization issue.  Got to be there from the word go for it to make any sense.  Is Lexx.  I have watched random episodes and it's entertaining in the same way MST is entertaining that way.  I haven't the time to watch it from the start, but I am curious what my opinion of it would be if I did.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 03:18:09 PM »

I had already found the site, but thanks.  My wife is supposed to record it for me so I can watch it when I'm home.  I hope they do a good job with it, the books are great.

Apparently, the first 30 minutes or so of Legend of the Seeker will be up for free at the iTunes store.

Zathras
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 10:11:34 PM »

Did anyone catch Legend of the Seeker?  I missed it.
slic
Hipparch

Stephen Lumini

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »

I have been a B5 fan from the very beginning, I even have the B5 guidebook, and have some of the novels (the triliogy of the rise and fall of Bester, and the trilogy of What happened with Moliari/how Vir became emperor).

I find some similarities of it to BSG.  I found BSG to be excellent.  I haven't seen any of the current season (4), and this leads to my next point.  We get our shows on DVD - we are months behind the current shows, but the advantage is we watch them when we want.

When I travel (which isn't nearly as often as you), I can take a couple of discs with me or copy them to my harddrive.

You can get older series cheap (especially if they are second-hand).

I also got on the Farscape bandwagon early, but it's much more intense.  I also agree with stopping at Season 4

I also recommend Stargate, but only from Season 10 on.  It has Claudia Black and Ben Browder (from Farscape), and their chemistry is just great!

No help with Legend of the Seeker, sorry
Zathras
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 10:34:06 PM »

Haven't gotten around to Farscape.  With all the podcasts that have been referred lately and a trip to the used book store, tv takes a back burner.
Zathras
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »

Saw an episode of Legend of The Seeker yesterday.  Not sure how I feel about it.  My in-laws taped the first episode, and I'll watch that next time I'm home.  Looks to be a notch above Hercules.
Zathras
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2009, 06:00:08 PM »

Watched the first 8 episodes of Farscape over the last few days.  It's ok.  My issues with it are more quirky than anything.  Some of the acting is Shatner-esque.  I'll finish watching up to the episode that stePH recommended. 

As to Legend of the Seeker, it just seemed to be taking way to long to move through the plot.  I've seen 4 (?) episodes and I'm pretty meh about it.
slic
Hipparch

Stephen Lumini

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2009, 06:35:37 PM »

Personally, I found Farscape to be hit and miss.  I never really liked any of the characters except Aeryn Sun(sp?), so it was hard to get into the show.

They did get into cool plot ideas with the wormhole tech, but overall it didn't make the grade for me.
Zathras
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »

Am I missing something?  I've had friends rave about Farscape.  They say it's the best sci-fi show ever.  Really?  I started watching it, and didn't bring anything else with me, so I'll probably keep watching, but if it were warmer, I'd rather take a walk. 

I watched Durka Returns last night, and it has a lot of examples of why this show is below average, IMO.

1.  The Darryl Hannah from Balde Runner impersonation.
2.  Durka chops off his long, white hair with a knife, and he looks like he just left the barber shop!  Oh, come on!  At least mangle his hair a bit!
3.  Cliches everywhere!  Evil person from past "cured" then reverts to his evil ways.  Prisoner who is only guilty of being what we would consider fringe.
4.  This show is too formulaic.  John Crighton is so good hearted and this will enable him to triumph every time.

Ugg.  I really would like a Farscape fan to point out the good things that I'm obviously over looking, please.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »

Am I missing something?  I've had friends rave about Farscape.  They say it's the best sci-fi show ever.  Really?  I started watching it, and didn't bring anything else with me, so I'll probably keep watching, but if it were warmer, I'd rather take a walk. 

I watched Durka Returns last night, and it has a lot of examples of why this show is below average, IMO.

1.  The Darryl Hannah from Balde Runner impersonation.
2.  Durka chops off his long, white hair with a knife, and he looks like he just left the barber shop!  Oh, come on!  At least mangle his hair a bit!
3.  Cliches everywhere!  Evil person from past "cured" then reverts to his evil ways.  Prisoner who is only guilty of being what we would consider fringe.
4.  This show is too formulaic.  John Crighton is so good hearted and this will enable him to triumph every time.

Ugg.  I really would like a Farscape fan to point out the good things that I'm obviously over looking, please.

I never said it was Babylon 5.  But I enjoyed it a lot, particularly the second and third seasons.

But (again) I never saw the appeal in Firefly so my opinions could be suspect.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Zathras
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 10:24:04 PM »

It wasn't anyone on this forum that praised it to the heavens.  I'm trying to be patient and am going to reevaluate after season 2.  I really need to take a look at who was producing the episodes.

Just promise me that the Shatner acting fades, please!
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »

It wasn't anyone on this forum that praised it to the heavens.  I'm trying to be patient and am going to reevaluate after season 2.  I really need to take a look at who was producing the episodes.

Just promise me that the Shatner acting fades, please!

I just really liked the story developments through the second and third season.  The acting never struck me as particularly bad.  But I seem to be pretty uncritical in this area -- acting has to be at Traci Lords/Stephen King levels of awful for me to really dislike it.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: