Author Topic: Story Reccomendation Needed for a Halloween Horror CD  (Read 4753 times)

xylenz

• Extern
Hello,
I am putting together a Halloween disk for a group of friends that share mix CDs.  My plan is to have creepy music from Bela Bartok, Univers Zero, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Art Zoyd, Devil Doll, Black Angels, Simon Steensland, Kayo Dot, etc. between parts of a horror story.  So, I am looking for a very creepy story with decent recording quality that can be broken up into three to five 2-6 minute sections.  I am new to PseudoPod and am a bit intimidated to listen to all 100+ stories to find just the right one.  Any reccomendations?

I'll take any music recommendations too.  It has to be extremely creepy music, not brutal death metal, and not just dark lyrics (The Cure and The Smiths are happy people music).  I am looking for deeply sinister mostly instrumental stuff.  Acoustic music is best.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:39:21 PM by xylenz »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:56:20 PM
Does it have to be one story, it can it be a bunch of different, shorter horror stories.  (In that case, you might want to take some of the shorter PP Flash fiction pieces like Rite of Atonement.)  Either way, what's the total time for the story/stories?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:39:41 PM
I haven't been a regular listener for the last several months, but I still remember Little Boy Leg Bone as being one of the spookiest stories I listened to.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

xylenz

• Extern
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:53:19 PM
Does it have to be one story, it can it be a bunch of different, shorter horror stories.  (In that case, you might want to take some of the shorter PP Flash fiction pieces like Rite of Atonement.)  Either way, what's the total time for the story/stories?

I had planned on using Rite of Atonement as the first story followed by Sleepytime's "Ablutions".  The lyrics are very apporpriate to the story...

She folds her arms up nicely
Lays them down Upon the table
Wipes her mouth off as she
Tries to find another word for love
She hangs her skin up by the
Window looks to see that all the
Doors are open
The She sits alone and
Wonders where you've gone
I counted your lingering
I counted time between thunder
And lightning
I counted into silence, counted chickens,
Counted sheep, counted 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...
Upstairs she hears the space
Between the words you never said
She licks the tiny stone she gave herself
And swallows all her worry
Won't you leave me forever, won't you leave
For good?

I did find a few other flashes that I liked like "Secret Boxes" but most weren't quite what I was looking for.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 12:44:18 AM
It's hard to tell what would hold up to the cutting -- it depends on how you cut it, among other things -- but off the top of my head...

"The Keeper" is a somewhat Halloween-themed serial killer story in a classic horror kind of vein.  Others that might work are "The Intrusion" or "The Apple Tree Man" (both Joel Arnold stories), "Stockholm Syndrome" for that zombie apocalypse flavor, "Fingerbones Hung Like Mobiles", "My Caroline", "Civilized Monsters" -- it just depends on what rings your bell.

Ah, also check out the musical flash fiction just posted, "Scarecrow".

I'd love to get a copy when you're done, actually. :)