Escape Artists
September 02, 2014, 09:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP037: Craphound  (Read 2465 times)
Russell Nash
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »

EP037: Craphound

By Cory Doctorow.
Read by Jesse Thorn (of The Sound of Young America).

Craphound beat me out the door, as usual. His exoskeleton is programmable, so he can record little scripts for it like: move left arm to door handle, pop it, swing legs out to running-board, jump to ground, close door, move forward. Meanwhile, I’m still making sure I’ve switched off the headlights and that I’ve got my wallet.

Rated PG. Contains some profanity. That’s it, really.

Referenced Sites:
Mostly News
Escape Pod Submission Guidelines

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
ajames
Lochage

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »

This was my first exposure to a Cory Doctorow story (No, I don't live in a cave, why do you ask?). I loved how Cory developed the characters in the story and I remember enjoying the hell out of it.
eytanz

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:37:11 AM »

It's been a while since I heard this story, and while I don't really remember the sequence of events in it, the characters are still pretty strong and well defined in my head. So, well done.
wintermute
Hipparch

What Would Batman Do?

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:54:10 AM »

In case anyone's interested, Craphound was one of the Short stories that got converted to a comic for Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now. It's worth checking out.

[[Mods: Do that funky link-thing you do so well]]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:52:40 PM by Russell Nash » Logged

Science means that not all dreams can come true
Talia

I like pie

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »

I think this was the first Cory Doctorow story I heard also. Very fun and imaginative.

Ah the ruthless world of flea marketing. Hehehehe
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »

In case anyone's interested, Craphound was one of the Short stories that got converted to a comic for Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now. It's worth checking out.

[[Mods: Do that funky link-thing you do so well]]

Oh, yeah. I serioulsy need to pick that up...

CGFxColONeill
Matross

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »

great story and one that I have listened to multiple times when I have free time ie mowing or that time just before I fall asleep that I am listening to my Ipod

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »

I was surprised at how much I like this story, despite it being about garage sales.  The alien was cool, and the macros for movement were an interesting characterization, but above all I was actually most intrigued about the craphound culture, the code of honor, and how the alien blended itself into those. 

I think this was my first Doctorow story as well, and this makes me want to read more.  Good show!

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Scatcatpdx
Palmer

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:55:43 AM »

I have been going through the archives and found this story. Perhaps I could connect to it because I been a crap hound since 2004, spending my weekend going from sale to sale and uploading my find on Ebay (my feedback is over 800).

As  for code of honor, well a little respect but I never seen any. The worst are pants suit wearing ladies who run profession estate businesses  that feel because they are "professional" they get fits dibs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:13:44 PM by Scatcatpdx » Logged
luka datas
Palmer

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:34:12 AM »

nice tale of fun and adventure
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: