Author Topic: EP669/EP037: Craphound [Flashback Friday]  (Read 9611 times)

Russell Nash

on: October 12, 2008, 06:30:57 PM
EP669: Craphound

EP037: Craphound

Author: Cory Doctorow
Narrator: Jesse Thorn
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Adam Pracht

Craphound beat me out the door, as usual. His exoskeleton is programmable, so he can record little scripts for it like: move left arm to door handle, pop it, swing legs out to running-board, jump to ground, close door, move forward. Meanwhile, I’m still making sure I’ve switched off the headlights and that I’ve got my wallet.

Rated PG. Contains some profanity.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Listen to the original episode!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:24:39 PM by divs »

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:16:10 PM
This was my first exposure to a Cory Doctorow story (No, I don't live in a cave, why do you ask?). I loved how Cory developed the characters in the story and I remember enjoying the hell out of it.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:37:11 AM
It's been a while since I heard this story, and while I don't really remember the sequence of events in it, the characters are still pretty strong and well defined in my head. So, well done.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:54:10 AM
In case anyone's interested, Craphound was one of the Short stories that got converted to a comic for Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now. It's worth checking out.

[[Mods: Do that funky link-thing you do so well]]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:52:40 PM by Russell Nash »

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:47:26 PM
I think this was the first Cory Doctorow story I heard also. Very fun and imaginative.

Ah the ruthless world of flea marketing. Hehehehe

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 05:48:15 PM
In case anyone's interested, Craphound was one of the Short stories that got converted to a comic for Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now. It's worth checking out.

[[Mods: Do that funky link-thing you do so well]]

Oh, yeah. I serioulsy need to pick that up...

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 04:43:30 AM
great story and one that I have listened to multiple times when I have free time ie mowing or that time just before I fall asleep that I am listening to my Ipod

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 04:04:23 PM
I was surprised at how much I like this story, despite it being about garage sales.  The alien was cool, and the macros for movement were an interesting characterization, but above all I was actually most intrigued about the craphound culture, the code of honor, and how the alien blended itself into those. 

I think this was my first Doctorow story as well, and this makes me want to read more.  Good show!

Scatcatpdx

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:43 AM
I have been going through the archives and found this story. Perhaps I could connect to it because I been a crap hound since 2004, spending my weekend going from sale to sale and uploading my find on Ebay (my feedback is over 800).

As  for code of honor, well a little respect but I never seen any. The worst are pants suit wearing ladies who run profession estate businesses  that feel because they are "professional" they get fits dibs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:13:44 PM by Scatcatpdx »

luka datas

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:34:12 AM
nice tale of fun and adventure

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 11:08:09 AM
This one is my new farourite. I loved the story, the descriptive detail, and thought Jesse Thorn's reading was absolutely superb. Everything about it was perfect. I loved the way they fell out over the cowboy stuff, the alien was so...human ! This is one of those tales I'll keep thinking about from time to time. A real gem.

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 08:57:12 AM
I really liked this one, too.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 08:59:43 AM
I think the story was OK (this is my fourth Doctorow story, and they are all quite alike in style), but I wanted to comment on Alistair's outdo for the flashback version: that was excellent and very insightful. I really have to reevaluate my CD and DVD collections now. Seriously, what a great talk!

MagaLogica

• Extern
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 05:32:37 PM
Wow! First time I read this kind of short story and I´m amazed!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 08:28:59 PM
Fun story, but I am not sure I got the same thing out of it that most people did. I've lived in Toronto, so I ended up focusing more on all the Toronto (and surround cottage country) locations and -isms peppered throughout. The mispronunciation of Yonge Street was off-putting (it's pronounced "Young", as in "not old"). Otherwise, the story was interesting, but I am not sure why, if the aliens came here to collect stories/story poems, they were suddenly ready to leave so unexpectedly. Humans never run out of stories and are constantly making more....