Author Topic: PodCastle Miniature 017: All Flee the Vocab. Quiz  (Read 15827 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Re: PodCastle Miniature 017: All Flee the Vocab. Quiz
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »
You see, I imagined the reader selection process more like this:

Rachel: I've got myself down for "Scar Stories" so I need to find someone for "All Flee the Vocab Quiz".  Anybody?

Steve: No thanks.  I remember that one from the Flash Competition.  If I wanted to embarrass myself by reading the-words-that-only-Lovecraft-uses-that-nobody-knows-how-to-pronounce I'd have bought it for EscapePod already.

Rachel: Ben?  It's got a horror element.

Ben: Nuh-uh.  If Steve won't touch it, I'm fashioning myself a ten-foot pole not to touch it with.  How about one of our British friends?  They know all sorts of old-fashioned words.  I bet they call each other squamous all the time.

Voice of Frank Key [from the ceiling, like the voice of God]: If you think I'm falling for that you're even more stupid than I realised.  You can't give me "Vocab" on top of "Grand Guignol".

Ben: Hey, how about Alasdair?  He likes Lovecraft.

Rachel: Is it really fair to allocate him in absentia?

Steve: Yes.  Yes it is.

Joking aside, it's an excellent story, and one that really stuck in my mind from the competition.  But I think I enjoyed it even more read by Alasdair.  Kudos all round.

That was better than the story.
"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Haha, I like the imagined interaction between the editors.  I picture them all sitting around a round table, Rachel in some kind of Olde Tyme garb, perhaps a corset, or maybe a tunic.  Steven is speaking from the mouth of a surrogate android with a viewscreen for a face that shows a picture of his real face.  Ben is lurking in the shadows.  :)

This story was alright, kind of fun, cool to see the result of forum contests.  The title didn't suit it particularly well.  Overall, not bad, a nice bit of flash.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »
how have I not commented on this? Adorable story wonderfully read.
Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.