Author Topic: Gay Fiction Podcasts  (Read 7994 times)

davedoty

• Peltast
on: October 30, 2008, 09:08:41 AM
Does anyone know if there are any gay fiction podcasts out there?  I'd prefer something with short fiction from various authors, but I'll take anything people can point me to.  I can find all sorts of gay culture podcasts, and even gay sci-fi podcasts, but no actual gay fiction (well, not a dedicated gay fiction podcast).

And no, I don't mean... THAT kind of gay fiction.  Although in all honesty, if someone pointed to it, I'd listen. :)

The closest I've found are livejournal groups posting audio versions of slash fiction, which is neither gay fiction (in my mind) nor a podcast.

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:21 AM
I'd say that if you don't hear about anything on the gay cultural podcasts, there aren't any yet.  I say yet because it is inevitable that there will be a podcast for everything eventually.  If you want to get some motion on this, I'd start sending emails to the gay cultural podcasts.  Maybe they'll talk about it and get someone thinking.  Of course you could always start one yourself.

Zathras

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:03:08 PM
I'd say that if you don't hear about anything on the gay cultural podcasts, there aren't any yet.  I say yet because it is inevitable that there will be a podcast for everything eventually.  If you want to get some motion on this, I'd start sending emails to the gay cultural podcasts.  Maybe they'll talk about it and get someone thinking.  Of course you could always start one yourself.

SEIZE THE GAY!!!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:17:56 PM

Suggestion: Call it "Fierce Fiction".  ;)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 04:56:05 AM
Okay, seriously ... again I wonder, and have to ask: what exactly is "gay" fiction?  What makes it "gay"?  The writer?  The characters?  The setting?  The plot?  All of the above?  None of the above?

Enquiring minds, and all that ....

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 05:26:13 AM
for the most part, to paraphrase Steve and others re: science fiction, gay fiction is what we point to when we talk about gay fiction.  In publishing terms, gay fiction almost invariably involves some flavor of non-heteronormal author and subject matter.  (Man, is it hard to find the right way to phrase that.)  Sometimes, but not always, it's aimed specifically at an audience of the same.

Does it HAVE to be that?  Eh, I'm not that interested in quibbling over definitions.  If someone wants to count work by straight authors about gay characters, or vice versa, or some other atypical scenario as gay fiction, they can knock themselves out.  I'll read the description, then read it or not as my tastes dictate.

Sorry, decades of arguing about what constitutes science fiction has left me a little too tired to care about these things that much anymore. :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:07:34 PM
for the most part, to paraphrase Steve and others re: science fiction, gay fiction is what we point to when we talk about gay fiction.  In publishing terms, gay fiction almost invariably involves some flavor of non-heteronormal author and subject matter.  (Man, is it hard to find the right way to phrase that.)  Sometimes, but not always, it's aimed specifically at an audience of the same.

Does it HAVE to be that?  Eh, I'm not that interested in quibbling over definitions.  If someone wants to count work by straight authors about gay characters, or vice versa, or some other atypical scenario as gay fiction, they can knock themselves out.  I'll read the description, then read it or not as my tastes dictate.

Sorry, decades of arguing about what constitutes science fiction has left me a little too tired to care about these things that much anymore. :)

Fair enough, but since you're asking for it, it's on you to clarify what you're asking for.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 01:11:32 PM
I'd check out anything people thought might fit the bill.