Author Topic: Suggestions for best way to record readings?  (Read 11625 times)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
on: November 02, 2008, 10:25:33 PM
I was wondering if those who records podcasts could suggest the best way to go about setting up to record on a pc.  I'd originally tried doing some recording on a handheld Sony recorder that converted the files into wav (and from there I converted it to mp3) but the microphone setting were such that the lowest setting was crap and the highest setting made it impossible to move without excessive noise.

I'm assuming the best thing is a headphone set with a swing-down microphone (I've currently got cheap Logitech phones with a microphone but the mike might be crap for actually recording). What I'm really interested in is if anyone has a preference for a recording program that allows small, easy edits.

I'm running Windows Xp. I'll provide any additional info if needed.  Be kind, I know practically nothing about computers.

Zathras

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:40:47 PM
Well, I can't help with the programs, but I can tell you a few things that will help.

1.  Record in your bedroom, especially if you have thick curtains.  The bed will act as a bass sump. 
2.  Tapestries not only look cool, they help with softening the walls.  Barring that, pillows help a lot.
3.  Listen to your recordings on the crappiest speakers you have.  If it sounds good on them, it'll sound great on high dollar speakers.

If you have a room that you can dedicate to recording, you can just put some top mattresses against the walls.  Hard flat surfaces are bad.  Bass waves need something thick to absorb them.  We're talking 4' here.

I could probably find you a link to acoustic sites, if you're interested.

goatkeeper

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:21 AM
don't settle on a crappy mic.  the #1 thing is to have a good mic and a quiet room.
worry about edit programs when you've got good sound to edit.  there's a lot of standard software you can go with.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:04:34 AM by goatkeeper »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:09:53 AM
2.  Tapestries not only look cool, they help with softening the walls.  Barring that, pillows help a lot.
[...]
If you have a room that you can dedicate to recording, you can just put some top mattresses against the walls.  Hard flat surfaces are bad.  Bass waves need something thick to absorb them.  We're talking 4' here.

Closets with a lot of clothing do about the same.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zathras

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:01:27 PM
Closets are good, too.  Just make sure the door and back wall are obscured.

When I had my recording studio, it was amazing how "dead" our vocal booth sounded.  We had an 8' x 6' room that was about 7' high, the walls were brick.  It sounded so bad before we started putting in the walls and coverings that the end result was just short of unbelievable.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:23:57 PM
Well, I can't help with the programs, but I can tell you a few things that will help.

1.  Record in your bedroom, especially if you have thick curtains.  The bed will act as a bass sump. 
3.  Listen to your recordings on the crappiest speakers you have.  If it sounds good on them, it'll sound great on high dollar speakers.

4: You can make a cheap and effective "pop filter" with a wire garment hanger and a nylon stocking.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Zathras

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:26:23 PM

4: You can make a cheap and effective "pop filter" with a wire garment hanger and a nylon stocking.

You can do other interesting things with a wire hanger and stockings, too.  Umm... Nevermind...

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:18:29 PM

You can do other interesting things with a wire hanger and stockings, too.  Umm... Nevermind...
For example, as any photographer knows, you can make an excellent soft-focus filter.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:25:48 AM
I guess I worded the header wrong.  I have a background in radio (but no studio available), so I know about where and how to record.  I was looking for what tech people use to record on and record with.

But thanks to everyone who took time to post.

"Record playfully, edit scientifically"
Holger Czukay

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:44:12 PM
I guess I worded the header wrong.  I have a background in radio (but no studio available), so I know about where and how to record.  I was looking for what tech people use to record on and record with.

But thanks to everyone who took time to post.

"Record playfully, edit scientifically"
Holger Czukay

I've used the H4's, they're pretty good.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 10:40:33 PM
If you don't already have a computer, Mac Minis, are wonderfully quiet. Drawback is you will need either a mic preamp, or a USB mic, or a USB mic preamp (e.g. a Griffin iMic), since the audio input is only line level.

The "Need Help? Got Advice?" forum - http://librivox.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=23 - at Librivox.org has many threads relating to reading aloud, PC recording and editing techniques, mic use, low-budget equipment, etc. Librivox is populated by a fairly large community of volunteer readers. Many of them have never made recordings before, a few have lots of experience.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 07:52:48 PM
I would love suggestions for budget recording equipment, if any.

In another forum, Rachel had suggested that one could get a halfway decent recording setup for $40-50.  That sounds great, but I would love people's recommendations for microphones and other useful equipment. 

I also like the suggestions for preparing your room for podcasting.  We have a small basement office with a carpet on the floor.  Since it has bookshelves all over, I don't think that I can add blankets to it, but maybe I could record with a blanket over my head or something...

Hmm

izzardfan

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:55 PM
maybe I could record with a blanket over my head or something...

This and your avatar combined to provide a rather amusing mental image.   ;D

Zathras

Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 01:47:41 AM
HMM, I'll ask my recording expert and get back to you.

Oh, and on a side note, the 'hawk is purple now.

PURPLE!

Zathras

Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 01:52:53 AM
I would love suggestions for budget recording equipment, if any.

In another forum, Rachel had suggested that one could get a halfway decent recording setup for $40-50.  That sounds great, but I would love people's recommendations for microphones and other useful equipment. 

I also like the suggestions for preparing your room for podcasting.  We have a small basement office with a carpet on the floor.  Since it has bookshelves all over, I don't think that I can add blankets to it, but maybe I could record with a blanket over my head or something...

Hmm

PVC is your friend.  You can build a frame using PVC and elbow joints and attach your blanket to it.  The good thing with this is that it stores easily.  Bring your couch cushions down and put them in the room.  If you're worried about bass noises, you need deeper boxes for absorption, as bass waves are longer.

Don't go too cheap on the mic.  It's the most important piece of equipment for amateurs.  Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and look at what they have to offer.  Shoot them an email telling them what you are wanting to do.

As I said, I'll check with my music guy.  If you have dimensions, that will help.

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 02:41:49 AM
I love the idea of the PVC, but we have storage issues enough in my house.  I would probably wait and see how the recording works first before trying to create a PVC and blanket tent. 

And you have a purple mohawk?  Any pictures of that?  It sounds awesome.

As for the Microphone -- Dimensions?  Dimensions for what?  Are we talking size of Microphone?  Table/desk space?  Or are we talking room size?  And I would definitely love any brand name suggestions that anyone has to offer.

Hmm

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 08:07:57 AM
I was wondering if those who records podcasts could suggest the best way to go about setting up to record on a pc.  I'd originally tried doing some recording on a handheld Sony recorder that converted the files into wav (and from there I converted it to mp3) but the microphone setting were such that the lowest setting was crap and the highest setting made it impossible to move without excessive noise.

I don't know if you were actually holding the handheld, but I would have set it on a table nearby with a thick towel or cloth underneath it to protect it from the table (and then still have been extremely careful not to let anything bump or even touch the table).  We all know sound travels best through solid objects, but this is the bane of the home recorder's existence (right next to ambient sound); for this reason I recommend against wearable mikes in general.  I personally have never found a good substitute for a real boom stand.  The mike, the cord, and anything touching all of the above has to be completely out of your way or a minute motion of your head will cause the audio cord to brush gently against the table or chair, and then in the recording you get "BAM!!!"

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 08:17:54 AM
Oh sorry..  to actually answer your question:  if you can get a good mike and carefully control your placement and environment, you could just use Audacity and the onboard sound card.  The first several dozen eps of Pseudopod were done with nothing but.  I don't use (or recommend) any of Audacity's effects except Amplify and Fade In/Out.  I will note, though, that to "compress" for higher volume without clipping, I used a tedious process of zooming in and de-amping the largest spikes, then amping the entire recording, sometimes doing this in several iterations.  I call it shaving the waveform.  I am sure there are many cheap/free tools out there preferred by people who aren't insane (and they probably include Levelator), but they certainly don't include Audacity's crappy compression, noise reduction, etc.

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 08:57:03 AM
I love the idea of the PVC, but we have storage issues enough in my house.  I would probably wait and see how the recording works first before trying to create a PVC and blanket tent. 

I think what he was saying was that if you build a three-sided stand, you can then fold it down and lean it against the wall when you're all done.  Maybe this is still too big, but it would be only a couple of inches thick and two to three feet wide when stored.

Zathras

Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 02:03:04 PM
Actually, the PVC wall can be quickly disasembled entirely.  The elbow joints don't need to be sealed, so it's a "snap" to put it together and take it apart.  I made canopies for the girl's beds using PVC.

In asking dimensions, I was referring to the room.  How big is it, and how much useable space is there.

I don't have pics of the purple mohawk right now, I will by the weekend.  I do have pics of the rainbow mohawk, though.  I'll get the links up by Sunday.  I'll take some step by step pics of how to assemble the PVC and post them here.  If you can't figure out how to attach a blanket, well....   ::)

Brand names for mics:  I can't help with this one...yet.

You do want to record everything on it's own channel, that way you can balance the levels.

I'm rambling with my responses so ask any questions you have.

Zathras

Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 10:37:41 PM
I got so busy with family that I forgot.  IMO this is a good thing, though.

An easier shortcut would be to use a shower curtain rod and get some rings with clips on them to hold the blankets.

Geoff

• Extern
Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 04:28:35 AM
I've done narrations for podcasts in my spare bedroom.  Carpet, sheetrock walls, a bookshelf, computer desk, and a few pictures.... the acoustics of the room are fine.  I use an MXI USB mic that makes everything sound pretty darn good.  Not bad at all for a $100 mic.  Most podcasts are compressed before they're delivered to their audience, so as long as you use a decent mic, and have a quiet room, it should turn out fine.  The recordings I do are sent to the podcast producers as an extremely clean MP3 file.  What I hear on the podcast is usually a little degraded because of the compression used so the final podcast won't be too big.

Just my thoughts.