Author Topic: On Hiatus  (Read 19707 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: November 13, 2008, 04:27:48 AM
(Copied over from the blog post.)

Folks:

Summary first.  Escape Pod is going to miss its weekly releases for the remainder of November.  We will resume in December, probably the first week. 

Now the explanation.

I suppose I could just say that I'm writing this just prior to leaving for my grandmother's funeral.  She died a few weeks ago, and the memorial service is taking place in New Jersey this weekend.  That would be sufficient excuse to miss a week by almost anyone's reckoning.  Add in a tough new day job,  lingering physical illness, and unstable brain chemistry, and I could really play for some sympathy here.  But it isn't the complete picture.

The fact is that I need some time.  I need to get regrounded, for my own health and also for the good of Escape Pod.  Since May of 2005 we have not missed a week, and I've been very proud -- perhaps hubristic -- of having one of the longest uninterrupted runs in podcasting.  We've achieved some amazing things almost by accident: we've become the number two SF market with about 25,000 listeners, we've brought attention to incredible stories by previously unknown authors, and we've grown into a real business with two additional podcasts.  From a strategic point of view we're doing all right.  We're not totally where I wanted to be by now, but fundamentally we're succeeding.

But tactically, with Escape Pod in particular, I've been flying way too close to the ground.  It's been week-to-week and barely controlled chaos for a really long time now.  My communication's always been behind, but now it's by months.  The releases keep slipping, and sometimes I don't know on Monday what the week's story will be.  It's been costing me more sleep than usual.  These are resolvable issues; I have a nice clear to-do list of obvious things that would make my job a lot easier.  ("Better delegation" covers about half the list.)  But I haven't been stepping back to do any of them.  Even when I have the time, it's been hard to muster the energy.

Most of all, I'm afraid of losing my perspective.  For a while now I've been pushing myself so hard on EP that it's close to becoming more Not Fun than Fun.  I'm in danger of forgetting why I'm doing it.  And that is not something I can permit.  If I lose my own passion for the stories, I know I won't be the only one who suffers.  That's the point at which the podcast will start to suck.

So I'm doing a very, very difficult thing right now for the sake of long-term success: I'm letting myself fail for a few weeks.  I'm taking a breather, relaxing a bit, and trying to forgive myself for doing it.  I'm going to do right by my grandmother, and then I'm going to take a few days to just chill, and then I'm going to see what I need to do to get organized and get on top of the game again.

I know it's risky to pin such things to a schedule.  But I'm pretty confident in the range of this hiatus: it will not be less than two weeks, and it should not be more than four.  The smart money's on three weeks, putting us back on in the first week of December.  We already have some great stuff pending.  We have the next Union Dues story, and in my opinion it's the best one yet.  We have a fantastic alien world story from this year's Cambpell Award winner, Mary Robinette Kowal.  And Mur Lafferty is preparing what may be the most kickass science fiction Christmas story ever.  I promise you we'll be back soon, because dammit, I want to hear those things in audio.

Two logistical points:

First, PodCastle and Pseudopod aren't affected.  Rachel and Ann and Ben and Al are totally in the groove, and Escape Artists as a company is doing fine.  This announcement only affects Escape Pod.  So you've still got a short fiction fix, and if those aren't enough, feel free to check out some others.

Second, I'm well aware that donors have a pretty good reason to be upset.  You're giving your money on an article of faith, after all -- that we'll use it to keep bringing you stories -- and if we're not bringing them to you, even temporarily, we're not keeping that trust.  We've recently had some very substantial donations, ones which I have yet to send proper thank-you messages for.  (Those are coming too.)  I'm hoping most of you will be cool with my reasoning here and bear with us.  But if you've donated in the past few months and you object to this hiatus, e-mail me from your PayPal address and let me know, and I will refund your money to you, no questions asked.  I would honestly rather keep your goodwill than your cash.

...So there you have it.  That's the honest explanation of what's going on, as best I can state it.  I'll be spending the next few weeks gathering my wits, my priorities, and a team, probably in that order.  And then you'll have more stories.  We'll be back soon.  In the meantime, thank you for any patience you're willing to give.

And of course: Have Fun.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:42:21 AM
hey Steve sounds like you have had a rough few weeks... I will be praying for you and I am sure I speak for many of the EP fans when I say if there is any thing we can do to help you let us know

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:47:25 AM
Condolences on your grandmother.

And you've more than earned a break. Thank you so much for all you've done and are doing.

Be well!

Zathras

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:09:21 AM
Get straightened out.  Gotta take care of yourself.

Can I suggest that you re-release an older episode or 5 so that we can still have a story?  I don't know how much work would be involved or what the rights to the stories allow, just making a suggestion.

Be well.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:26 AM

Take care.  Escape Pod is, in some sense, a Big Deal, but not a big enough deal to tear yourself or your family up over, especially when there are other issues. 

And as for your concern about the reaction of donors, speaking for myself I'll say that I regard this as "skipped" or "combined" issue, something that virtually all magazines I subscribe to do on a regular basis. Or maybe as the "shutdown for regular maintenance" that almost all IT organizations do from time to time. (As I recall, my employer did not dock us for those four days of downtime when we brought the new data center up.)  As you do long-term planning, you may want to schedule something like that: "Escape Pod is a weekly podcast, except for..." and just work that in for yourself on a regular basis. 

Looking forward to the stories when you're back. 

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

eytanz

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:21 AM
Steve - you really shouldn't think of this as "failing for a few weeks". You're taking a break. A very, very well-deserved break. You've been working on EP for 3.5 years; and you've been doing alone a job that in both PP and PC is split over two people. Please, take some time to recharge and refresh, and don't think for a moment you're disappointing anyone, since you're not.

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:32 AM
Seriously, Steve - I am sorry that you feel the need to apologize for taking some time to pull yourself together, when it is the work you're doing for OUR entertainment that is partly exhausting you. You are doing an amazing job, all by yourself, and I think we are sometimes taking you for granted and forget how much of your time and effort goes into EP. Please be assured of how much we appreciate what you do for us and I for one am very grateful. You definitely deserve a break and a bit of time and distance makes the anticipation for the the next stories and the enjoyment even greater. (Besides, I am actually almost thankful, as I have a whole lot of old episodes I still have to catch up with and never get around to.)

Take care, and take some sleep. !!!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:36:30 PM
For God's sake, man, don't worry about taking a break!  It's certainly well-deserved.  Thank you for all you've given us over the past 3 1/2 years and all.  That said, we care about you and want you to feel better.  So don't feel guilty!

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I hope you come back feeling recharged.  Please let us know if there's anything we can do.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:04 PM
I can't say I won't miss EP for the next few weeks, but it sounds like this is absolutely the right decision. Take a break, get yourself straight, and we'll still be here when you get back.

As others have said, if there's anything we can do...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:11:26 PM
I will, of course, miss my EP story fix.  That said, a break is a wonderful thing. Everyone needs vacation time. This is NOT failure, this is "getting it together".

Keep us updated on when EP will be returning, and otherwise take care oif you and yours.  Sanity is worth the time and effort, and your continued happiness with this project will keep it coming in ways that will make us (your audience, fans, listeners, and perhaps friends) happy too.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 02:49:40 PM
NPR shows (wait, wait don't tell me, Selected shorts, this American life,…) avg. approx. 26 eps/year
Broadcast Television (weekly shows)  avg. approx. 22 eps/year
EscapePod avg. approx. 52 eps/year (51 after hiatus)

I think you can hold your head high as you take your break, man. 

godzilla8nj

• Extern
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:47:32 PM
In response to Steve's offer to refund donor money to those upset with him taking a well-deserved breather I will be making an additional donation. Let's show our support that way. Steve, be well and be back when you can.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 05:04:09 PM
Take as long as you want. After all the happiness and fun you've brought to our lives, we can't begrudge you a week off to help yours.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:08:04 PM
In response to Steve's offer to refund donor money to those upset with him taking a well-deserved breather I will be making an additional donation. Let's show our support that way. Steve, be well and be back when you can.

That sounds like a good idea. It's way too long since I donated anyhow.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:02:34 PM
Do what you have to.  We'll be here when you come back.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

goatkeeper

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:19 AM
As someone else who does a fiction podcast magazine on a weekly basis, I empathize greatly with everything Steve said he's going through.  I'm AMAZED he's done it uninterrupted for so long. 
Reading/finding, buying and producing qualty stuff every few days, when you have a real job, a family, and other things to do- it's draining in all aspects. 

Just this Monday night I read a story that Samantha Henderson had sent in the day before.  I wrote her back within  two hours saying- "We'd love to buy this story, we're going to run it tomorrow night if that's ok, here's the contract."  Thankfully she was cool with it!

I was up at 2 am trying to get the episode up, thinking I was the only one going through this type of thing.  Steve's always doggin his time-management skills but he's doing it from the perspective of a major diety of podcasting who also juggles a family, a job and lord knows how many girlfriends, (lucky bastard.)
From the perspective of someone who only does weekly flash fiction stories, doesn't have a family, and can't even effectively manage one girlfriend- he's a freakin time-management savant.
And he totally deserves all the time he needs and all the support we can give.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 02:08:38 AM
Ironically, as I was finally catching up to Escape Pod (still behind on PC), I was thinking to myself - I can barely keep up with listening to the episodes, how can Steve keep _producing_ these things week in and week out? I know it's not a single person effort, but it is a singular achievement.

You, sir, have done an amazing job!

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 02:33:17 AM
Hear hear, me 2, what he/she said, ditto and all that.

You continue to prove that you are a man of character.  Do take all the time you need, and be very proud of what you have acheived!

We all look forward to the next "season" of Escape Pod.

shwankie

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:39:27 PM
Real Life happens, as the saying goes. Take your time, Steve, and we'll be here.

As a thought, maybe you could consider finding a guest host for the future, so you can take planned time off and also have some coverage for emergencies. This could lessen the stress when something comes up. Most regular features and shows have occasional guest hosts for these reasons (Diane Rehm and almost all the other NPR hosts, for example). It might allow you to take a week or two off a year planned as vacation while still keeping the business of EP flowing.

Just an idea. Toss it around when you get back, if you like. In the meantime, we're all wishing you well.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 02:30:16 PM
Real Life happens, as the saying goes. Take your time, Steve, and we'll be here.

As a thought, maybe you could consider finding a guest host for the future, so you can take planned time off and also have some coverage for emergencies. This could lessen the stress when something comes up. Most regular features and shows have occasional guest hosts for these reasons (Diane Rehm and almost all the other NPR hosts, for example). It might allow you to take a week or two off a year planned as vacation while still keeping the business of EP flowing.

But Steve isn't just the host -- he's also the editor and producer, ne?  Just having a guest host wouldn't be enough to keep the show going.

Zathras

Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 02:43:20 PM

But Steve isn't just the host -- he's also the editor and producer, ne?  Just having a guest host wouldn't be enough to keep the show going.

He could have a guest host do a "best of", that always works.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 02:57:33 PM
So… The End of the World As We Know It.

As if I wasn’t paranoid enough.

Steve goes on Hiatus and the financial markets tremble.

But really Steve, take whatever time you need. You’ve done a great job for us. Given us more than we deserve. Given us pleasure and intellectual stimulation. We all love you. I wish we could give you as much as you have given us.

For the truly paranoid:
100 Items to Disappear First in an Economic Collapse

Lessons from Argentina's economic collapse

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 03:47:41 PM

Zathras

Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 03:49:17 PM
For the truly paranoid:

So glad that #19 has never been a concern.  :)
Had to double check the list, I thought you might have gone for #24 there.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 03:56:35 PM
For the truly paranoid:

So glad that #19 has never been a concern.  :)
Had to double check the list, I thought you might have gone for #24 there.

#24 not a concern for myself, but I do have a wife.

Zathras

Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 03:58:08 PM

So you're not a 12 year old girl after all?

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 04:53:02 PM
Steve, honestly - since I found Escape Pod last year, I literally downloaded the entire back catalog and listened to everything in it - then went on to Podcastle and Pseudopod and beyond, into the general world of podcast fiction.  But Escape Pod started it for me.  Before this, it was just Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me and The News From Lake Woebegone.

So... Take your break, replenish your reserves and relax a little!  You do an amazing job, and I don't think there's anyone who could be angry about you taking some time off.

For the truly paranoid:

Lessons from Argentina's economic collapse

Just thinking about that stuff is enough to make ME start to feel paranoia creeping in...

Formerly Ignoranus - now too big for my britches, literally and figuratively.

shwankie

Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 06:19:17 PM

He could have a guest host do a "best of", that always works.

He does, indeed, and that is a good point. There are a lot of ways to get around that. Diane Rehm does a lot of her own behind-the-scenes work, as well; but, once in a while she turns the reigns over to someone else. It comes down to delegating and business decisions. Steve makes EP what it is, and we all know that. It's a bit part of why we're all here. However, it seems as thought it's gone beyond a one-person show, and into a real and viable business, which (at least it's my impression) is where Steve wanted it to go. Taking something into a business means new types of decisions and often realizing you can't do everything all the time (I've had to learn this in my business, and I am a control freak; so, I know exactly how difficult this can be). It may mean letting someone else produce an episode occasionally so Steve can deal with other things. Or, it may not, and there may be other options. But, a guest host, a guest producer/editor, a "best of show," a few "favorite moments/stories of the year" shows, etc. are all pretty viable options often used by many shows for just this kind of occasion.

I am not saying Steve needed or should have done it this time. Just that it might be a workable idea to start scheduling some breaks for himself  in the future. Everyone needs breaks, and having a plan for that time is, IMHO, part a solid business plan.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 07:02:11 PM
No best of. How can you have a best of, unless old episodes were rereleased. If so, then we here could do that. Use the stories from old mp3s of the episodes we have and add our own commentary. (Copyright Infrigement, agreement violation? IDK.

Zathras

Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 07:13:57 PM
Best of:

Geek dad intro/outro

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 07:15:22 PM
Having re-read the original post, I'm inclined to suggest that Mr Eley make a point of not producing more than 50 episodes a year; whether that means no EP for two weeks, or two guest-produced episodes a year is a question for another time, but as much as I admire Mr Eley's amazing achievements with EP (and if I were him, I'd be more than merely proud - I'd start every sentence I uttered with "speaking as someone with [one of] the longest uninterrupted podcasting runs..."), I don't want to see him kill himself over it; not now, and not five years down the line.

Everyone deserves (and needs) time off once in a while, and it's easier to avoid feeling guilty about it if it's worked into the plan in advance.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 07:47:14 PM
I'd be happy to rework some of the older episodes, given permission/a working mic (dunked in hot chocolate by accident).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 07:50:10 PM
Having re-read the original post, I'm inclined to suggest that Mr Eley make a point of not producing more than 50 episodes a year; whether that means no EP for two weeks, or two guest-produced episodes a year is a question for another time, but as much as I admire Mr Eley's amazing achievements with EP (and if I were him, I'd be more than merely proud - I'd start every sentence I uttered with "speaking as someone with [one of] the longest uninterrupted podcasting runs..."), I don't want to see him kill himself over it; not now, and not five years down the line.

Everyone deserves (and needs) time off once in a while, and it's easier to avoid feeling guilty about it if it's worked into the plan in advance.

I totally agree with this, although I think a 2 episode hiatus/vacation should be the bare minimum.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 04:35:58 AM
Best of:

Geek dad intro/outro

Nothing on Escape Pod could possibly be of less interest to me.  Not even a repeat of "Results".  I would delete such an episode unlistened.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 04:36:33 AM

So you're not a 12 year old girl after all?

That would be telling;)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 04:37:13 AM
Best of:

Geek dad intro/outro

Nothing on Escape Pod could possibly be of less interest to me.  Not even a repeat of "Results".  I would delete such an episode unlistened.

I think he was kidding. :p

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 04:43:37 AM

Going forward, another compromise between full-stop and full-episode that occured to me was an abbreviated format that didn't have an intro/outro and could be left in the hands of a reader and audio producer once the story was selected -- either a flash piece, combination of flash pieces, or a long one, like PodCastle's "Giants."  Ideally, a "classic" that could be done, given a two-or-three sentence intro, kept on ice for months, and pulled out when needed.

Just thinking out loud... 

Zathras

Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 02:17:23 PM
Best of:

Geek dad intro/outro

I think he was kidding. :p

Yup, forgot to leave one of these.   :P

Praxis

Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 12:41:36 AM
Hey Steve.

To purloin a line from Garden State, you are really "in it, right now".
Tbh, I recognise your situation (if not the specific brain chemistry ;-)  ) and at the moment nothing will help more than time (of your own) and space (again, of your own) and less monkeys on your back.
Kind words and expressions of "it's not that bad" will start to kick in and seem real around about the time you don't need to hear them anyway.

Take as much time as you want before you 'come back' to Escape Podding.

Whether the podcast itself should stop is a different matter.
How about a guest editorship for a few weeks?

P

Rest.  Relax.  Enjoy the hiatus. 
And that means having a proper break, not just no more official releases, while you work on madly in the background.
If it has got to the stage where you have to stop the podcast for a bit then you, too, need to
s    l   o    w       d   o   w   n

Russell Nash

Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 09:49:56 AM
I think a regular hiatus would be a good idea.  Just something already scheduled in.  Either "No EP August" or two weeks off in August and two in February. 

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 10:03:54 AM
^^

Agreed.

eytanz

Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 10:28:10 AM
I'm starting to worry that this thread is becoming quite problematic - it started out as people offering support but now has become two or so pages of people making unsolicited suggestions to Steve about how to run his business. I know everyone means well, but - speaking as someone who has had to deal with major anxiety issues himself - that may make things harder on him rather than easier. Not saying it will or won't, but Steve asked us for patience, not advice, and I think that until Steve explicitly asks us for advice on what to do, it's best to lay off offering it, and rather just make it clear that, as a community, we'll support his decisions regarding EP in the weeks to come.

shwankie

Reply #42 on: November 16, 2008, 03:47:17 PM
Eytanz, I see your point, but I don't totally agree.

I believe that most of the advice, solicited or not, here has been offered in the spirit of support. I think everyone has said that they wish Steve well, are totally fine with him taking time off, and will be here when he gets back. The advice part is less about how to run his business, IMHO, than it is about offering supportive ideas because we all (okay, I, at least, hope) that Steve can find a happy medium between his business and his personal life, so that both are successful.

Sometimes, support and well-wishes include advice, thoughts, and hopes.  Escape Pod is a business. I'd wager a fair number of people here are investors in that business, who are also personally interested in Steve's well-being because we care about him as a person. As such, it's only reasonable to offer thoughts on ways to help mitigate the situation in the future. We are so supportive pretty much everyone here has said "Yes! Take Time! In fact, we're totally good with you taking time more often for yourself, your family, and your creative juices!" Giving ways to do that, again IMHO, *is* supportive by letting Steve know we'd be fine with less episodes, differently hosted episodes, etc. if it makes his life and EP better.

Also, and I have to be honest about this, putting your life on the Web invites commentary. In this case, thankfully, it's all friendly commentary because Steve and EA are wonderful entities in and of themselves. But, truthfully, if Steve doesn't want feedback, I think he would probably be less personal about his posts and outros.

eytanz

Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 04:00:33 PM
Eytanz, I see your point, but I don't totally agree.

I believe that most of the advice, solicited or not, here has been offered in the spirit of support. I think everyone has said that they wish Steve well, are totally fine with him taking time off, and will be here when he gets back. The advice part is less about how to run his business, IMHO, than it is about offering supportive ideas because we all (okay, I, at least, hope) that Steve can find a happy medium between his business and his personal life, so that both are successful.

I agree with the sentiment. But the point is - I think Steve also deserves our trust. He has done a remarkable job so far, created something really excellent in Escape Pod, and I believe that he will continue doing so, in a way that works for him. I know that everyone here is being supportive, but whatever the exact nature of Steve's crisis, we shouldn't take his admission of its existence as an excuse to play armchair life coaches.

I'd wager a fair number of people here are investors in that business

No, I don't think anyone here is an investor in the business. Investors are people who give money in return for an obligation. We're customers, and some of us make donations which makes us paying customers, but Steve does not owe us anything back. It's worth remembering that.

As such, it's only reasonable to offer thoughts on ways to help mitigate the situation in the future. We are so supportive pretty much everyone here has said "Yes! Take Time! In fact, we're totally good with you taking time more often for yourself, your family, and your creative juices!" Giving ways to do that, again IMHO, *is* supportive by letting Steve know we'd be fine with less episodes, differently hosted episodes, etc. if it makes his life and EP better.

I understand this, believe me. But as someone who has gone through something that, based on Steve's description, shares a lot with his current situation, I also know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Also, and I have to be honest about this, putting your life on the Web invites commentary. In this case, thankfully, it's all friendly commentary because Steve and EA are wonderful entities in and of themselves. But, truthfully, if Steve doesn't want feedback, I think he would probably be less personal about his posts and outros.

He has been less personal, for a while now. And he made it quite clear in his posting that the only reason he's telling this to us now is because he feels he owes an explanation for EP's hiatus. I think it's exceedingly unfair to let the fact that Steve has been perhaps too forthcoming in the past obscure the fact that he seems to value his privacy more now.

Anyway, I realize I'm also continuing to publicly discuss Steve's personal life here, and therefore I will not continue discussing this - I've said what I think about this, and I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:05:27 PM by eytanz »

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 06:34:25 PM
I'm starting to worry that this thread is becoming quite problematic - it started out as people offering support but now has become two or so pages of people making unsolicited suggestions to Steve about how to run his business. I know everyone means well, but - speaking as someone who has had to deal with major anxiety issues himself - that may make things harder on him rather than easier. Not saying it will or won't, but Steve asked us for patience, not advice, and I think that until Steve explicitly asks us for advice on what to do, it's best to lay off offering it, and rather just make it clear that, as a community, we'll support his decisions regarding EP in the weeks to come.

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it that way until you said it.  I took the discussion about refunding donations as including an implicit question on "What sort of changes to the EP schedule does the audience find acceptable?"  But in thinking it over, you're right, he didn't really ask.

I'll be quiet now...

Peter Germany

• Extern
Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 07:03:45 PM
Hey man, i lost my Nan just over  a year ago.  it hits each of us differently and can be hell.  I've been listening for just over a month now and it has opened my eyes to a world which i did not know exsisted.  Escape Pod has introduced me to Scott Sigler!  i may have missed some great stuuf from him.  And as for all the stroies that have opened my eyes that Sci-Fi is not just spaceships and intergalctic battles i don't think that i would have the same view of the world that i do know.  It has had a massively positive effect on my own writing and I feel that i'm part of a society whcih spans the entire planet.
Take the time with your wife, son and family to grieve for your Nan and hopefully the time will give you what you need.
Come back when you're ready mate.  I've still got 67 episodes to catch up on.
All the best Mate.

Russell Nash

Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 09:54:27 PM
All the best Mate.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and say we have another one from Oz here.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 10:54:38 PM
All the best Mate.

Isn't there a spray or something we could use to keep them out of here? :)

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

shwankie

Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 11:20:45 PM

I agree with the sentiment. But the point is - I think Steve also deserves our trust. He has done a remarkable job so far, created something really excellent in Escape Pod, and I believe that he will continue doing so, in a way that works for him. I know that everyone here is being supportive, but whatever the exact nature of Steve's crisis, we shouldn't take his admission of its existence as an excuse to play armchair life coaches.

I'd wager a fair number of people here are investors in that business

No, I don't think anyone here is an investor in the business. Investors are people who give money in return for an obligation. We're customers, and some of us make donations which makes us paying customers, but Steve does not owe us anything back. It's worth remembering that.

As such, it's only reasonable to offer thoughts on ways to help mitigate the situation in the future. We are so supportive pretty much everyone here has said "Yes! Take Time! In fact, we're totally good with you taking time more often for yourself, your family, and your creative juices!" Giving ways to do that, again IMHO, *is* supportive by letting Steve know we'd be fine with less episodes, differently hosted episodes, etc. if it makes his life and EP better.

I understand this, believe me. But as someone who has gone through something that, based on Steve's description, shares a lot with his current situation, I also know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

He has been less personal, for a while now. And he made it quite clear in his posting that the only reason he's telling this to us now is because he feels he owes an explanation for EP's hiatus. I think it's exceedingly unfair to let the fact that Steve has been perhaps too forthcoming in the past obscure the fact that he seems to value his privacy more now.

Anyway, I realize I'm also continuing to publicly discuss Steve's personal life here, and therefore I will not continue discussing this - I've said what I think about this, and I'll leave it at that.

As someone who has also gone through something similar as well, I found it *helpful* to have people give me good, solid suggestions that showed me the person cared, understood, and wanted to be there for me. So, I am not sure it's fair to say that simply because you have been through it, then another person going through it must feel the same. Steve is an adult, and he can choose to read or not read, follow or not follow, the ideas here.

I don't think anyone has been playing armchair life coach. No one has tried to tell Steve how to handle his life, we've made suggestions about one particular thing: possible ideas for taking time off of EP in the future. No one is speculating on his personal situation, the reasons or extent of what is going on, what prompted the hiatus, or literally anything else not related to a few completely viable and well-reasoned options for what patrons might like to see on the BUSINESS side of EP, should he want to take more time off some day for some reason.

We aren't invading his privacy. No one here is asking questions about his personal life, which would be an invasion. We are also not discussing his personal life, other than to say "good for you, do what you need to do." We're not discussing his relationships, his family, his health, or anything else "personal." We've been discussing, again, things we might like to see on EP, a business, should the proprietor take a vacation.

Regarding investors vs. customers. Different people on the forums have differing opinions, but I'll go with customers/paying customers.It makes little difference Customers often discuss with proprietors things they'd like to see in the future, products they would and would not like, services that would be useful, changes in hours, etc. As customers, it's still completely relevant to discuss the policies, products, and other related issues for the business you patronize.

Regarding Steve being less personal, I agree, he has been. And, no one here has been discussing things from the past; so, again, I am not sure where the problem lies. He put out a statement that included some information relating to his taking leave. Discussion has stayed limited to that information. Steve chose to put it on the boards, which I understand, appreciate, and respect. In doing so, I am sure he expected discussion. I do trust Steve, he's an intelligent guy. I certainly trust him to know that discussion would take place because people care about him and EP, and to have locked the thread if that was a problem.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 12:05:45 AM
All the best Mate.

What, Limeys don't say "mate"?  ;)

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 11:26:00 AM
All the best Mate.

He's had one in development for a while but so far it hasn't passed stage 1 clinical trials. I still kept turning up on his doorstep.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 12:25:10 PM
All the best Mate.

He's had one in development for a while but so far it hasn't passed stage 1 clinical trials. I still kept turning up on his doorstep.

Eew, it's attracting them!

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 07:22:05 PM
English people say mate, but only in certain districts. The chaos has been contained.

And I know rude jokes about Australians... but none suitable for a friendly, family community like Escape Pod.

Peter Germany

• Extern
Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:18 PM
No i'm not from Oz, i'm BRITISH and i think i say 'Mate' alot because i watched alot of aussie soaps when i was younger.  The counselling is helping and that is proved as i only used the word 'Mate' twice in that post.  I'll let all know when i'm not greeting everyone with the word 'Mate'

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 02:42:19 AM
Steve,

Take the time you need.  As someone who suffers from depression/anxiety/panic attacks, I know how difficult it can be to just get out of bed in the morning.  I am amazed that you can do everything you do and still bring us EP.  Take a break, I will be here when you get back.

Your podcast introduced me to a new world that made my days more bearable in dealing with this disease.

Thank You.

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 03:20:55 PM
As the great Buttons and the Whore once said, and I'm paraphrasing here.... Steve, you are a deity.  Thus I have concluded that this break from podcasting amazingness is merely part of your great infallible plan of Escape Pod Greatness.
Yes I'm blinded by dogma but I'm entitled to it! :P

This is a very well deserved break and it's been a long time coming.  Don't worry about it!  We'll all survive a few weeks without stories, especially if it means keeping EP up and running in the long run.
I sincerely hope you get better, straighten everything out, attain Nirvana, etc. (I mean the band by the way... duh.)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #56 on: November 20, 2008, 05:58:21 PM
All the best Mate.

Eew, it's attracting them!

"Them", Cammo, not exactly truth in advertising there.