Author Topic: On Hiatus  (Read 19709 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: November 13, 2008, 04:27:48 AM
(Copied over from the blog post.)

Folks:

Summary first.  Escape Pod is going to miss its weekly releases for the remainder of November.  We will resume in December, probably the first week. 

Now the explanation.

I suppose I could just say that I'm writing this just prior to leaving for my grandmother's funeral.  She died a few weeks ago, and the memorial service is taking place in New Jersey this weekend.  That would be sufficient excuse to miss a week by almost anyone's reckoning.  Add in a tough new day job,  lingering physical illness, and unstable brain chemistry, and I could really play for some sympathy here.  But it isn't the complete picture.

The fact is that I need some time.  I need to get regrounded, for my own health and also for the good of Escape Pod.  Since May of 2005 we have not missed a week, and I've been very proud -- perhaps hubristic -- of having one of the longest uninterrupted runs in podcasting.  We've achieved some amazing things almost by accident: we've become the number two SF market with about 25,000 listeners, we've brought attention to incredible stories by previously unknown authors, and we've grown into a real business with two additional podcasts.  From a strategic point of view we're doing all right.  We're not totally where I wanted to be by now, but fundamentally we're succeeding.

But tactically, with Escape Pod in particular, I've been flying way too close to the ground.  It's been week-to-week and barely controlled chaos for a really long time now.  My communication's always been behind, but now it's by months.  The releases keep slipping, and sometimes I don't know on Monday what the week's story will be.  It's been costing me more sleep than usual.  These are resolvable issues; I have a nice clear to-do list of obvious things that would make my job a lot easier.  ("Better delegation" covers about half the list.)  But I haven't been stepping back to do any of them.  Even when I have the time, it's been hard to muster the energy.

Most of all, I'm afraid of losing my perspective.  For a while now I've been pushing myself so hard on EP that it's close to becoming more Not Fun than Fun.  I'm in danger of forgetting why I'm doing it.  And that is not something I can permit.  If I lose my own passion for the stories, I know I won't be the only one who suffers.  That's the point at which the podcast will start to suck.

So I'm doing a very, very difficult thing right now for the sake of long-term success: I'm letting myself fail for a few weeks.  I'm taking a breather, relaxing a bit, and trying to forgive myself for doing it.  I'm going to do right by my grandmother, and then I'm going to take a few days to just chill, and then I'm going to see what I need to do to get organized and get on top of the game again.

I know it's risky to pin such things to a schedule.  But I'm pretty confident in the range of this hiatus: it will not be less than two weeks, and it should not be more than four.  The smart money's on three weeks, putting us back on in the first week of December.  We already have some great stuff pending.  We have the next Union Dues story, and in my opinion it's the best one yet.  We have a fantastic alien world story from this year's Cambpell Award winner, Mary Robinette Kowal.  And Mur Lafferty is preparing what may be the most kickass science fiction Christmas story ever.  I promise you we'll be back soon, because dammit, I want to hear those things in audio.

Two logistical points:

First, PodCastle and Pseudopod aren't affected.  Rachel and Ann and Ben and Al are totally in the groove, and Escape Artists as a company is doing fine.  This announcement only affects Escape Pod.  So you've still got a short fiction fix, and if those aren't enough, feel free to check out some others.

Second, I'm well aware that donors have a pretty good reason to be upset.  You're giving your money on an article of faith, after all -- that we'll use it to keep bringing you stories -- and if we're not bringing them to you, even temporarily, we're not keeping that trust.  We've recently had some very substantial donations, ones which I have yet to send proper thank-you messages for.  (Those are coming too.)  I'm hoping most of you will be cool with my reasoning here and bear with us.  But if you've donated in the past few months and you object to this hiatus, e-mail me from your PayPal address and let me know, and I will refund your money to you, no questions asked.  I would honestly rather keep your goodwill than your cash.

...So there you have it.  That's the honest explanation of what's going on, as best I can state it.  I'll be spending the next few weeks gathering my wits, my priorities, and a team, probably in that order.  And then you'll have more stories.  We'll be back soon.  In the meantime, thank you for any patience you're willing to give.

And of course: Have Fun.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:42:21 AM
hey Steve sounds like you have had a rough few weeks... I will be praying for you and I am sure I speak for many of the EP fans when I say if there is any thing we can do to help you let us know

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:47:25 AM
Condolences on your grandmother.

And you've more than earned a break. Thank you so much for all you've done and are doing.

Be well!

Zathras

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:09:21 AM
Get straightened out.  Gotta take care of yourself.

Can I suggest that you re-release an older episode or 5 so that we can still have a story?  I don't know how much work would be involved or what the rights to the stories allow, just making a suggestion.

Be well.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:26 AM

Take care.  Escape Pod is, in some sense, a Big Deal, but not a big enough deal to tear yourself or your family up over, especially when there are other issues. 

And as for your concern about the reaction of donors, speaking for myself I'll say that I regard this as "skipped" or "combined" issue, something that virtually all magazines I subscribe to do on a regular basis. Or maybe as the "shutdown for regular maintenance" that almost all IT organizations do from time to time. (As I recall, my employer did not dock us for those four days of downtime when we brought the new data center up.)  As you do long-term planning, you may want to schedule something like that: "Escape Pod is a weekly podcast, except for..." and just work that in for yourself on a regular basis. 

Looking forward to the stories when you're back. 

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

eytanz

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:21 AM
Steve - you really shouldn't think of this as "failing for a few weeks". You're taking a break. A very, very well-deserved break. You've been working on EP for 3.5 years; and you've been doing alone a job that in both PP and PC is split over two people. Please, take some time to recharge and refresh, and don't think for a moment you're disappointing anyone, since you're not.

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:32 AM
Seriously, Steve - I am sorry that you feel the need to apologize for taking some time to pull yourself together, when it is the work you're doing for OUR entertainment that is partly exhausting you. You are doing an amazing job, all by yourself, and I think we are sometimes taking you for granted and forget how much of your time and effort goes into EP. Please be assured of how much we appreciate what you do for us and I for one am very grateful. You definitely deserve a break and a bit of time and distance makes the anticipation for the the next stories and the enjoyment even greater. (Besides, I am actually almost thankful, as I have a whole lot of old episodes I still have to catch up with and never get around to.)

Take care, and take some sleep. !!!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:36:30 PM
For God's sake, man, don't worry about taking a break!  It's certainly well-deserved.  Thank you for all you've given us over the past 3 1/2 years and all.  That said, we care about you and want you to feel better.  So don't feel guilty!

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I hope you come back feeling recharged.  Please let us know if there's anything we can do.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:04 PM
I can't say I won't miss EP for the next few weeks, but it sounds like this is absolutely the right decision. Take a break, get yourself straight, and we'll still be here when you get back.

As others have said, if there's anything we can do...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:11:26 PM
I will, of course, miss my EP story fix.  That said, a break is a wonderful thing. Everyone needs vacation time. This is NOT failure, this is "getting it together".

Keep us updated on when EP will be returning, and otherwise take care oif you and yours.  Sanity is worth the time and effort, and your continued happiness with this project will keep it coming in ways that will make us (your audience, fans, listeners, and perhaps friends) happy too.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 02:49:40 PM
NPR shows (wait, wait don't tell me, Selected shorts, this American life,…) avg. approx. 26 eps/year
Broadcast Television (weekly shows)  avg. approx. 22 eps/year
EscapePod avg. approx. 52 eps/year (51 after hiatus)

I think you can hold your head high as you take your break, man. 

godzilla8nj

• Extern
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:47:32 PM
In response to Steve's offer to refund donor money to those upset with him taking a well-deserved breather I will be making an additional donation. Let's show our support that way. Steve, be well and be back when you can.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 05:04:09 PM
Take as long as you want. After all the happiness and fun you've brought to our lives, we can't begrudge you a week off to help yours.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:08:04 PM
In response to Steve's offer to refund donor money to those upset with him taking a well-deserved breather I will be making an additional donation. Let's show our support that way. Steve, be well and be back when you can.

That sounds like a good idea. It's way too long since I donated anyhow.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:02:34 PM
Do what you have to.  We'll be here when you come back.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

goatkeeper

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:19 AM
As someone else who does a fiction podcast magazine on a weekly basis, I empathize greatly with everything Steve said he's going through.  I'm AMAZED he's done it uninterrupted for so long. 
Reading/finding, buying and producing qualty stuff every few days, when you have a real job, a family, and other things to do- it's draining in all aspects. 

Just this Monday night I read a story that Samantha Henderson had sent in the day before.  I wrote her back within  two hours saying- "We'd love to buy this story, we're going to run it tomorrow night if that's ok, here's the contract."  Thankfully she was cool with it!

I was up at 2 am trying to get the episode up, thinking I was the only one going through this type of thing.  Steve's always doggin his time-management skills but he's doing it from the perspective of a major diety of podcasting who also juggles a family, a job and lord knows how many girlfriends, (lucky bastard.)
From the perspective of someone who only does weekly flash fiction stories, doesn't have a family, and can't even effectively manage one girlfriend- he's a freakin time-management savant.
And he totally deserves all the time he needs and all the support we can give.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 02:08:38 AM
Ironically, as I was finally catching up to Escape Pod (still behind on PC), I was thinking to myself - I can barely keep up with listening to the episodes, how can Steve keep _producing_ these things week in and week out? I know it's not a single person effort, but it is a singular achievement.

You, sir, have done an amazing job!

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 02:33:17 AM
Hear hear, me 2, what he/she said, ditto and all that.

You continue to prove that you are a man of character.  Do take all the time you need, and be very proud of what you have acheived!

We all look forward to the next "season" of Escape Pod.

shwankie

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:39:27 PM
Real Life happens, as the saying goes. Take your time, Steve, and we'll be here.

As a thought, maybe you could consider finding a guest host for the future, so you can take planned time off and also have some coverage for emergencies. This could lessen the stress when something comes up. Most regular features and shows have occasional guest hosts for these reasons (Diane Rehm and almost all the other NPR hosts, for example). It might allow you to take a week or two off a year planned as vacation while still keeping the business of EP flowing.

Just an idea. Toss it around when you get back, if you like. In the meantime, we're all wishing you well.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 02:30:16 PM
Real Life happens, as the saying goes. Take your time, Steve, and we'll be here.

As a thought, maybe you could consider finding a guest host for the future, so you can take planned time off and also have some coverage for emergencies. This could lessen the stress when something comes up. Most regular features and shows have occasional guest hosts for these reasons (Diane Rehm and almost all the other NPR hosts, for example). It might allow you to take a week or two off a year planned as vacation while still keeping the business of EP flowing.

But Steve isn't just the host -- he's also the editor and producer, ne?  Just having a guest host wouldn't be enough to keep the show going.

Zathras

Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 02:43:20 PM

But Steve isn't just the host -- he's also the editor and producer, ne?  Just having a guest host wouldn't be enough to keep the show going.

He could have a guest host do a "best of", that always works.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 02:57:33 PM
So… The End of the World As We Know It.

As if I wasn’t paranoid enough.

Steve goes on Hiatus and the financial markets tremble.

But really Steve, take whatever time you need. You’ve done a great job for us. Given us more than we deserve. Given us pleasure and intellectual stimulation. We all love you. I wish we could give you as much as you have given us.

For the truly paranoid:
100 Items to Disappear First in an Economic Collapse

Lessons from Argentina's economic collapse

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 03:47:41 PM

Zathras

Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 03:49:17 PM
For the truly paranoid:

So glad that #19 has never been a concern.  :)
Had to double check the list, I thought you might have gone for #24 there.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 03:56:35 PM
For the truly paranoid:

So glad that #19 has never been a concern.  :)
Had to double check the list, I thought you might have gone for #24 there.

#24 not a concern for myself, but I do have a wife.