Author Topic: The Retcon Death of Palimpsest  (Read 25261 times)

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 01:48:21 AM
But nobody likes it!  That's good.   ;D

When I was a kid, we called green bean casserole "Company Beans" because we very rarely had it--usually only when company was coming.  My sister and I thought they were incredibly fancy and delicious.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 02:38:48 AM
*Also--bag of frozen hash browns, 8 oz sour cream, a bunch of grated cheese, can of cream of chicken soup.  Doesn't need crunch, for some reason.
My in-laws make that and it is the best thing ever.  I always rave about it so much that I get to take the leftovers home in a cool whip container!  YES!

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 06:23:43 PM
*Also--bag of frozen hash browns, 8 oz sour cream, a bunch of grated cheese, can of cream of chicken soup.  Doesn't need crunch, for some reason.
My in-laws make that and it is the best thing ever.  I always rave about it so much that I get to take the leftovers home in a cool whip container!  YES!
I am so glad I'm not the only one who grew up using empty cool whip containers as tupperware!!! :D

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 06:34:39 PM
I guess I should respond since I started this tangent, but I'm from a very different food tradition and really only know about these things from a boss who married into a midwestern family (UP Michigan), so I don't really have any experience to evaluate and provide a response.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 03:24:17 AM
I am so glad I'm not the only one who grew up using empty cool whip containers as tupperware!!! :D

You mean all Tupperware isn't empty Cool Whip containers?  Who knew?

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 03:26:33 AM

I guess I should respond since I started this tangent, but I'm from a very different food tradition and really only know about these things from a boss who married into a midwestern family (UP Michigan), so I don't really have any experience to evaluate and provide a response.

Wow, this brings up three questions, all of which are even further off-topic... 

1.  What is your food tradition?

2.  What part of the UP was your boss's family from?  I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB south of Marquette for several years.

3.  Is the UP really part of the midwest?  I never think of it that way...

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 04:06:19 AM

Wow, this brings up three questions, all of which are even further off-topic... 

1.  What is your food tradition?

2.  What part of the UP was your boss's family from?  I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB south of Marquette for several years.

3.  Is the UP really part of the midwest?  I never think of it that way...

1. Italian mostly, with some small amounts of Lebanese, Polish, Mexican, British(ha) and Irish(potatoes). A lot of pasta, not a lot of things in casserole dishes.

2. Not sure, I think it's somewhere near the middle, but it's mostly him griping about unidentified frying objects from his in-laws. He's a bit of a snob/foodie.

3. Well, the food seems similar in terms of what's been described here versus what's been described by my boss, and I'm not sure where else it would belong, except Canada.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:08:12 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 05:24:13 AM

1. Italian mostly, with some small amounts of Lebanese, Polish, Mexican, British(ha) and Irish(potatoes). A lot of pasta, not a lot of things in casserole dishes.

Yup, not a lot of casserole material there, with the possible exception of the British.

2. Not sure, I think it's somewhere near the middle, but it's mostly him griping about unidentified frying objects from his in-laws. He's a bit of a snob/foodie.

Ah.  From my time there, I remember the unique contribution of the UP to American cuisine was the pasty, a sort of giant, dry dumpling stuffed with meat, rutabegas, potatoes, carrots, whatever.  Supposedly, it was imported from Cornwall, and miners would carry them into the copper mines and warm them over a shovel for lunch.  I like them a lot, but they're hard to find outside the UP and northern Wisconsin.

3. Well, the food seems similar in terms of what's been described here versus what's been described by my boss, and I'm not sure where else it would belong...

Like Christology, defining the midwest usually tells you more about the person doing the defining than it tells you about the thing being defined. 

I've always seen Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania as comprising a sort of intermediate zone -- which I usually think of as the "Old Northwest" for sheer lack of a better term.  (That would be northwest US, circa 1800 or so.)  Not really the tallgrass prairie states like Iowa, Illinois and Indiana, but not really part of the east coast, either. 

.. and I'm not sure where else it would belong, except Canada.

Well, but for Ben Franklin's determination to acquire the copper on Isle Royale for the young United States, there it would be...

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 07:04:06 PM

Yup, not a lot of casserole material there, with the possible exception of the British.

Thinking about it, most of the British influence comes in the form of bread puddings.

Ah.  From my time there, I remember the unique contribution of the UP to American cuisine was the pasty, a sort of giant, dry dumpling stuffed with meat, rutabegas, potatoes, carrots, whatever.  Supposedly, it was imported from Cornwall, and miners would carry them into the copper mines and warm them over a shovel for lunch.  I like them a lot, but they're hard to find outside the UP and northern Wisconsin.

I'm pretty sure Gaiman talks about those in American Gods.

3. Well, the food seems similar in terms of what's been described here versus what's been described by my boss, and I'm not sure where else it would belong...

Like Christology, defining the midwest usually tells you more about the person doing the defining than it tells you about the thing being defined. 

I've always seen Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania as comprising a sort of intermediate zone -- which I usually think of as the "Old Northwest" for sheer lack of a better term.  (That would be northwest US, circa 1800 or so.)  Not really the tallgrass prairie states like Iowa, Illinois and Indiana, but not really part of the east coast, either. 
.. and I'm not sure where else it would belong, except Canada.
Well, but for Ben Franklin's determination to acquire the copper on Isle Royale for the young United States, there it would be...

It's a fair cop, I've not really done a lot of traveling in the American interior, it just sort of blends in with Wisconsin up there in my mind's eye. Hopefully someday I'll get around to it, but it probably won't come that soon.

Russell Nash

Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 07:07:42 PM
Hmmm... When I went to bed last night, I noticed that the value was "14 days, 15 hours, and 55 minutes" or so.

This morning, eight hours later, it was "14 days, 15 hours, and 56 minutes".

So, unlike what I thought yesterday, it's not measuring how much time passed since an arbitrary timestamp, but it's actually a total of the amount of time I spent in the forums (since I joined? since the server reset?) In any case, it's scary.

I think I've tracked it down — it's the number of time between hits, timing out after a half-hour. For example, I've recently racked up a few days in a very short time, because I end up popping by every half-hour or so during my internet constitutionals to make sure that nothing... bad has been posted. So if I visit at 11:00, and at 11:29, I get 29 minutes added to my time, even though I've really only been on the site for about two minutes.

Still haven't caught up to Russell though. Should be close enough to gank him soon though.

That's pretty much how I got there.  If you catch me I think it's a serious sign that you need help.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 07:11:07 PM
I think I've tracked it down — it's the number of time between hits, timing out after a half-hour. For example, I've recently racked up a few days in a very short time, because I end up popping by every half-hour or so during my internet constitutionals to make sure that nothing... bad has been posted. So if I visit at 11:00, and at 11:29, I get 29 minutes added to my time, even though I've really only been on the site for about two minutes.

Still haven't caught up to Russell though. Should be close enough to gank him soon though.

That's pretty much how I got there.  If you catch me I think it's a serious sign that you need help.

Probably.

Zathras

Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 03:40:33 PM
I used to make casseroles a lot before my doctor got a hold of my cholesterol levels.  One tht my wife liked was a BBQ chicken casserole.

I still use butter bowls as Tupperware!

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 05:02:36 PM
Hmmm... When I went to bed last night, I noticed that the value was "14 days, 15 hours, and 55 minutes" or so.

So, unlike what I thought yesterday, it's not measuring how much time passed since an arbitrary timestamp, but it's actually a total of the amount of time I spent in the forums (since I joined? since the server reset?) In any case, it's scary.

I think I've tracked it down — it's the number of time between hits, timing out after a half-hour. For example, I've recently racked up a few days in a very short time, because I end up popping by every half-hour or so during my internet constitutionals to make sure that nothing... bad has been posted. So if I visit at 11:00, and at 11:29, I get 29 minutes added to my time, even though I've really only been on the site for about two minutes.

Since Zathras did the necromancy, I'll say that by your measure I need help, though I'm still a bit more than a day behind. I could probably slow down if I kill the forums from my opens-with-new-window set of tabs.

Russell Nash

Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 05:29:07 PM

I think I've tracked it down — it's the number of time between hits, timing out after a half-hour. For example, I've recently racked up a few days in a very short time, because I end up popping by every half-hour or so during my internet constitutionals to make sure that nothing... bad has been posted. So if I visit at 11:00, and at 11:29, I get 29 minutes added to my time, even though I've really only been on the site for about two minutes.

Since Zathras did the necromancy, I'll say that by your measure I need help, though I'm still a bit more than a day behind. I could probably slow down if I kill the forums from my opens-with-new-window set of tabs.

I do most of my monitoring with rss now.  It's really cut down on my time on the forums.  Both you and Eytanz have gotten very close.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 08:02:55 PM
I need to give RSS a try, I've been racking up a lot of time since the latest wave of spam hit.

Russell Nash

Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 08:34:30 PM
I need to give RSS a try, I've been racking up a lot of time since the latest wave of spam hit.

It's been our only wave.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 10:38:51 PM

It's been our only wave.

Wasn't there a cluster over the summer? I seem to remember 2-3 within a short time span, but I haven't been sleeping much lately.

Russell Nash

Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 10:36:43 PM

I do most of my monitoring with rss now.  It's really cut down on my time on the forums.  Both you and Eytanz have gotten very close.

Eytanz just recently blew my doors off and is well in the lead.

eytanz

Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 04:27:20 PM

Eytanz just recently blew my doors off and is well in the lead.

That's because I don't use RSS... There's something relaxing about manually switching from one website to another, even if it is less time-efficient.