Author Topic: SF/F Podcast Recommendations?  (Read 63794 times)

Clutron

• Palmer
on: November 22, 2008, 08:19:52 PM
I currently subscribe to Escape Pod, Drabble Cast, ClonePod and Podcastle.  Does anyone have any recommendations for awesome SFF podcasts?  I just finished "Playing for Keeps" and LOVED it. 

I have downloaded Heaven (seasons 1-4), Brave Men Run, 7th Son Book 1 Descent and The Secret World Chronicle, but haven't started those yet.  Any other suggestions?  I have a 15 hour drive (one way) to visit family over the holidays and am looking for more recommendations.  Also, does anyone know if the Mighty Murr will be releasing anything else in the PFK universe?

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 03:50:46 AM

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:28:23 AM
iTunes has most of Sigler's back catalogue, including almost all of Infected. I've also been enjoying the World War Z podcast, although that's more horror than SFF.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:40:36 PM
well it certainly seems judging by the end of PFK that at least one sequel is intended, so I imagine so.

some of my favorite podcast fiction, which can be found on podiobooks.com, includes everything by Nathan Lowell (the golden clipper series starts with 'quarter share,' a good place to start), The Prophet of Panamindorah series by Abigail Hilton, and How to Disappear Completely by Myke Bartlett (this is not to everyone's tastes, and its quite lengthy, but I thought it was just fabulous).  Also consider checking out decoder ring theatre, old style radio drama, quite fun.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:47:56 PM
I'll be the first to point out that How To Disappear Completely is the name of the mind-blowing fourth track on Radiohead's (best?) album, Kid A.

That will be all.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 05:23:03 PM
Also, does anyone know if the Mighty Murr will be releasing anything else in the PFK universe?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mur's planning on doing more in that universe in the future, although I'm not sure how much has been written yet.  But I know she is planning a sequel.  If you dig PFK, though, you could check out the Stories of the Third Wave which has PFK stories by people like Scott Sigler, Matt Wallace, JC Hutchins, and other folks.

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 12:23:21 AM
Well, I'm back from my 15 hour each way trip to North Dakota...and this is my update:

A)  I still love Drabblecase, oh man, that Norm is a funny (and weird) dude...and I think his dad has a mancrush on me...but whatever
B)  I listened to the entire Brave Men Run, and about 1/2 of Secret World Chronicles and really liked them both.  PFK is still my FAVORITE Super Hero Podcast so far, but I have really enjoyed all three.
C)  The following are on my most hated list: 
             1)  Voices of Tomorrow 365 stories...I actually really liked the stories, but they were too short for me to listen too...it was tough to try to figure out a new story theme every 5 minutes.  And with a backlog of 80-100 of these, it required way too much concentration at 3:00 am while driving through Sioux Falls.
             2)  The Great Beyond Podcast.  The audio quality was kinda bad, and I couldn't understand the dude very well...I had to crank my speakers to understand him...I did keep a couple of these just in case his recording quality gets better.
D)  I haven't tried Well Told Tales yet, but am excited to work through their backlog. 

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 06:12:04 AM
Well, I'm back from my 15 hour each way trip to North Dakota...and this is my update:

A)  I still love Drabblecase, oh man, that Norm is a funny (and weird) dude...and I think his dad has a mancrush on me...but whatever
B)  I listened to the entire Brave Men Run, and about 1/2 of Secret World Chronicles and really liked them both.  PFK is still my FAVORITE Super Hero Podcast so far, but I have really enjoyed all three.

You must have listened to the Super Animal Deathmatch Podcast :-)  Not my type of thing, but Drabblecast is awesome.  I thought Brave Men RUn was OK, but was hyped so much I was a little disappointed.  Have you heard DKT's podcast novel advertised round these parts?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 04:18:21 PM
aw i loved Brave Men Run

lets see... others...
Heaven novels by Mur Lafferty (ooh wait you have those)
The Seanachai - this is not necessarily SF, and episodes are few and far between these days (tho he says hes turning a new leaf) but he has some great essays and mini stories.  you might really like his offshoot of it, How to Succeed in Evil.  Its a superhero kind of thing, not yet finished, wont be for a while either :P

Red vs. Blue - youtube/google videos/roosterteeth.com
great stuff

7th Son

Ancestor - Scott Sigler

Voices: New Media Fiction - another Mur thing, tis an anthology, great stories here, can find it on podiobooks

The Pocket and the Pendant - almost Young Adult, which i usually dont like, but it's done well and i found it very entertaining.

and of course DKT's The Incredible Origin of Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 06:55:54 AM
oh and its not SF but it IS science... Radiolab
best show ever.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 07:37:06 AM
oh and its not SF but it IS science... Radiolab
best show ever.

Love radiolab

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:33:10 AM
Ditto for Nathan Lowell's "Share" series.

I'm on episode three of How to Succeed in Evil - Vol I.
How to Succeed in Evil is the story of Edwin Windsor, evil efficiency consultant. (Kind of like Arthur Anderson for Lex Luthor.) As far as possible, he practices an honest trade, but his clients are so egomaniacal that they don't listen to his advice.

Frustrated, Edwin decides to go into the evil business for himself. Alternately dark and funny, this is a satire on corporate culture as well as the traditional comic book villain.

Tee Morris' Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword was enjoyable enough, but I got really annoyed at the high percentage of personal (and dated) blog-type content, listener feedback, and other non-story items. Don't just automatically download every episode, which continue after the story itself is concluded. He really should have re-packaged it for Podiobooks.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 03:45:31 AM
I'm finding Variant Frequencies to be the most consistently good story podcast.  clonepod and the three EA podcasts are uneven ... some really great stuff, and some absolute crap.  I can't think of any on VF that I've actively hated.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 04:52:33 PM
I'm finding Variant Frequencies to be the most consistently good story podcast.  clonepod and the three EA podcasts are uneven ... some really great stuff, and some absolute crap.  I can't think of any on VF that I've actively hated.

I totally disagree.  I stopped listening to Variant Frequencies awhile ago because the only thing consistent was that they were all pretty much the same types of dark horror/suspense stories.  Some were good, some were bad, but the frequency never varied and I got bored.  Maybe it's changed, I dunno.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 05:36:46 PM
Ditto for Nathan Lowell's "Share" series.

Tee Morris' Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword was enjoyable enough, but I got really annoyed at the high percentage of personal (and dated) blog-type content, listener feedback, and other non-story items. Don't just automatically download every episode, which continue after the story itself is concluded. He really should have re-packaged it for Podiobooks.

Yeah, I'm rabidly anticipating the next Lowell podcast novel. :)

As for Billibub Baddings, I hate to say it, but I could barely finish listening to the first chapter and abandoned it forthwith. I just couldn't stand it at all. I feel a little guilty naysaying an author fairly well established in the podcasting community, but for whatever reason, I just found it unlistenable.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 05:56:22 PM
thanks for the reccomendations, will be checking all of these out :D it's much appreciated

clonepod

• Extern
    • clonepod
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 09:39:24 PM
Cultron mentioned that he listens to our podcast, but I thought suggesting our podcast might still be a good idea.  We are a podcast that puts out mainstream PG 13 (although we really push the envelop on the PG13 thing) SFandF.  More SF than F.  My children introduce the stories, but it is by no means a podcast for children.  The beauty of having young people introduce the stories is that it is all new to them.  You get to hear the wonder in their voices as they discover authors we all know and love, but are new to them.  We have run stoires by  Robert Reed, Neil Gaiman, Walter Jon Williams and Mike Resnick - we also run stories by aspiring authors - so if you are looking for a venue for your story, consider submitting to our podcast.

Listen to sff stories at my podcast, clonepod.org

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 10:10:34 PM
Cultron mentioned that he listens to our podcast, but I thought suggesting our podcast might still be a good idea.  We are a podcast that puts out mainstream PG 13 (although we really push the envelop on the PG13 thing) SFandF.  More SF than F.  My children introduce the stories, but it is by no means a podcast for children.  The beauty of having young people introduce the stories is that it is all new to them.  You get to hear the wonder in their voices as they discover authors we all know and love, but are new to them.  We have run stoires by  Robert Reed, Neil Gaiman, Walter Jon Williams and Mike Resnick - we also run stories by aspiring authors - so if you are looking for a venue for your story, consider submitting to our podcast.

This bit of spam was brought to you by…

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 11:57:17 PM

My opinion of your children as podcast hosts is already on record.  But I like the stories you run.

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 07:14:28 PM
Well, I'm taking another trip to N.D. to visit the inlaws this week and am getting my 3 A.M. playlist ready.  This is what I have so far.

I have already downloaded and ready to go in the IPOD:
1)  Ancestor by the "Sigmeister"
2)  Morevi by Tee Morris
3)  Billibub baddings by Tee Morris  (Thanks Planish)
4)  The rest of Sigler's stuff (Earthcore, Nocturnal, The Rookie, Infected and Contagious)

I plan to download
1)  The Pocket and the Pendant
2)  How to Succeed in Evil. - But I'm waiting until the author is done.   (Bdoomed)
3)  'quarter share' By Nathan Lowell  (thank you Talia)

Since the last trip I made, I have finished the following:
Nina Kimberly the Merciless                - Pretty good.  That Christiana Ellis is a pretty funny lady(tron).
Space Casey                                   - I liked this one, but thought it was too short.
Voices:  New Media Fiction                 - on Bdoomed's recommendation and it was a great short story SF/F anthology
All 3 7th Son Books                           - Book 1 was pretty slow, but they really picked up, and by book 3, it had me driving around the block to finish chapters.
The Lafferty Heaven books                - Is there a conclusion in the works here?  Anyone know?

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:21 PM
The Lafferty Heaven books                - Is there a conclusion in the works here?  Anyone know?

On ISBW she said she had just finished her project "Underground."  After the rewrites she will begin the conclusion to the Heaven series--War.

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 05:17:03 AM
2)  How to Succeed in Evil. - But I'm waiting until the author is done.   (Bdoomed)
its gonna be a loooooooooooooong wait :P

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 12:10:35 AM

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 08:50:22 PM
So I have finished Earthcore and Ancestor by Scott Sigler...Anyone notice any similarities?  They seem to both use pretty much the same formula...

1)  Nasty Monsters
2)  Extremely tough environmental conditions in remote locations
3)  The crazy super tough person who wants to kill the heroes
4)  Companies betting the farm for huge profits
5)  mad genius scientists
6)  The tough soldier dude (who falls in love with the tough soldier lady)
7)  The grizzled old guy who knows the land "like the back of his hand".

These are the only two Sigler books I have listened to, and don't get me wrong, they were both pretty good, but they were pretty much the same book...one set under a mountain and the other on an island.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 09:03:40 PM
So I have finished Earthcore and Ancestor by Scott Sigler...Anyone notice any similarities?  They seem to both use pretty much the same formula...

1)  Nasty Monsters
2)  Extremely tough environmental conditions in remote locations
3)  The crazy super tough person who wants to kill the heroes
4)  Companies betting the farm for huge profits
5)  mad genius scientists
6)  The tough soldier dude (who falls in love with the tough soldier lady)
7)  The grizzled old guy who knows the land "like the back of his hand".

These are the only two Sigler books I have listened to, and don't get me wrong, they were both pretty good, but they were pretty much the same book...one set under a mountain and the other on an island.

I've only listened to Ancestor and it seemed more than a little similar to Jurassic Park.  The motive for recreating extinct life forms was different, but otherwise ....