Author Topic: EP Flash Fiction Contest Winner: Mission to Dover  (Read 17971 times)

Russell Nash

on: November 27, 2008, 07:27:46 AM
EP Flash Fiction Contest Winner: Mission to Dover

By Gideon Fostick.
Read by Lyle Merithew.

Escape Pod sends its congratulations to Gideon Fostick for winning first place in the Escape Pod flash fiction contest for stories under 300 words.

Professor Seiferd materialized in full command of his faculties. He oriented immediately on the white cliffs of Dover, towering over the English Channel. He felt the weight of his mission: he must answer the question that was vital to the Fatherland.

Rated G. Contains Nazis.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

—————

Original Contest thread on Mission to Dover
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:28:45 PM by Heradel »

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:23:13 AM
nice :)

any one else read "nostrodarmus ate my hampster" ?

its anuther fine take on time travling natzis

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:12:12 PM
^
No, but I might.

I liked the story as well. Certainly explained how the Germans seemed so darn sure, and I liked the "twist" as it could be called. On the whole, a nice light snack!

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:08:58 AM
man, it was cool to hear the flash intro music again.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:50:04 AM
good story very interesting concept

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Zathras

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 07:20:42 PM
Nice

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:28:50 PM
First off, thanks to Rachel & Co. for doing this!!  (I'd thank the sound person by name, but I can't find it.)

Cool story!! "Time travel with a twist of irony, please..."

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:14:34 PM
The reading was too flat, but it was a good story.

And Raving_Lunatic: The Germans were so sure it was going to be Calais because of a massive misinformation campaign that involved things like building a fake fleet at Dover. Plus, of course, it would have been far easier to cross the Channel at Calais...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 04:41:55 PM
I know all about the disinformation campaign, but even after having read the details I was surprised that although Rommel (in charge of the Western Front) reported his concerns and yet was ignored. This would explain why Hitler didn't listen to his subordinates.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:03 AM
like the story, not so much a fan of the reading, coulda been better :(

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:36:22 AM
This story... I'm afraid you can add me, too, as not being a big fan of the reading.  It wasn't BAD, it just didn't really grab my attention enough.

I didn't get the story at first - the reason for "Calais", but now that I understand the D-Day misdirection from the wartime era, the whole story becomes significantly more amusing.  I didn't read the contest entries - that all happened a bit before I started coming to the forums - so I'm really glad that this made it to the podcast, either way.

I think I'll share this story with my father once I'm home, though; I'm betting he'll get a kick out of it.

Formerly Ignoranus - now too big for my britches, literally and figuratively.

eytanz

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 08:34:40 AM
*Puts my nitpicking hat on*

This story makes no sense at all. Were the Nazis expecting to lose the war? Why not send their time traveller ten years to the future of Berlin? Assuming they win (which they would assume), the time traveller would probably be greeted by his future self with a dossier including all the information needed to win the war. If they lose, well, it would probably be at least as easy to find someone who can explain why, as it would by travelling to what to him is an enemy country. The only way his plan makes sense is if he is already assuming that future England is still free, and presumes that older German gentlemen would not be out of place in Dover, while at the same time underestimating the lingering hostility.

*nitpicking hat off*

Ok, ok, so it's a fun little historical twist, even if the basic premise is ludicrous. And it brings to mind one of the quotes cited in this week's Podcastle outro - the person from the board who brings up that in times of war, racism is a defense strategy. I guess the moral is - we should never give up our old resentments, as yesterday's enemy may be today's time-traveller.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:14:00 AM by eytanz »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 02:36:10 PM
we should never give up our old resentments, as yesterday's enemy may be today's time-traveller.
oh that's a great moral.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

tazo

• Extern
    • Musings with a Flashlight under the covers
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 03:00:32 PM
Oh very good indeed.  Nothing like Pulp 1940's time travel with a hilarious twist to make the day better. 

I suppose the time travel stuff is built on a slightly shaky premise, but honestly time travel is one of those devices that I tend to label "try not to think about it too much", if only because it, conceptually, is so full of paradox and so screws with a perception of causality that I imagine it'd be really tricky to tell a story without breaking some of the rules.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 04:28:53 PM
Maybe he went to Dover because he thought it would be conquered by the Germans in the future?  Maybe? 

Okay, maybe not.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 05:29:56 PM
I know all about the disinformation campaign, but even after having read the details I was surprised that although Rommel (in charge of the Western Front) reported his concerns and yet was ignored. This would explain why Hitler didn't listen to his subordinates.
You mean the way he listened to them when they said that invading Moscow in winter was a bad idea; or that Stalingrad would turn into a meat grinder, costing far more lives than it was worth; or that there might just be something to the "Jew science" of radioactivity?

Yeah, it's a conundrum, all right.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 01:29:59 AM
Thanks for putting your nitpicking hat on, eytanz, so I didn't have to. I think I'm the only one who followed the contest that didn't love this one. Not a bad little story with a neat twist at the end - just not one of my favorites.

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 11:57:33 AM
I just never got into this one.  Not in the contest and not here.

RKG

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 01:59:28 PM
I didn't read the contest entries - that all happened a bit before I started coming to the forums - so I'm really glad that this made it to the podcast, either way.

BTW, you still can if you want to: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?board=28.0

rkg  101010

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 02:19:26 PM
I didn't read the contest entries - that all happened a bit before I started coming to the forums - so I'm really glad that this made it to the podcast, either way.

BTW, you still can if you want to: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?board=28.0

Which was in the original post. I'm so glad to see that everyone reads my posts.

Zathras

Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 02:23:23 PM
Which was in the original post. I'm so glad to see that everyone reads my posts.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw your link, N-sh.  When there is an Episode Comment thread, I always look to see what the links are before I post.

RKG

• Palmer
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 07:15:26 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I saw your link, N-sh.  When there is an Episode Comment thread, I always look to see what the links are before I post.

OK. OK. Mea Culpa.  Mea Culpa. 

Geez.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:18:23 PM by RKG »

rkg  101010

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 08:43:07 PM
If being a great hook for a longer story was the qualification for winning the contest, I understand why this one won!

Okay reading, great premise.

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

vanya

Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 03:58:15 PM
How on earth did this silly story win?  I’m sorry to be insulting, but it was just dumb. Cliched, ahistorical and actually insulting in a way to the Allied men and women who did the real hard work of deceiving the Germans about the invasion of France in WWII. Professor Seiferd is over the top with the sneering and the British despising and even the anti-Semitism - yeah, Nazi's are bad, we get it.  And of course in reality from the German point of view D-Day was a side show, the Eastern Front was what decided the war. If the Germans had found a way to time travel they would have used it against the Russians so the whole premise is just typical anglo-centric backslapping. (Or even - why not just materialize near a book store if you have 14 minutes?) This is the kind of story I expect from a 15 year old.  I'm shocked to be honest that this story even made it to honorable mention stage.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 04:04:17 PM
The three winning stories were decided by popular vote on the forums. If you're interested in what some of the voters thought, you can check out the thread on this piece, which I believe Russell Nash was kind enough to link to in his initial post.