Author Topic: Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest, Honorable Mention: Hoarding Colored Rags  (Read 5585 times)

Russell Nash

Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest, Honorable Mention: Hoarding Colored Rags

By Jared Axelrod (of The Voice of Free Planet X).
Read by Mike Swirsky.

I remember your touch, your taste, the way your mouth curled slightly when you said my name.

Rated PG.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

—————

Original Contest thread for Hoarding Colored Rags

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
I have not been liking these one-minute short-shorts, at all, until this one.  This one works.  I think it's because it has a "punchline" of sorts.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
This was hands-down one of my favorite stories from the Flash Fiction contest.  Definitely one of my top 5.  It's great to finally hear it.

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Sounded more like one of those Hallmark Cards that didn't make the cut than a story.

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

Zathras

I liked this one.

Thank you, Rachel and crew for bringing us these.  I think we might've reached critical mass on flash.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Sounded more like one of those Hallmark Cards

I'd hate to get that card. "Things with us used to be nice. Now go away."

From Hallmark's new "Things You Wish You Could Say In Person, But Wouldn't Dare Because It's Just Too Rude" line?

eytanz

The problem with this story is that the thing that made it interesting came all the way in the end. That's more acceptable in a flash story - being uninterested for 2 minutes before payoff is not as bad as being uninterested for 30 minutes before payoff. But still, the ending, while good, is not quite enough to justify it in my opinion.

This is really a flaw of the medium - in print, this story reads a lot better as reading for oneself is a lot faster than being read out loud to, getting to the clever twist earlier.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
YAY!  I once coveted the Voice of free planet X poidcast.  AS his stories grew fewer and fewer between, I let it go.  It's nice to hear mr. Axelrods voice again. His fiction is strange and wonderous.  Good to see and hear it here!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
This one kicked ass.   ;D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Sounded more like one of those Hallmark Cards

I'd hate to get that card. "Things with us used to be nice. Now go away."

From Hallmark's new "Things You Wish You Could Say In Person, But Wouldn't Dare Because It's Just Too Rude" line?

Ha!  I like it!

Not a bad story, though as eytanz said it did rely heavily on the punchline.