Author Topic: For Zathras  (Read 2449 times)

Russell Nash

on: December 04, 2008, 02:58:46 PM
or anybody else who has an opinion about truck drivers.

part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4

If you have the capability, you can get episode 1 of season 12 of BBC's Top Gear.

Zathras

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:43:32 PM
Will check that out.  I found my first bad weather of the season and had to chain up 3 axles last night on I-70 between Vail and Denver.  I was almost done when a state trooper pulled up to tell the other drivers and me that the sign was broken and we didn't need chains.  A few trucks spun out near the top of the mountain, but so far I haven't seen anyone in a ditch.  I hope the roads stay clear to Milwaukee.

ttfn

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:11:53 PM
do you drive just anything or is there something specific you transport?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Zathras

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:11:54 PM
I am leased on to an LTL company, Roadrunner Transportation Services.

In LTL (less than a load) trucking, the transportation provider will accept freight from several different sources, bring it to a central location, organise it according to destination, ship it to another central location and then deliver the freight.

My part in that chain is taking the freight from terminal to terminal.  We haul everything that can be put in a 53' dry van trailer except for alcohol, radioactive materials and explosives.

At times, I will make a direct delivery to a customer.  Also, we have partnerships with several regional freight haulers who will receive and deliver freight.  For instance, in Albuquerque we work with 2 companies, RAC and West Texas Express.

I can also find my own freight, following certain guidelines.

In my career, I have pulled dry vans, reefers, flat beds and containers. 

Ok, that should cover most of the basics, I'll gladly answer any questions.

Oh, and for the record...

Those maniacs on Ice Road Truckers aren't paid much more than I am, after truck expenses. 

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:03 PM
I am leased on to an LTL company, Roadrunner Transportation Services.

Hey, I know Roadrunner (or at least another company called Roadrunner).  I work in freight forwarding, so I use quite a lot of LTL service.  Do you guys have a presence in the southeast?  I'm using Old Dominion for most of the LTL work, but we're not real happy with them right now.

Zathras

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:31:35 PM
Hey, I know Roadrunner (or at least another company called Roadrunner).  I work in freight forwarding, so I use quite a lot of LTL service.  Do you guys have a presence in the southeast?  I'm using Old Dominion for most of the LTL work, but we're not real happy with them right now.

We were Roadrunner Dawes, they changed the name in July.  We have terminals in Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and partnerships with regional carriers in Florida for delivery.  www.rrts.com
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:20:34 PM by Bdoomed »