Author Topic: Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest, Honorable Mention: Hello, I Love You  (Read 5101 times)

Russell Nash

Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest, Honorable Mention: Hello, I Love You

By Katherine Sparrow.
Read by Rachel Swirsky.

"Junk DNA? I’ll junk your DNA!” Sofia glared at Zorg.

“Apologies. It is only, don’t you find it interesting? Most of it is unused–”

“Junk? You supercilious aliens come to Earth to rein snottiness on us lowly humans? How sublime. I suppose your DNA is full of Porsches?”

Rated PG.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

—————

Original Contest thread for The Way Before

RicV

• Extern
    • Ric's wramblings
meh. 

Seemed to lack something critical for the leap from beginning to end. 

Dont get me wrong it had me interested, but just left me unsasfied.  Like fast food.

Ric

-to find what you seek is to uncover more questions.

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Heh, she said probe.

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

eytanz

Ack. Bad, bad science + cheesy ending do not for a good story make.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
this wasn't horrible, but it was definatly missing something.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
I know it's flash, but the ending wasn't complete.  Maybe I'm dense but, in my opinion it didn't answer the question of why the aliens were there.  Even though the story said it did.  On a positive note it did have potential as a longer story, I was interested up until the endidng. 

eytanz

I know it's flash, but the ending wasn't complete.  Maybe I'm dense but, in my opinion it didn't answer the question of why the aliens were there. 

The aliens were there to activate human's unused DNA (ouch, it pains me just to type that), which will make humans share in the universal love. I thought that was pretty clear.

Whether this is a good or bad thing, whether this is a matter of uplifting the human race or a subtle form of conquest is up to the listener, but that's a matter of being open to interpretation, not a matter of incompleteness, at least in my impression.

Not that that salvages the basic premise of the story, though.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Not bad, but I think I would've liked it more if it were expanded a bit.  It did seem a bit incomplete.