Author Topic: Unknown Author..please help.  (Read 7607 times)

Franckenstein

• Extern
on: February 01, 2007, 05:06:20 PM
I read a Sci-fi book when I was very young that left a huge impression on me. It was about a race of plant people...A plant guy has his arm bitten off by a bird so he travels to the sunnier warmer climate and plants himself to regrow his limb. Then he discovers a group of plants ruling a lesser savage group...then he starts an uprising and revolt etc etc. Strange pollenation sex was going on here and there. Does this sound familiar to anyone. I was hoping that there may be someone who has read this and knows who the author is?

thanks

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:56:56 PM
Anyone else go a little WTF at the storyline?

Sorry, haven't read it, can you remember what the title was like?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Franckenstein

• Extern
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 08:50:38 PM
I know this is vague and I do not remember the Author or Title. I was about 12 and got the book in the library on the Sci-Fi rack…I am 30 now and my memory is fuzzy on the whole story so I will break it down as I remember the bits and pieces.

Starts out with a race of plant humanoids living in a secluded community.

Our Hero “Plant Man” I will call him is collecting eggs or rock climbing and gets his arm bitten off by a bird creature.

Stumpy arm heals…and an elder plant guy tells him to go to the homeland jungles to plant himself in the ground and regrow his arm because the soil and light is better than where they live now.

He goes across some deserts etc and finds the jungle lands and grows his arm back.

Then he learns that there are two split groups of plant people…the rulers and the slaves kind of like Roman times…

So Plant man meets the female princess and then he has sex with her…the strange pollination part where they have flower buds that open and bloom between their legs..the princess also likes to eat the bud of the person she has sex with..

Then Plant man leads a revolt etc, star wars style.

There you go from my days as a 12 year old.

Thanks

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 07:47:12 AM
lol
thats mental
know idear what it is but let me know if you find out

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 03:25:46 PM
Anyone else go a little WTF at the storyline?

Right there with you.

Manxom Vroom

• Extern
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 03:42:58 PM
This is a wild stab in the dark: "Day of the Triffids," maybe? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 05:19:59 PM
This is a wild stab in the dark: "Day of the Triffids," maybe? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids

No way Wyndam's DotT anywhere near like what the plotline in the original post described. It's like Night of the Living Dead with walking plants instead of zombies mostly, with a little "The Day After" thrown in for good measure.

The Chrysalids is a better read though, if you are going to read Wyndam.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 06:25:09 PM
Ta by John Robert Russell?

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.