Author Topic: The Day The Earth Stood Still  (Read 7130 times)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
on: December 18, 2008, 08:48:34 PM
So, I liked it.

(Ducks)

I love the original and I think, once the dust and rabid Reeveshate has died back this version will be viewed a little more fairly.  There's some great performances in there and the first 45 minutes in particular is supremely great.

Also?

A female lead.

A smart, competent female lead who's likable.

Also also?

Scott Derrickson does some really smart stuff with the sound, especially in the initial contact seen.

So yeah, it's better than you think.  Go check it out.

Zathras

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:05:49 PM
Thanks, I was going to pass on this one.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:36:38 AM
I love Jennifer Connelly, but I came by my Reeveshate honestly.  I've watched too many films where his surf boy whoa just destroyed it for me.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:50:57 PM
Hate hate hated it. Just awful and cliched and boring... The worst film I've seen this year. And I've seen many bad films.

excalibur23

• Extern
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 05:47:55 AM
I did not like this movie.
This was a movie that someone took the robot, and military making bad calls and gutted the rest of the old story.
Then there was the whole idea that the alien can and will commit genocide because of some thinly veiled military objective.
Here how the movie put it.
The earth is one of a few planets that can support "complex life" and the humans are destroying it and them selves, so we (the alien federation represented by Klaatu) can kill every last man, woman, and child because we will do better. The cover story we will give the humans is this. You are not taking care of your ecology so we are going to kill you. I think the Vogons had a better logic and morals.

although this movie was not a total wast of my time, I did get to see the trailers for Wolverine, and Star Trek.  ;)

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:39:13 AM
I saw it last week.  I don't think I ever saw the 1950's version, but this new on sucked big time.  The character development was so weak and the relationships were unconvincing.  It was totally predictable, but not in any way that made sense.  The only good part was Keanau Reeves being typecast as an emotionless alien.  Even the special effects were lame.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:19:47 PM
The only good part was Keanau Reeves being typecast as an emotionless alien. 
Perfect.  Sounds like it's up there with his roles as stoner morons in River's Edge and the Bill & Ted films.  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:37:20 AM
yet to see this one, sounds like the plot is a bit david brin galactick civilisashon ish

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:24:06 AM
Didn't like it.  I'm sick of the "man is bad, man is ruining the planet" never-ending lecture.  Enough already.  The special effects were cool.   I didn't think the original was all that great either. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 12:32:13 AM
The only good things about the movie was Jennifer Connelly, John Cleese, and the music. The rest was shit, boderline on mediocre.

One question: Is it just me, or is Jaden Smith in this the most annoying child in the history of cinema? No child role has ever made an argument for coporal punishment then that little annoying brat.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 01:26:41 AM
One question: Is it just me, or is Jaden Smith in this the most annoying child in the history of cinema? No child role has ever made an argument for coporal punishment then that little annoying brat.

Haven't seen the film yet.  He's worse than the kid who played John Connor in Terminator 2: Judgment Day?

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 01:55:15 AM

Haven't seen the film yet.  He's worse than the kid who played John Connor in Terminator 2: Judgment Day?

Didn't think John was too bad, but yeah--far worse.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 10:00:06 AM
The only good things about the movie was Jennifer Connelly, John Cleese, and the music. The rest was shit, boderline on mediocre.

Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:40:32 PM

Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace.

FTW!  ;D

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 06:20:17 AM

You freaking nailed it.  I was wondering who the parent was in that relationship.  Take the little brat's IPod away and make him sit in the corner and shut the hell up if he can't behave.  That drove me nuts.   I loved looking at Jennifer, too, but she's getting a bit too thin, in my opinion.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan