Author Topic: PC034: Clad In Gossamer  (Read 22138 times)

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 02:28:12 PM
Rachel- I really liked it too. There exists, somewhere, a whole grouping of this sort of re-telling story collections. I've forgotten the titles now, because I give books away to my friends, least the start taking up too much room in my already too crowded house.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 06:29:18 PM
You might mean the series of books edited by Datlow/Windling that starts with "Snow White, Blood Red?" Those are _phenomenal._

There are two stories that appear in that series of anthologies that are on my short list of things I probably want to solicit (one of them is by Tanith Lee). Clad in Gossamer is from one of those anthologies as well.

LadyIndigo

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 06:37:50 PM
The Datlow/Windling anthologies are amazing, and didn't Clad in Gossamer come from one of those originally?  There's a lot of anthologies of retellings - Don't Bet On The Prince is an excellent feminist one, and Francesca Lia Block has a collection of stories just by her called The Rose and the Beast.  I saw a whole collection just discussing the problems in Rumplestiltskin, too, I think Jane Yolen was involved?  It's been a while.

Speaking of Rumplestiltskin, my girlfriend also has a novella published that retells the tale here: http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Millers-Daughter-JoSelle-Vanderhooft/dp/1411690931  It's a gorgeous piece with a real turn of poetry to it, so I'd love to see her earn a reader or twenty.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 10:20:30 PM
You might mean the series of books edited by Datlow/Windling that starts with "Snow White, Blood Red?" Those are _phenomenal._

Now I think of it, Tanith Lee has a followup to Red as Blood -- I've seen it on store shelves -- entitled White as Snow.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 08:03:33 PM
Late to this, and others have made most of the relevant comments, but I wanted to say that I absolutely loved this story.  Add me to the list of those saying, "More, please..."

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 08:24:12 PM

There are two stories that appear in that series of anthologies that are on my short list of things I probably want to solicit (one of them is by Tanith Lee). Clad in Gossamer is from one of those anthologies as well.

YES! Those would be the ones.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 03:27:34 PM
Well constructed, cleverly executed and wonderful reading. What more could we ask for from CP? Thanks.

Agent_137

• Extern
Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 05:35:33 PM
excellent story all around, but i wanted jasper to win.  :-\

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 05:53:41 PM
I'm clearly in the minority here.  I listened for a while, but didn't get to the point of anything that really diverged or expanded upon the original Emperor's New Clothes story.  I love reimaginings of old stories, but to the point that I listened this seemed more of a straight re-telling than a reimagining. 

But it sounds like no one else thought that, so I may give it a re-listen to see where the divergence occurs.  The writing and the reading both seemed very good, for what it's worth.