Author Topic: PC039: Honest Man  (Read 15793 times)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 01:51:08 AM
It's been a long time since this story aired, but I didn't want to let the opportunity to praise it slip by.  I really liked this story quite a lot.  It may have been, as others say, on the predictable side, but it had me smiling all the way through.  It delivered on what it promised and I really loved loved loved all the grounding details.

It reminds me of "Hotel Astarte" in that it was quite long and didn't get cranked up right off the bat and was deeply American.  I like this type of story and I'm glad Podcastle has run both this and "Hotel Astarte" which is still one of my very favorite PCs.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Djibril

• Extern
    • The Future Fire
Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 07:48:46 PM
I'm only just catching up with some older PCs, but I wanted to say that I did enjoy this charming piece. The opening threw me off a little, because of the American Gods parallel that others have mentioned, and I was surprised by the episodic structure. By the end I liked it, which is what matters, I guess.

http://futurefire.net/
Social, Political & Speculative Cyber-fiction

*Now reading for Feminist Science Fiction themed issue*

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 10:19:37 PM
Naomi --

Thanks so much for giving the story behind this one.  I loved hearing the story, but it was made even better by your revelation of the story's genesis.
Hmm

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 07:38:05 PM
A lovely story, made even better by the author's explanation about the origins.  Very cool, and I quite liked Iris, so what a nice tribute to your grandma.  :)

It was clear in the first scene that that was going to be a con, though I might've been more aware of it because of the cons performed in Zombieland (great movie, btw). 

The pace was a little slow for my usual tastes, but it fit the story, so I'm not really complaining.  The only thing that didn't really resonate with me was the fact that Iris didn't really get conned in the end.  He tells her time and time again that he only cons the dishonest (which is a cool premise) but then when she becomes dishonest he never really cons her, she comes out even in the whole ordeal.  So he didn't really live up to his promise, even though I would've been sad if he'd ripped her off.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 05:39:24 AM
I don't think it's inconsistent for Coyote to leave Iris unpunished. He conned the dishonest (Mr. Lucky). When Iris developed guilt and decided to track down the other victims to redistribute the ill-gotten gains, she re-established her honesty and removed herself from punishment.

The input from the author in this thread is nice. I might have wound up sharing this story with my mom, but I'll do it for certain after reading that.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”