Author Topic: ZARGA III: "Good Al Hunting"  (Read 75745 times)

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 11:16:47 AM
 ???

I think that scene in hot fuzz where they jump the fences is a parody/skit on the original scene in Shaun of The Dead.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 09:03:18 AM
and noooo I'm not a freakin' Trivia nut - not at alll

You know we got unionised last year?  Dental and everything?  Just saying:)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 09:05:02 AM
Oh, also two things that may be of help to you:

-I appear to have used lines from Cloverfield about three times.  They're slightly obscure ones so I'm okay throwing that out there.

-'There was a little girl, but she died YEARS ago...' is not remotely horror.  It's a line from one of the last Friends episodes where Chandler and Monica go and buy a house, and Joey gets talking to the little girl who lives there.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 06:44:20 PM

-I appear to have used lines from Cloverfield about three times.  They're slightly obscure ones so I'm okay throwing that out there.

-'There was a little girl, but she died YEARS ago...' is not remotely horror.  It's a line from one of the last Friends episodes where Chandler and Monica go and buy a house, and Joey gets talking to the little girl who lives there.

1. I skipped Cloverfeild, the intro scenes made me dizzy and I just couldn't keep watching. So, Any trivia pertaining to it will be missed by me.

2. DARNIT!  Evil evil mad genius! I used to watch Friends too- but very few quotes stuck with me. (well aside from the bit with the wearing all the clothes.)

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Russell Nash

Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:38 PM

I picked that one off as friends, but it's also a trope.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 10:46:18 PM

1. I skipped Cloverfeild, the intro scenes made me dizzy and I just couldn't keep watching. So, Any trivia pertaining to it will be missed by me.

2. DARNIT!  Evil evil mad genius! I used to watch Friends too- but very few quotes stuck with me. (well aside from the bit with the wearing all the clothes.)

I...may sense a certain...kinship with Chandler...

Anyway!  The weird thing is the two kind of connect!  Cloverfield (Which is well worth a look by the way.  Try it, if you can, in daylight, dilutes the shaky a fair bit) is essentially a Friends episode called 'The One Where An Immense Monster Rampages Through Manhatten':)

Zathras

Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:34 PM
I had planned on listing all of the episodes and Alasdair's quotes today.  That's not gonna happen, probably.  I might get it started, though.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 01:45:07 PM
Z- heeya! I've been meaning to get back to work on these all last week. However- Though I heart the trivia I've been a busy busy bee. Not enough time in not enough days. :P

I'd be happy to post the eps and the quotes, if you'd like the extra hand. The part that's taking the time is figuring out where they're from. I already have quite a few (more then half) listed.  Let me know. I should have some extra time coming to me here soonish (I hope) so I can actually "play"

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Zathras

Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 02:12:54 PM
I listened to all of Alasdair's intros and outros yesterday and took notes.  I listened to a few episodes, of PP along the way, so that slowed me down.   ;)  I have most of the stuff, but some of it is missing and some I'm not sure I heard correctly.  I don't have the best of hearing and sometimes I miss a word or two from Al.

I'm going to post the master list in the About Pseudopod forum and lock it.  We can keep this thread going for corrections and references.  I'll edit that post and once it's done, I'll unlock it.  Be patient, it's a lot of typing.

Zathras

Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 03:17:33 PM
Master list is up at About Pseudopod.  It needs corrections.  Point out my grammatical errors as well as any incorrect quotes.  Mods, feel free to edit for corrections.

That was more difficult than I anticipated...

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 05:36:08 PM
maybe Al got lazy for 91 & 117?

Zathras

Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 05:41:13 PM
There were some repeats, and one whole outro was used twice.  I had asked Al before this if he had used a certain line, and he said he had.  It wasn't on any of the 'casts.  I don't know if he had recorded it and not used it, or if I had planted a memory in his brain.  If it's the latter, I need to plant one about the $5000 he owes me.   ;D

I get the feeling that sometimes he records different segments of the outros at different times, especially when there is a sponsor.

To get back on topic, I'm going to work on the answer post later today.  I'm probably also going to turn the thread into a complete episode list and list who the host was.

Oh, and one of the references wasn't by Al...

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 11:28:34 PM
Ep130: The usual suspects
EP 111: se7en

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 03:44:09 AM
i formatted the list so that it could be quickly skimmed, added here for anyone that might find it useful.

PP48:  The Disciple.  Alasdair's debut as host.  No reference.
PP49:  Big Boy.  No reference.
PP50:  Everyone Carries a Shadow.  Ben hosted, first one after his move.  No reference.

PP51:  Brothers.  Ben hosted.  No reference.
PP52:  That Old Black Magic.  Friends: "Pseudopod knows about the little girl you claim to have seen, but she died years ago."
PP53:  The Apple Tree Man.  I Know What You Did Last Summer: "Pseudopod will always know what you did last summer."
PP54:  Toothache.  No reference.
PP55:  Dead Dog.  Event Horizon: "Where Pseudopod is going we won't need eyes."
PP56:  Crab Apple.  "Pseudopod, despite what you claimed to have seen, didn't show up on any of the cameras we had installed."
PP57:  Ben hosted.  No reference.
PP58:  Through Their Bright Eyes.  Young Frankenstein: "Pseudopod was wondering whether you wouldn't mind telling it, who's brain did you put in?"
PP59:  Fever.  Shaun of the Dead: "Pseudopod wants you to look at that zombie and see the hint of sadness in his eyes, like a drunk who's lost a bet."
PP60:  Ben hosted.  No reference.

PP61:  Ben hosted.  No reference.
PP62:  Faith in Sips and Bites.  Ghost Busters: "Pseudopod ain't afraid of no ghosts."
PP63:  The Western Front.  No reference.  (Alasdair's outro about his best friend's death)
PP64:  Connecting Door:  Ghost Busters: "Pseudopod would like you to back off, because we're scientists."
PP65:  Doghead.  "Pseudopod told you a secret before you were born and then put its fingers against your mouth and went, "shhh!".
PP66:  Ben hosted.  No reference.
PP67:  Memories of the Knacker's Yard.  Se7en: "And this isn't even Pseudopod's desk."
PP68:  Across the Darien Gap.  Predetor: "Pseudopod ain't got time to bleed."
PP69:  Ben hosted.  No reference.
PP70:  Rapunzel's Room.  "Pseudopod saw it.  It's huge and it's not a bloody Lion!"

PP71:  The Intrusion. Silence of the Lambs: "Pseudopod not only doesn't hear the (Huh), Dr Lecter, it liked you better when you were (Huh)"
PP72:  Heavy Rains.  Shaun of the Dead or Minder: "Pseudopod is off down the Winchester."
PP73:  Blood Gridlock and Pez. Donnie Darko: "Pseudopod wants you to know, the rabbits are us."
PP74:  Tumble.  "Pseudopod, these are lungs."
PP75:  The Mill.  "Pseudopod wants to know where you'll be when the dieing starts."
PP76:  Ben hosted.  No reference.
PP77:  Merlin's Bane. "Pseudopod will find your shark and skin him for free."
PP78:  In a Right and Proper Place. Fargo: "Pseudopod would like to know:  Funny looking how?"
PP79:  Ice. Interview with a Vampire: "Pseudopod wants you to know, every species can smell its own extinction."
PP80:  Votary. Aliens: "Pseudopod thinks you should get going, 'cause they mostly come out at night.  Mostly."

PP81:  It's Easy to Make a Sandwich. Mulholland Drive: "Pseudopod is curious because there is no band, and yet we hear a band."
PP82:  The Language of Crows. The Usual Suspects: "Pseudopod wants to know:  How do you shoot the devil in the back?  What if you miss?"
PP83:  Heartstrung. Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead "Pseudopod wants to know what the matter is, you've never taken a shortcut before?"
PP84:  The Sons of Carbon County. The Matrix: "Pseudopod assures you, there is no spoon."
PP85:  Living in Sepia.  "Pseudopod is ready to tell you a secret."
PP86:  The Wild Y.  "Pseudopod wants you to know, there's a good chance you could die right here on this table."
PP87:  A Place of Snow Angels.  "Pseudopod's research into the Chevaillies Effect is going far, far better than anyone could have anticipated."
PP88:  The Guardian.  "Pseudopod wants to tell you a story.  Once upon a time, there lived a magnificent race of animals that dominated the world through age after age.  They ran.  They swam.  And they fought.  And they flew.  Until, suddenly, quite recently, they disappeared.  Nature just gave up and started again.  We weren't even apes then.  We were just these smart little rodents waiting in the wings.  And when we go, nature will start over.  With the bees, probably.  Nature knows when to give up."
PP89:  Wounds.  "Pseudopod thinks we should, maybe, get another drink."
PP90:  The Exhibition.  "Pseudopod knows you should never touch the body."

PP91:  Caesar's Ghost. Cloverfield: "Pseudopod, the air just caught on fire.  There's not going to be a lull."
PP92:  The Sloan Men.  "Pseudopod figures if you're hungry, how about a piece of your friend?"
PP93:  The Land of Reeds.  "Pseudopod wants to know if it's possible that there are no coincidences."
PP94:  The Skull Faced Boy.  "Pseudopod realizes you need both things (Huh)"
PP95:  No Tomorrows.  "Pseudopod is talking to a plastic (Huh)"
PP96:  The Cutting Room. Split Second: "Pseudopod thinks we are going to need bigger guns."
PP97:  Mrs Branson Calling. Roadhouse: "Pseudopod thought he'd be taller."
PP98:  Among the Moabites.  "Pseudopod...Pseudopod can hear something coming."
PP99.  Photo Finish.  "Pseudopod wants to know how you want to go out, on your feet or on your knees?"
PP100:  The Music of Erick Zahn. Necronomicon: "Pseudopod wants you to know, that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange elements, even death may die."

PP101:  Homecoming.  "Pseudopod wants to know, if they made a movie about all of this, who would play you?"
PP102:  Dear Killer.  "Pseudopod cannot be harmed by conventional weaponry."
PP103:  Geist. Pitch Black: "Pseudopod would like to ask, why don't you just shut up and let me figure out a plan that doesn't involve mass suicide."
PP104:  The Book in the Earth.  "Pseudopod would like to keep this handy, for close encounters."
PP105:  Pattern Masters.  "Pseudopod, Pseudopod is kind of funny lookin'."
PP106:  Jihad Over Innsmouth.  "Pseudopod needs to get this straight.  This is a maximum security prison and you have no weapons of any kind?"
PP107:  Front Row Seats. Alien 3: "Pseudopod would like you to go and visit one of our clients in Transylvania, a certain Count Drakula."
PP108:  The Teacher.  "Pseudopod knows that a Goddess dwells in these halls, and her name is Victory."
PP109:  In the Coils of the Serpent.  "Pseudopod would like you to start at the beginning to ensure you know nothing."
PP110:  Spurling's Virus. Aliens: "Pseudopod would like to know, is this going to be a stand up fight, or just another bug hunt?"

PP111:  Radiodemonology. se7en: "Pseudopod would like to know, Do you sit around reading Guns and Ammo, masturbating in your own feces?  Do you ever just stop and go, "Wow!  It is amazing how fucking crazy I am?"
PP112:  Periods. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Pseudopod has Mr. Pointy on standby, just in case."
PP113:  Furnace Room Lullaby. Cloverfield: "Pseudopod would like you to know, the air just caught on fire , there isn't going to be a lull."
PP114:  The Cellar. Brazil: "Pseudopod would like to know, has anyone seen Sam Lowry?"
PP115:  Clockwork. Predator: "Pseudopod ain't got time to bleed."
PP116:  Sick Day.  "Pseudopod would like to point out, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then chances are, it's a duck with a meat clever."
PP117:  Deep Red. Cloverfield: "Pseudopod would like you to know, the air just caught on fire , there isn't going to be a lull."
PP118:  Lala Salama. Deep Blue Sea: "Pseudopod would like you to know that beneath the surface there's a world of gliding monsters."
PP119:  Pran's Confession.  "Pseudopod had a dream like that once.'
PP120:  Iowa Highway.  "Pseudopod has extensive files."

PP121:  Blood, Snow and Sparrows. The Terminator: "Pseudopod would like you to know, it absolutely will not stop until you are dead."
PP122:  Ben hosted.  No reference.
PP123:  Bone Sigh.  "Pseudopod would like to know if there's even a plan B."
PP124:  Scavenger.  "Pseudopod isn't surprised.  HuhHuh listen to the kid.  Of course, no one ever listens to the kid."
PP125:  The Interview.  "Pseudopod is all too aware, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then chances are, it's a duck with a meat clever."
PP126:  The Ashen Thing. 28 Weeks Later: "Pseudopod just heard the order, "Abandon selective targeting".
PP127:  The Garden and the Mirror.  "Pseudopod looked in that room just a second ago and no one was there."
PP128:  Bone Mother.  "Pseudopod is all too aware, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then chances are, it's a duck with a meat clever."
PP129:  Bottle Babies. Masters of Horror: "Pseudopod is all too aware, the only question is, which one of you is the bigger psycho?"

the ones i added (the same Cloverfeild quote shows up three time, seems to be an Al favourite):

PP53:  The Apple Tree Man.  I Know What You Did Last Summer: "Pseudopod will always know what you did last summer."
PP64:  Connecting Door:  Ghost Busters: "Pseudopod would like you to back off, because we're scientists."
PP71:  The Intrusion. Silence of the Lambs: "Pseudopod not only doesn't hear the (Huh), Dr Lecter, it liked you better when you were (Huh)"
PP84:  The Sons of Carbon County. The Matrix: "Pseudopod assures you, there is no spoon."
PP91:  Caesar's Ghost. Cloverfield: "Pseudopod, the air just caught on fire.  There's not going to be a lull."
PP96:  The Cutting Room. Split Second:(additional trivia: the movie was actually set the same year this episode aired) "Pseudopod thinks we are going to need bigger guns."
PP97:  Mrs Branson Calling. Roadhouse: "Pseudopod thought he'd be taller."
PP100:  The Music of Erick Zahn. Necronomicon: "Pseudopod wants you to know, that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange elements, even death may die."
PP103:  Geist. Pitch Black: "Pseudopod would like to ask, why don't you just shut up and let me figure out a plan that doesn't involve mass suicide."
PP107:  Front Row Seats. Alien 3: "Pseudopod would like you to go and visit one of our clients in Transylvania, a certain Count Drakula."
PP112:  Periods. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Pseudopod has Mr. Pointy on standby, just in case."
PP113:  Furnace Room Lullaby. Cloverfield: "Pseudopod would like you to know, the air just caught on fire , there isn't going to be a lull."
PP114:  The Cellar. Brazil: "Pseudopod would like to know, has anyone seen Sam Lowry?"
PP115:  Clockwork. Predator: "Pseudopod ain't got time to bleed."
PP117:  Deep Red. Cloverfield: "Pseudopod would like you to know, the air just caught on fire , there isn't going to be a lull."
PP118:  Lala Salama. Deep Blue Sea: "Pseudopod would like you to know that beneath the surface there's a world of gliding monsters."
PP121:  Blood, Snow and Sparrows. The Terminator: "Pseudopod would like you to know, it absolutely will not stop until you are dead."
PP126:  The Ashen Thing. 28 Weeks Later: "Pseudopod just heard the order, "Abandon selective targeting".
PP129:  Bottle Babies. Masters of Horror: "Pseudopod is all too aware, the only question is, which one of you is the bigger psycho?"
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:52:43 AM by deflective »

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:23 AM
Wow.  Nice work, Z:)

Also, I'd like to apologise for using that Cloverfield line SIX.TIMES.

I'm off to watch a ton more movies and make some notes:)

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 11:15:29 AM
You have to say it is a pretty awesome line.

Zathras

Reply #41 on: February 21, 2009, 12:49:31 PM
Thanks, deflective!  All those "(huh)" bits in there?  Those were question marks that turned into emoticons.

I still haven't gotten approval or denial for Alasdair's voice on your home answering machine as a prize.  Although with us, I'm sure it would be voicemail.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #42 on: February 21, 2009, 02:02:01 PM
Hell yes you have:)  Happy to do it:)

Zathras

Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 05:07:09 PM
PP77:  A bastardization of Quint's speech in Jaws, at least, I think it is.
PP85:  The Sixth Sense?
Deflective listed Alien3 for PP107, but it's for PP106.
PP116, PP125, PP128:  Masters of Horror

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 07:15:41 PM
i moved the list into an editor so i could use my macros but forgot to change the (huh)s back.

the shark skinning quote sounded like jaws to me too but it could be deep blue sea.

Zathras

Reply #45 on: February 21, 2009, 07:43:29 PM
That's one of the reasons why Al is so good at this.  Anyone can just spew forth a quote, word for word.  Al takes the quote, makes it his own and then spews it out.  He is the king, because he isn't covered in shite like the rest of us repressed individuals.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 11:48:59 PM
pp77 deep blue sea: "i'll find him for $3,000, but i'll catch him and kill him for $10,000."
pp88 wargames.

Zathras

Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 12:14:02 AM
Hey, Alasdair, feel free to chime in with corrections and hints. 

Deflective, the "$3000 to find him, $10,000 to kill him" was from Jaws

I'll need to redo the PPTV episode, it dropped the British accent from Al's character.  I worked on another one, but they are having problems with their system, and I couldn't finish it.  I'll do some more of those later.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 12:30:55 AM
ah, so right. my search technique is weak.

PP86:  The Wild Y.  Friday Night Lights(series): "Pseudopod wants you to know, there's a good chance you could die right here on this table."

the first season was really solid, odd connecting it to pseudopod tho.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:34:32 AM by deflective »

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 11:36:39 AM
Will do, Z.

That 'Die right here, on this table' line is from Awake.  Very odd movie featuring Hayden Christensen being fully aware as he's operated on by surgeons who may or may not want to kill him.