Author Topic: Another "reccommend me a podcast" thread.  (Read 6501 times)

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:41 PM
Hey there.

I'm subscribed to EP, PP, PC, The Drabblecast, Well Told Tales, Variant Frequencies and Air Out My Shorts and I've worked my way through all of their backlogs. I've also listened to everything Scott Sigler's put out. (I consume a lot of audio, and not just fiction :P).

Are there any other wonderful podcasts I need to know about?

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:20:41 PM
Hey there.

I'm subscribed to EP, PP, PC, The Drabblecast, Well Told Tales, Variant Frequencies and Air Out My Shorts and I've worked my way through all of their backlogs. I've also listened to everything Scott Sigler's put out. (I consume a lot of audio, and not just fiction :P).

Are there any other wonderful podcasts I need to know about?

Classic Tales podcast. This week they are doing Melville, but any given week you'll find a classic Poe detective story, a Sherlock Holmes mystery, a piece of H.G. Wells... There is also poetry and some longform pieces too. B.J. Harrison did a wonderful job with Heart of Darkness not long ago, and has done some wonderful reading of Tarzan of the Apes.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:18:03 PM
Decoder Ring Theatre! It is full of awesome and win. All of it. Dont wait, go start downloading now.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:57:57 PM
If you like football, www.thefantasyfootballguys.com is the best fantasy AND reality football show I've ever heard, on the radio or on the internet. Of course, they just went to hiatus until July (except for the draft), but they're definitely worth it.

There's also the Geologic Podcast (geologicpodcast.com, I think), Poly Weekly (started listening on Steve's recommendation and though I'm not poly it's a pretty good show), and if you want erotica, Nobilis's show is pretty good, although (and forgive me, N) sometimes his voice gets a little repetitive when you're going through the backlog.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

izzardfan

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:23:26 AM
I've heard Starship Sofa is good, though I've only listened to one episode so far:  they had Spider Robinson read his own work "Melancholy Elephants" and since I'm a huge Spider fan and love that story, I had to have it.  I've downloaded the entire back catalog (via iTunes) but haven't had time yet as I'm working my way through clonepod, Space Casey, and PRI Selected Shorts, as well as EP and PC as they happen.  Another place to look for lists of good podcasts is here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 02:27:48 AM by izzardfan »

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:54:17 AM
I also dig Star Ship Sofa. And I was also pleased as punch when they got Spider on. He's the barely heard of writer I reccomend to people looking for interesting reading.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

izzardfan

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:46:33 AM
I also dig Star Ship Sofa. And I was also pleased as punch when they got Spider on. He's the barely heard of writer I reccomend to people looking for interesting reading.

barely heard of?   Srsly?

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:51:12 AM
Well- in the groups of people I talk to. The main Sci-fi most of the hubs "boys" know about is pretty main stream stuff. And the wives.. don't get me started on the wives.

However due to a collection of his books and good PR skills- I've spread the word and formed a small fan tribe on the Air Force base.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:41:33 PM
izzardfan, I used to listen to Spider's own podcast.  I'm not sure if he's still doing it.  Apparently, wasn't getting as much fan support as he'd hoped.  It was called Spider on the Web.  Some fiction, lots of music, and a bit of him just rambling, which is very cool if you're into Spider.

Also, check out The Dunesteef.  www.dunesteef.com
Fun little podcast.  Great story up front, followed by 20 or 30 minutes of BS-ing from the hosts.  I actually listen all the way through, as I think they're rather funny.  Reminds me of The Drabblecast, as far as the sort of stories they run.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:37:10 PM by gelee »

izzardfan

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 01:26:11 PM
izzardfan, I used to listen to Spider's own podcast.  I'm not sure if he's still doing it.  Apparently, wasn't getting as much fan support as he'd hoped.  It was called Spider on the Web.  Some fiction, lots of music, and a bit of him just rambling, which is very cool if you're into Spider.

Yep, it's still going.  It's wonderful.  I love his voice, whether reading or rambling.  I'm not that much into the jazz he plays, but I can skip over the music.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 05:36:24 PM
Thanks for the reccommendations. i've heard two episodes of the Dunesteef and both were marvellous, i've yet to listen to my first episodes of the following:

Starship Sofa
Decoder Ring Theatre
Classic Tales
PRI selected shorts

which is probably quite enough for now. Thanks again!

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 07:39:57 PM
Sadly I just dropped Selected shorts.  It's really good, but I just wasn't getting to it.  The backlog needed to be thinned.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 04:37:21 AM
I've just started subscribing to Radio Detective Story Hour.
Typically it's a few minutes of introductory background by the host, followed by an archived OTR ("Old Time Radio") detective show, vintage advertising and all. Each episode features an episode from a different series (except for some additional episodes from a few favourite series), so it's a good survey of the various sub-genres.

If you think you might like to hear more episodes from a particular series, it's very likely that there are dozens more in the OTR section of archive.org. The only catch is that those aren't podcast feeds. Either download individual episodes mp3 files manually, or download them all as one big zip file.
Of course archive.org also has OTR comedy series, suspense series, dramas, soap operas, variety shows, newscasts, big band specials, westerns, anthology SciFi, space opera episodic series, and so on. Generally, the older ones are noisier and scratchier, but there's buried treasure everywhere.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")