Author Topic: Meta discussion from EP187  (Read 23636 times)

Russell Nash

on: February 08, 2009, 08:33:17 PM
Post whatever comments you have about Steve's announcements from EP187.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:26 PM
I trust Ben Phillips to do well.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:48:07 PM

Who is Ben Phillips and is he any relation to Steve Ballmer?

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:50:38 PM
I'm working on the basis that EP is Steve's baby and if he feels Ben is the right person to look after it then who am I to question it.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Schreiber

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:31:46 PM
As for Steve's other announcement, I'm not sure how I feel about an episode specifically devoted to feedback.  It's not that I'm not interested in hearing what people have to say, but I don't think I'd ever get around to listening to that kind of podcast.  Much as I love StarshipSofa, I never seem to end up playing the Engine Room episodes.

Plus, I have to say it's kind of nice wondering if you'll be one of the two or three quoted posters at the end of an episode.  It really made my day the couple times I was quoted on Escape Pod and I can see how a long, blow-by-blow breakdown of the forum could take away from some of the magic.  But I guess I should probably withhold judgment until I hear what's already been recorded.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:38:22 PM by Schreiber »

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:01:45 AM
me getting quoted in EP186 was the best moment of my life.

no, not really.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 12:54:13 AM
I trust all will be well. If handing over some of the power will take some of the strain off Steve, and I keep getting me my sweet sweet sci-fi crack then I'm a happy girl. As to a feedback show? I'll wait and see how I feel about it when/if it happens. Getting quoted or referenced is always an insanely huge happy geek girl moment for me.  So- on one hand more chances to have my "name" dropped? Cool. On the other hand I don't listen to feedback shows on any of the other things I've been into- but I always got into them late so was never either involved in the making of or knew anyone who was..

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

godzilla8nj

• Extern
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 02:22:42 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about an episode specifically devoted to feedback.  It's not that I'm not interested in hearing what people have to say, but I don't think I'd ever get around to listening to that kind of podcast.
I feel the same. The feedback gave the episodes a community feel I liked (the ones Steve read not the phone message ones, those I can live without.) Honestly I probably wouldn't have signed up for the forum if it wasn't for the feedback. That said, in the beginning I wouldn't have listened to a separate feedback cast because it was the stories which brought me to EP. However I'm not going to pass judgment until I hear one.

(Oh, and no offense to any callers on the boards. It wasn't the reviews or the feedback themselves, the format just didn't work for me.)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:40:12 AM
In regards to feedback: If its a matter of sheer volume, just catch up as needed than resume as normal. I think one episode just for feed back would be swell, but ultimately I prefer feedback the way it always has been done.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:46 PM
Steve will still be buying the stories, hosting the podcast, and occasionally narrating stories.  He will also not be getting bogged down or burned out by the business of it.  I'm Good!

Guest hosts?  as long as they are rare, I suppose it might work, but it will be like tuning in to watch Carson, but getting Joan Rivers instead.

separate feedback?  I'm down with that, as long as it does not become Winging It.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

eytanz

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:57:05 PM
As for the structural changes in EA - if Steve (and Ben) think this is for the best, I certainly have no reason to think otherwise. I'm glad that Steve is still going to be the one selecting/narrating stories for EP - the business side only matters to me insofar as it facilitates the podcasts (though this reminds me, I should make another donation soon, once my own financial chaos stabilizes a bit).

As for feedback episodes - I share some of the initial concerns that were brought up - specifically, that this will be less conductive to community-building - but I think we should wait until we actually hear such an episode before making any judgments. We shouldn't fear experimentation, and I trust Steve to make the proper decisions based on the actual success or failure of the new format.

Rain

• Matross
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 03:29:49 PM
I was afraid for a moment that Steve would stop completely, but luckily he isnt, i cant imagine the change will mean much for me as a listener so anything that gives Steve some more time is fine by me

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 05:19:18 PM

Yeah, this.

I think it will be really good for someone like Ben to do some of the more business-oriented work, allowing Steve to be able to focus on his labor of love (picking stories, intros/outros, and occassionally narrating Escape Pod). Hopefully, Ben will still do heaps of narration at Pseudopod, though.

I'm on the fence on the feedback. I'm willing to give it a shot. Maybe there's a way to work in blog posts/forum discussion with the feedback episodes?

Guest Hosts I'm down with, as long as Steve is still the host. I'm sure those episodes will have a different flavor, but it's happened on the other EA podcasts before. So I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Zathras

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 05:26:47 PM
I'm excited about the changes.  Steve obviously had too much on his plate.  There already was 1 guest host, so I'm ok with that.  Add me to the list of fence sitters about the feedback shows.  I'm not a huge fan of Skype shows.  I trust EA more than others to get the sound quality right.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 05:30:57 PM
mmm. TBH as long as it means that we'll get regular escape pod and steve and the others don't have to sacrafice... that thing they have... I think it's called a life... in order to get the pods to us hungry addicts.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 05:52:10 PM
Guest Hosts... it's happened on the other EA podcasts before. So I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

I think it works for PodCastle because that's how they started, but a huge component of EscapePod enjoyment for me comes from Steve as host.  The rare appearance of a guest host is cool, though.

Zathras

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 05:54:20 PM
Guest Hosts... it's happened on the other EA podcasts before. So I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

I think it works for PodCastle because that's how they started, but a huge component of EscapePod enjoyment for me comes from Steve as host.  The rare appearance of a guest host is cool, though.

But there has been a guest host on Escapepod before.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 06:39:59 PM
I'm all in favor of the occassional guest host. Why not?

I am too a bit leery of an episode of just feedback, but we'll see.

Aside from that I am sure Mr. Phillips will do a splendiferous job. I was relieved that the changes were far less dramatic (at least from a listener perspective) than I had feared.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 06:50:35 PM
Do we need another ZARGA to find out which episode and who the guest host was?

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 07:53:17 PM

In case Allie isn't joking, I'll answer this.  Ben is the editor of Pseudopod.  Alistair is the host at PP.  From what Al has said about Ben's management style I think EA is in great hands.

Guest hosts – I prefer a set feel to a podcast.  I liked when Al took over PP.  I like Steve at EP.  I think the comment about Carson sums up my feelings, too.

Feedback eps – I have always deleted every feedback episode that has come onto my computer.  This started back when I was still listened to Sigler.  He'd have the last 15 minutes of his show be guys saying, "this is f***ing great!"  If was F***ing boring.  I'll give this one a go, but I have so many podcast as it is.  I really don't know if it will make the cut.  Also the only "roundtable podcast" I listen to is the Slate political gabfest.  All of the others just annoy the hell out of me

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 07:54:40 PM

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 08:10:29 PM

I tell you what, whoever they get to guest host better not suck!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Zathras

Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 08:12:34 PM
How about the kids from CP?

::runs::

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 08:26:16 PM
::Wipes R_L's brains off of the baseball bat and runs after Zathras::

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 08:34:41 PM
*eats own brains*

mmm, brains...

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 08:38:06 PM
Eating your own brains???

What were you THINKING!

Russell Nash

Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 08:49:51 PM

What were you THINKING!

Retention of information?

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:23 PM
go anal-retentiveness!

Russell Nash

Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 11:01:33 PM
*eats own brains*

mmm, brains...

What were you THINKING!
Retention of information?
go anal-retentiveness!
::Rocking back and forth mumbling to myself::
Must not make "shit for brains" comment.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 11:59:20 PM
You really like me, don't you Nash?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 12:09:58 AM
I'm excited about the changes.  Steve obviously had too much on his plate.  There already was 1 guest host, so I'm ok with that.  Add me to the list of fence sitters about the feedback shows.  I'm not a huge fan of Skype shows.  I trust EA more than others to get the sound quality right.

Several EA fans and contributors live in the greater Atlanta area. (Points to self.) I'm sure we could all get together somewhere and talk into microphones. I even have a real one, with an XLR connection and everything.

Just sayin'.

I don't much like Skype shows either. When I produced a show, we communicated via Google Chat, but recorded separate audio feeds out of our computers and I mixed them together later.

Which reminds me... was Steve in the bathroom this week?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Russell Nash

Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 12:36:51 AM

I love all the little people.

Seriously, you just like a guy that can take a shot and bounce back.  I've given you a few to the head, so I can test that theory.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 01:57:46 AM
Changing host on an EA podcast isn't unprecedented, even pre-PodCastle.  I'm still working my way forward through the PseudoPod backlog, and the show back then was hosted by Mur Lafferty.  When did that change?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 03:23:29 AM
Changing host on an EA podcast isn't unprecedented, even pre-PodCastle.  I'm still working my way forward through the PseudoPod backlog, and the show back then was hosted by Mur Lafferty.  When did that change?
when Mur realized how much she was trying to do :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 03:31:21 AM
when Mur realized how much she was trying to do :P

I meant, approximate episode number.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 05:27:42 AM
Episode 47 or so. I believe Steve guess hosted that ep, Mur left an ep or so before that, and after that, the rest is Al Stuart (and Ben Phillips -- Al's constant).

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 11:04:35 AM
Episode 47 or so. I believe Steve guess hosted that ep, Mur left an ep or so before that, and after that, the rest is Al Stuart (and Ben Phillips -- Al's constant).

My first ever PP was the one Steve hosted.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 01:24:11 PM

In case Allie isn't joking, I'll answer this.  Ben is the editor of Pseudopod.  Alistair is the host at PP.  From what Al has said about Ben's management style I think EA is in great hands.

I think pseudopod is beautifully done. And I hate it because I hate horror. Well, not hate, but avoid.

I remember too many stories of creators or inventors who allowed the business side taken over by "businessmen" and who then got pushed out of their own creation. Hell, it happened to Steve Jobs for a while.

But that could never happen here, right?

Ignore me. I'm too well-informed, aka, paranoid.

OsamaBinLondon

• Palmer
Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 11:04:02 AM
To me it seemed Steve had been loosing his grip on EP for some time.  I know EP is his baby, but perhaps he should have handed over some time ago before things slid from his grasp.

Ben Phillips has done and excellent job editing at PP and I consider it a special treat when he does the oratory for stories.  Alistair is a great host.  His intro's and outro's are exceptionally well thought out and fantastically delivered.  I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.  Something I have never managed to get used to.

At any rate I love what Ben Phillips has done with Pseudopod, even though at times he's had an almost phantom-like presence.

Maybe Steve could start a new pet project in addtion to doing a some EP hosting.  I certainly give him credit for coming up with great ideas and getting them off the ground.  Also I've not heard a story from him for some time, is he even still writing?

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 01:53:30 PM
I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.

I think he has a good delivery, but the processing done on his audio files (maybe it's a microphone problem, I don't know) is a bit noticeable.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 02:00:12 PM
  Alistair is a great host.  His intro's and outro's are exceptionally well thought out and fantastically delivered.  I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.  Something I have never managed to get used to.

Huh. Just the opposite, I really enjoy when he reads the stories.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 06:27:07 PM
  Alistair is a great host.  His intro's and outro's are exceptionally well thought out and fantastically delivered.  I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.  Something I have never managed to get used to.

I like Alasdair's narration too.

Russell Nash

Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 07:36:22 PM

I like Alasdair's narration too.

Al had a few rocky first stories and he got a new asshole ripped for him on the forums.  He really seemed to go to school on what was said and has become one of my favorite narrators.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 09:45:17 PM
Al is an exellent narrator but Ben Phillips is just unbeatable.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:06 PM

I love all the little people.

Seriously, you just like a guy that can take a shot and bounce back.  I've given you a few to the head, so I can test that theory.

izzardfan

Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:08 AM
Would one of the mods please retitle and move this post if necessary?

Just a heads up for something I noticed:  Podcastle.org has a link on the home page to both EscapePod and PseudoPod, and PseudoPod has a link to both EscapePod and Podcastle, but EscapePod does not have a link to PseudoPod (unless I missed it somehow).

In the grand scheme of things, it's not important until all the technical difficulties are fixed, but I suspect it should go on someone's to-do list eventually.

herrgrinch

• Extern
Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 01:29:38 AM
I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.
I think he has a good delivery, but the processing done on his audio files (maybe it's a microphone problem, I don't know) is a bit noticeable.

I agree. It sounds like Alistair records in an empty room or with a poor mic. When he reads the stories I generally skip those PP, not because his narration is bad, but because there's a weird bounce in the room (and ultimately distracts me from the story).

jalan

• Extern
Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47:26 AM

Al had a few rocky first stories and he got a new asshole ripped for him on the forums.  He really seemed to go to school on what was said and has become one of my favorite narrators.

Yah, twas a bit harsh as I remember.  Al is not a bad reader.  I'd like to hear Ben do most of the stories though.  He's up there with Norm Sherman and BJ Harrison from Drabblecast and Classic Tales as far as talent.  Al's a great host though, love his outros.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 07:50:56 AM
i never have a problem with Al's narrations...
anyway.. for those of you who want more Al and Ben... they are over at PP a lot :)
Al just narrated the latest Pseudopod Flash!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 04:50:43 PM

Now I'm trying to figure out if you threw this out there before or after you became guest host.

Anyway, thought you did a good job, man. Although that's not at all what I expected you to sound like ;D

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 05:02:00 PM

Now I'm trying to figure out if you threw this out there before or after you became guest host.

Anyway, thought you did a good job, man. Although that's not at all what I expected you to sound like ;D

I posted that just after I sent the two versions of this story's opening to Escape Pod :)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 07:03:50 PM
Okay, so I'm a little bit confused. Jeremy Tolbert is Managing Editor of Escape Pod. And Ben Philips is...CEO of Escape Artists? Have I got it or am I missing something?

Whatever the case, Welcome aboard, Jeremiah!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 08:40:44 PM
That sounds like what's been said... Ben is in charge of the whole three podcast ship, as well as steering Psuedopod directly. 

And now Steve has handed the tiller of Escape Pod to Jeremy.  So presumably he'll be picking which stories run from now on.  I'm nervous about that, but more than willing to give him a good shot.  Actually it should be interesting to see how someone else's taste in stories shifts things around.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:28 PM
I'm unclear as to what Eley's new function is.  Will he still host EP?  If not, I'm really going to miss his style.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:37 PM
I think he's still host -- getting a managing editor will allow him to "just do the podcast." I'm also pretty sure he will have an influence on story selection, though I'm not sure how much influence he'll have. Final say? Or will EP be more of a combination of his tastes and the Flea King's (AKA Jeremiah Tolbert...I just feel weird calling him that all the time :))

Mostly, I think this is a very good thing.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #55 on: March 14, 2009, 02:08:46 PM
Basically yeah, at this company "CEO" (or whatever we're calling me) is just the manager and first point of contact for the accountant, production manager (who does contract handling, deadline reminders, etc.), PodDisc.com concerns, and IT needs of which there can potentially be many, all of which I wouldn't want to bother our new sys admin with (who is, by the way, hard at work on the server stability issues and will be slapping them into shape with authority and rigor, but does not like to be hurried -- which I respect).  It's a lot of answering email and calling people about trivial crap, and exchanging missives with the accountant that would make your eyes glaze over.  That's what happens when your one man company grows into a virile fiction-spewing beast while your back is turned.  It's a beautiful thing, but in no way trivial to manage at least as far as the time commitment involved.

Steve will still host a lot, if not nearly always, and I can't picture him becoming uninvolved with story selection.  One thing he and I have talked about is the fact that we don't have as much time as we wished to solicit stories like PodCastle does all the time, because open submissions (while we will never desert them because we're far too interested in discovering new talent) constitute a huge drain on your time as an editor.  It's better done with a little help than it is by one person...  who's also hosting.. and narrating all the time..  and producing..  and managing the company.  Did somebody mention "having a life"?!

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #56 on: March 14, 2009, 02:11:00 PM
Oh, and as Alllie mentions -- it is definitely a strong concern, as we grow, to involve staff who are vested in what we do and why we do it.