Author Topic: Is it too early to make a complaint thread  (Read 65912 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #175 on: March 04, 2009, 11:08:26 PM
When it's dark, you don't have to see how ugly the girl, you picked up in the bar, is when you're not drunk.

I'm guessing clausality's a total waste of N_sh's brain capacity, or something  :P

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #176 on: March 05, 2009, 06:57:04 AM
My question is.. where are the other people that work on this?  Why is it such a black box?

Well..  basically, the people not in charge don't feel comfortable speaking for the people who are in charge, and those of us who are in charge are busy fixing stuff.

Rest assured, no one would have been more pissed to see this boat capsize than those of us who have been volunteering crap-tons of our free time to running it.  I have, however, seized this problem by its mangy throat and will be gleefully emptying my revolver into its hideous face in short order, as you will soon see.

Russell Nash

Reply #177 on: March 05, 2009, 08:03:10 AM
When it's dark, you don't have to see how ugly the girl, you picked up in the bar, is when you're not drunk.

Would have been better if I'd done it in two sentences, but if you're so amazing, you do it in one.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #178 on: March 05, 2009, 08:04:25 AM

Would have been better if I'd done it in two sentences, but if you're so amazing, you do it in one.

There are no ugly girls in dark bars when you're drunk.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #179 on: March 05, 2009, 08:10:32 AM

There are no ugly girls in dark bars when you're drunk.

So is it a clausal fail, because I wrote it wrong; or is it s causal fail, because I used improper logic?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #180 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:12 AM
Because the interjecting dependent clause disrupts the flow of the sentence enough that it doesn't read easily, and we think that the last clause is modifying the bar instead of the girl. When I diagrammed it it's easy enough to read, because we know that it's the girl we're seeing as ugly when we're not drunk and that the fact we picked her up in a bar isn't key. The clausal fail is that the interjecting clause renders the sentence cryptic. Plus there's the inherent pun of clausal/colossal fail.

So we've gone from complaining to discussing our lack of smiting to our gift giving practices to punning to my psychoses to drunk girls in bars and then to a discussion of grammar. And they say we don't get out enough.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #181 on: March 05, 2009, 08:27:56 AM
Because the interjecting dependent clause disrupts the flow of the sentence enough that it doesn't read easily, and we think that the last clause is modifying the bar instead of the girl. When I diagrammed it it's easy enough to read, because we know that it's the girl we're seeing as ugly when we're not drunk and that the fact we picked her up in a bar isn't key. The clausal fail is that the interjecting clause renders the sentence cryptic. Plus there's the inherent pun of clausal/colossal fail.

So we've gone from complaining to discussing our lack of smiting to our gift giving practices to punning to my psychoses to drunk girls in bars and then to a discussion of grammar. And they say we don't get out enough.

I like being cryptic, so I don't see the problem. 

I think it would help if you got out more.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #182 on: March 05, 2009, 08:30:16 AM
Outside's not that inviting when it's sub-zero C and this much snow has fallen:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:35:31 AM by Heradel »

Russell Nash

Reply #183 on: March 05, 2009, 08:35:35 AM
Wimp.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #184 on: March 05, 2009, 08:38:11 AM
Wimp.

Oi, I took that at 4 in the morning. Just as the doormen and such were starting to attack the snow. You wield a metal camera body when it's that cold and keep your extremities attached.

Though actually that one was taken with my plastic digital body, not the FM2n.

I need decent gloves that still allow for fine manipulation of knobs and such.

Russell Nash

Reply #185 on: March 05, 2009, 08:42:01 AM
Wimp.

Oi, I took that at 4 in the morning. Just as the doormen and such were starting to attack the snow. You wield a metal camera body when it's that cold and keep your extremities attached.

That's what she said.

Anyway, My twin LXs and I have been there more than a few times.   The real trick comes when you have to keep the battery warm enough that the camera will still work, but not get the lenses warm enough to fog up. 

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #186 on: March 05, 2009, 08:44:23 AM
Wimp.

That's what she said.

Anyway, My twin LXs and I have been there more than a few times.   The real trick comes when you have to keep the battery warm enough that the camera will still work, but not get the lenses warm enough to fog up. 

I always use the two batteries with one in camera and one on the inside pocket of your inner pants trick.

The FM2n doesn't really care about the cold — the batteries only operate the meter, and that's never gone out. The motor winder on the other hand lasts about twenty minutes before it gives up.

Zathras

Reply #187 on: March 05, 2009, 10:32:43 AM
When it's dark you don't have to see how ugly the girl you picked up at the bar is when you're sober.

Agies

• Extern
  • "ay-geze" not "aggies"
    • No Wrong to Write
Reply #188 on: March 05, 2009, 05:15:31 PM
That doesn't look like that much snow. The cold, I'll give to you, but the snow is no big deal. Then again I come from a region of blizzards and serious snow.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #189 on: March 05, 2009, 06:24:08 PM
That doesn't look like that much snow. The cold, I'll give to you, but the snow is no big deal. Then again I come from a region of blizzards and serious snow.

I think it was something like ten inches, and you're looking at a plowed street and sidewalks that were somewhat cleared overnight. The amount of snow on the awning is about what fell, and it still snowed for a few hours later that day.

NYC hasn't had that much snow since I've been here for college, I think this is the heaviest snowfall in the last few years. But yes, it's not the upper peninsula of Michigan

Praxis

Reply #190 on: March 06, 2009, 01:53:10 PM
those of us who have been volunteering crap-tons of our free time

Is that, like, a bismuth half-life?  Or a katon?

http://www.csgnetwork.com/timemath.html

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #191 on: March 06, 2009, 07:00:52 PM
I think it was something like ten inches
that's what she said.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #192 on: March 08, 2009, 09:50:24 AM
she said nothing :(

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #193 on: March 11, 2009, 12:49:05 PM
those of us who have been volunteering crap-tons of our free time

Is that, like, a bismuth half-life?  Or a katon?

http://www.csgnetwork.com/timemath.html

A crap-ton!  Also written crapton, it's 3.8 times the size of a fuckton and equivalent to 3/8ths of a shitload.  Man, this conversion web page is useless.