Author Topic: Meta discussion from EP187  (Read 23839 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 08:38:06 PM
Eating your own brains???

What were you THINKING!

Russell Nash

Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 08:49:51 PM

What were you THINKING!

Retention of information?

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 10:53:23 PM
go anal-retentiveness!

Russell Nash

Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 11:01:33 PM
*eats own brains*

mmm, brains...

What were you THINKING!
Retention of information?
go anal-retentiveness!
::Rocking back and forth mumbling to myself::
Must not make "shit for brains" comment.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 11:59:20 PM
You really like me, don't you Nash?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 12:09:58 AM
I'm excited about the changes.  Steve obviously had too much on his plate.  There already was 1 guest host, so I'm ok with that.  Add me to the list of fence sitters about the feedback shows.  I'm not a huge fan of Skype shows.  I trust EA more than others to get the sound quality right.

Several EA fans and contributors live in the greater Atlanta area. (Points to self.) I'm sure we could all get together somewhere and talk into microphones. I even have a real one, with an XLR connection and everything.

Just sayin'.

I don't much like Skype shows either. When I produced a show, we communicated via Google Chat, but recorded separate audio feeds out of our computers and I mixed them together later.

Which reminds me... was Steve in the bathroom this week?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Russell Nash

Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 12:36:51 AM

I love all the little people.

Seriously, you just like a guy that can take a shot and bounce back.  I've given you a few to the head, so I can test that theory.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 01:57:46 AM
Changing host on an EA podcast isn't unprecedented, even pre-PodCastle.  I'm still working my way forward through the PseudoPod backlog, and the show back then was hosted by Mur Lafferty.  When did that change?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 03:23:29 AM
Changing host on an EA podcast isn't unprecedented, even pre-PodCastle.  I'm still working my way forward through the PseudoPod backlog, and the show back then was hosted by Mur Lafferty.  When did that change?
when Mur realized how much she was trying to do :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 03:31:21 AM
when Mur realized how much she was trying to do :P

I meant, approximate episode number.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 05:27:42 AM
Episode 47 or so. I believe Steve guess hosted that ep, Mur left an ep or so before that, and after that, the rest is Al Stuart (and Ben Phillips -- Al's constant).

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 11:04:35 AM
Episode 47 or so. I believe Steve guess hosted that ep, Mur left an ep or so before that, and after that, the rest is Al Stuart (and Ben Phillips -- Al's constant).

My first ever PP was the one Steve hosted.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 01:24:11 PM
I trust Ben Phillips to do well.

Who is Ben Phillips and is he any relation to Steve Ballmer?

In case Allie isn't joking, I'll answer this.  Ben is the editor of Pseudopod.  Alistair is the host at PP.  From what Al has said about Ben's management style I think EA is in great hands.

I think pseudopod is beautifully done. And I hate it because I hate horror. Well, not hate, but avoid.

I remember too many stories of creators or inventors who allowed the business side taken over by "businessmen" and who then got pushed out of their own creation. Hell, it happened to Steve Jobs for a while.

But that could never happen here, right?

Ignore me. I'm too well-informed, aka, paranoid.

OsamaBinLondon

• Palmer
Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 11:04:02 AM
To me it seemed Steve had been loosing his grip on EP for some time.  I know EP is his baby, but perhaps he should have handed over some time ago before things slid from his grasp.

Ben Phillips has done and excellent job editing at PP and I consider it a special treat when he does the oratory for stories.  Alistair is a great host.  His intro's and outro's are exceptionally well thought out and fantastically delivered.  I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.  Something I have never managed to get used to.

At any rate I love what Ben Phillips has done with Pseudopod, even though at times he's had an almost phantom-like presence.

Maybe Steve could start a new pet project in addtion to doing a some EP hosting.  I certainly give him credit for coming up with great ideas and getting them off the ground.  Also I've not heard a story from him for some time, is he even still writing?

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 01:53:30 PM
I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.

I think he has a good delivery, but the processing done on his audio files (maybe it's a microphone problem, I don't know) is a bit noticeable.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 02:00:12 PM
  Alistair is a great host.  His intro's and outro's are exceptionally well thought out and fantastically delivered.  I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.  Something I have never managed to get used to.

Huh. Just the opposite, I really enjoy when he reads the stories.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 06:27:07 PM
  Alistair is a great host.  His intro's and outro's are exceptionally well thought out and fantastically delivered.  I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.  Something I have never managed to get used to.

I like Alasdair's narration too.

Russell Nash

Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 07:36:22 PM

I like Alasdair's narration too.

Al had a few rocky first stories and he got a new asshole ripped for him on the forums.  He really seemed to go to school on what was said and has become one of my favorite narrators.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 09:45:17 PM
Al is an exellent narrator but Ben Phillips is just unbeatable.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:06 PM

I love all the little people.

Seriously, you just like a guy that can take a shot and bounce back.  I've given you a few to the head, so I can test that theory.

izzardfan

Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:08 AM
Would one of the mods please retitle and move this post if necessary?

Just a heads up for something I noticed:  Podcastle.org has a link on the home page to both EscapePod and PseudoPod, and PseudoPod has a link to both EscapePod and Podcastle, but EscapePod does not have a link to PseudoPod (unless I missed it somehow).

In the grand scheme of things, it's not important until all the technical difficulties are fixed, but I suspect it should go on someone's to-do list eventually.

herrgrinch

• Extern
Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 01:29:38 AM
I prefer it when he doesn't do the stories as his voice grates against my nerves just a bit.
I think he has a good delivery, but the processing done on his audio files (maybe it's a microphone problem, I don't know) is a bit noticeable.

I agree. It sounds like Alistair records in an empty room or with a poor mic. When he reads the stories I generally skip those PP, not because his narration is bad, but because there's a weird bounce in the room (and ultimately distracts me from the story).

jalan

• Extern
Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47:26 AM

Al had a few rocky first stories and he got a new asshole ripped for him on the forums.  He really seemed to go to school on what was said and has become one of my favorite narrators.

Yah, twas a bit harsh as I remember.  Al is not a bad reader.  I'd like to hear Ben do most of the stories though.  He's up there with Norm Sherman and BJ Harrison from Drabblecast and Classic Tales as far as talent.  Al's a great host though, love his outros.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 07:50:56 AM
i never have a problem with Al's narrations...
anyway.. for those of you who want more Al and Ben... they are over at PP a lot :)
Al just narrated the latest Pseudopod Flash!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 04:50:43 PM
Post whatever comments you have about Steve's announcements from EP187.

I tell you what, whoever they get to guest host better not suck!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Now I'm trying to figure out if you threw this out there before or after you became guest host.

Anyway, thought you did a good job, man. Although that's not at all what I expected you to sound like ;D