Author Topic: dollhouse DollHouse DOLLHOUSE  (Read 59968 times)

sirana

• Lochage
on: February 11, 2009, 10:43:53 AM
So, Joss Whedons returns to television on Friday, 13th with his new series Dollhouse .
And it's on FOX nonetheless, the Evil Empire that slew Firefly .
Already sparking a "Save Dollhouse" campaign months before the airing of the first episode, the shifting from Monday night to the "Friday Death Slot" and the reports about creative differences between Joss and the network don't paint a rosy picture of the future of the show.

What do you think? Can Joss Whedon succeed with his new series or is this going to be Firefly II? Will you watch it?

E_Soul

• Extern
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:21:14 AM
Oh, if I were back in the States I would definitely watch.

That said, I can't hold out much hope that the show will be around for long. Fox is known for slaughtering quality shows, and I have little doubt that whatever Whedon puts out will be quality. Then again, I am a bit of a fangirl. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:10:53 PM
As I noted in the Firefly thread, I'll watch it because it follows Sarah Connor.  Though I'm not sure why that's a factor, since I watch all this shit on TiVo anyway.  :-\

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:27 PM
It will be watched- 'cause Eliza is hot, and I'm also a total Whedon fan girl. I'm willing to give just about anything he's in on a chance.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:58:22 PM
I'll give it a shot. From what I hear, it's already had as twisty a beginning to production as Firefly had and I keep hearing Whedon say different stuff. I hope it lasts.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:40:33 PM
I'll be watching, but I hope he can sell it to another network after Fox kills it.  Given the following Firefly has had and the movie sequel, maybe the others networks will be waiting for it.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:57:54 AM
I'll be watching, but I hope he can sell it to another network after Fox kills it.  Given the following Firefly has had and the movie sequel, maybe the others networks will be waiting for it.

It seems Eliza has an exclusive contract with FOX (read it in an earlier interview about Dollhouse with Joss and Eliza that I am too lazy to search for). So I think the chances of this going to another network are slim...

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:28:07 AM

It seems Eliza has an exclusive contract with FOX (read it in an earlier interview about Dollhouse with Joss and Eliza that I am too lazy to search for). So I think the chances of this going to another network are slim...

Eliza had a two series development deal with Fox.  It doesn't mean she can't go anywhere else.  It means they would help her produce a series.  Once they cancel a series, the series producers, Eliza and Whedon, can walk with it.  Whedon had tried like crazy to get another network to take firefly.  I think he'll try again.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:38:02 AM
Ah, ok. thanks for clearing that up.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:21:42 AM

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:25 PM
I'll have to DVR it and see for myself, but this makes me a bit nervous. Mostly because I'm pretty sure that guy would take a bullet for Whedon...

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 09:59:41 AM
I LOVED the pilot... which means it will be cancelled before the season is over.

The reviews are abysmal, at least when the classical media is concerned (and while the blogs are not as negative they aren't full on positive either)

The pilot was so good I will be watching it a couple more times this week, but still I am not very hopeful. Let's wait for the ratings...

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 12:26:36 PM
I watched the first episode and wasn't encouraged.  It doesn't have the things that made Buffy worth watching: snappy dialogue, interesting characters, an interesting world, genre tweaking, insight into adolescence.  That's a lot of baggage for a new show to have to carry, but at a minimum, I'd hope that at the end of the hour, I'd want to know more about Echo and who she is.  I don't.  And I'm not especially interested in the premise of the show, or even convinced that it makes all that much sense.  (As opposed to teenagers fighting vampires.  That's, like, totally logical.  Duh.)

I'll watch another episode or two and see if it improves.  But I'm not optimistic.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 01:46:34 PM
I watched the first episode and wasn't encouraged.  It doesn't have the things that made Buffy worth watching: snappy dialogue, interesting characters, an interesting world, genre tweaking, insight into adolescence.  That's a lot of baggage for a new show to have to carry, but at a minimum, I'd hope that at the end of the hour, I'd want to know more about Echo and who she is.  I don't.  And I'm not especially interested in the premise of the show, or even convinced that it makes all that much sense.  (As opposed to teenagers fighting vampires.  That's, like, totally logical.  Duh.)

I'll watch another episode or two and see if it improves.  But I'm not optimistic.

the "insight into adolescence" part is obviously not applicable at all, as this is a different kind of show completely. There was a lot of humor in Buffy, too, and this is quite different on that front.

But yeah, my feelings on the pilot were mixed. I didnt love it but ill give it another shot.

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 02:04:06 PM

the "insight into adolescence" part is obviously not applicable at all, as this is a different kind of show completely. There was a lot of humor in Buffy, too, and this is quite different on that front.

Well, sure.  I wouldn't expect Whedon to do the same thing again, but some sort of insight into some part of the human condition would be nice.  Still, as I said, it's not really fair to expect the show pilot to live up to the totality of another series; the early episodes of Buffy were pretty rough too.  I'll keep watching, for at least a couple of weeks, and see what happens.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 05:45:17 PM
of course this being Fox the show is doomed anyhow ;)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 07:39:37 PM
I didn't love the show immediately, but Whedon tends to get better as it goes, so I'm not really worried. Firefly was remarkable in how quickly those characters grabbed you.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 10:15:29 PM

Why bother then?  I think I'll just delete it from my TiVo, unwatched.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 11:43:35 PM
Hmm, the ratings are out and they pretty much what people expected. 4.7 million viewers and a 2.0 rating share in the 14-49 demographic.
Not stellar but solid. If they can keep this kind of rating on a friday night, there might be a good chance that Dollhouse will stick around, especially with FOX knowing that they will sell a lot of dvd-sets.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 03:33:44 AM
i just watched the pilot. it was neither encouraging or discouraging, just satisfactory.

as already said, Whedon gets better after he builds the world and reveals his character's backgrounds so it'll be three or four episodes before we get a real feeling for the show. i like it well enough to keep watching and see if a twist hooks me.

izzardfan

Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 08:50:32 AM

Based on the fact that (1) I never liked other Joss Whedon shows, and (2) the reviews are less than stellar, even from fans, I've decided to do the same.  I've got too many shows (which I enjoy) being recorded already.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 09:21:23 AM

Either you're being sarcastic or misunderstanding fandom in some fundamental way (or have never seen Firefly or Doctor Horrible). Whedon fandom post-Firefly has been hope over experience for all involved.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 03:39:52 PM

Either you're being sarcastic or misunderstanding fandom in some fundamental way (or have never seen Firefly or Doctor Horrible). Whedon fandom post-Firefly has been hope over experience for all involved.

I'm being sarcastic.  I actually watched it before watching Terminator: TSCC

Interesting; shows potential.  I like it better than Firefly (as I've said before; I have no great opinion of Firefly and I've never watched Buffy or Angel.)

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 11:35:58 PM
So far, so good. Okay, at least.

I suspect they wanted to get the premise established, and then we'll meet other characters, like Sierra there, near the end. Whoah ... is she, like, part alien? From Zeta Reticuli?

Then I'm hoping they get the ensemble chemistry thing going, which is what I liked about BtVS, Angel, and Firefly.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 12:27:22 AM

Based on the fact that (1) I never liked other Joss Whedon shows, and (2) the reviews are less than stellar, even from fans, I've decided to do the same.  I've got too many shows (which I enjoy) being recorded already.

You didn't like 'Firefly'?

*eyes you suspiciously and slowly backs away*