The Lounge at the End of the Universe > Gallimaufry

What are you reading?

(1/539) > >>

Russell Nash:
What are you reading and what is in your waiting to be read pile?

I'm reading three books right now.
1) The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
It's a look at the American food supply chain. You'll never eat at McDonald's again.

2) The Swarm
I got this one for my birthday last year and knew nothing about it. It's an English translation of a best-selling German book. The translation is a little academic, meaning no one uses any slang and the Canadians and Americans speak perfect British English. The book started out as kind of an enviromental warning story, but around page 200 of over 700 it started sliding slowly towards being SF. I don't know where it's going now.

3) A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam by Karen Armstrong
The silmilarities and differences of the three "linked" religions and a real look at what the three holy boooks have to say. Fascinating, but I find it can only be read 50 pages at a time. There's so much in it that you need to take a couple of weeks off every so often.

On my to be read pile I have three books
1&2) Are the first two books of the Terry Pratchet Discworld series. (What did everyone think of these?)

3) I forget the exact name of the third, but it's book one of a three part history of the Third Reich. The history of Germany leading up to the 1933 elections. I started it last year and set it aside. Hopefully I can get into it more on my second attempt.

I hope to hear what you guys are reading and maybe get some ideas of what else belongs in my pile.

Tom

scottjanssens:
I'm about to finish up Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories by Jean Shepherd.  After that it'll be Gaiman's latest.

Bdoomed:
my readin pile is huge... well, i cant be readin for fun much lately
but im trying to read Clive Cussler's Trojan Odyssey (love them Dirk Pit novels!)

to be read:
more clive cussler
Dune
A Briefer History of Time
Nietche (spellin is bad i know)
Plato's Republic
Harry Potter 7 will be out by the time i get here
umm think thats all...

plus i have all the school readins i gotta do...

SFEley:
I just finished Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions.  That book was insane.  Entertaining, but insane.

I'm now reading:

* Walter Wangerin's The Book of the Dun Cow (an excellent epic fantasy about barnyard animals)
* Frank Key's Befuddled by Cormorants (selected essays from Hooting Yard on the Air, one of my favorite podcasts)
* Agile Web Development With Rails, Second Edition
* Cascading Style Sheets for Dummies
* Batman: Child of Dreams (a sort of comic/manga crossover)
* an awful lot of short fiction, some of which we'll buy for Escape Pod or Pseudopod >8->

spycer:
Aas always, I'm in the middle of 3 or 9 diffrent books, but the one that I've been sticking to lately has been Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming by Rodger Zelazny (of Amber fame) and Robert Sheckley.  So far it's well writen, entertaining, and most of all FUN.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version