Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 850526 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2275 on: March 05, 2013, 01:01:11 PM
Austin Grossman, Soon I Will Be Invincible

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2276 on: March 05, 2013, 01:51:28 PM
Gail Carriger Changeless book two of the parasol protectorate.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #2277 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:02 AM
Chasm City by Alasdair Reynolds.  So far, I'm loving it.  The "realistic" space travel, space elevators, colonization, and relativistic problems are so juicy to my brain, it reminds me of the big fat tomes of the past, and their chewy, dense, thoroughly enjoyable(to me) stories.  Books like Gateway and the Foundation series.  Apparently, I like literary bread pudding.   ???

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2278 on: March 06, 2013, 12:40:43 AM
Oh, man. I love Chasm City so so much.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2279 on: March 06, 2013, 03:25:58 AM
still working on changeless, but picked up Stray Souls by Kate Griffin, and Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2280 on: March 06, 2013, 01:07:08 PM
About to start the Wheel of Time series, reading along with a friend of mine (we've never read any of them).

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2281 on: March 06, 2013, 03:42:34 PM
Chasm City by Alasdair Reynolds.  So far, I'm loving it.  The "realistic" space travel, space elevators, colonization, and relativistic problems are so juicy to my brain, it reminds me of the big fat tomes of the past, and their chewy, dense, thoroughly enjoyable(to me) stories.  Books like Gateway and the Foundation series.  Apparently, I like literary bread pudding.   ???

Yes! This was my first Alasdair Reynolds book, and I agree that it's fantastic! :)

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2282 on: March 25, 2013, 09:42:11 PM
Finished Sacre Bleu and Gil's All Fright Diner.

Sacre Bleu was quite good.  It had all the elements of humor that I am used to with Christopher Moore, while having some horror story elements as well. 

Gil's all fright diner was a quick read.  Humor, elements of horror.  Almost a YA novel, but I would say it's for late teens at best due to language and sexual elements.

Ivy Wood

• Matross
Reply #2283 on: March 26, 2013, 01:55:48 AM
I am simultaneously reading Davis Grubb's "Night of the Hunter" from the local library, and on my Kindle, "The Mail Order Serial Killer: The Life & Death of Harry Powers" by Vance McLaughlin.

It is fascinating to compare how Grubb created the fictional preacher Harry Powell from the real-life monster Herman Drenth (alias Harry Powers). I would love to own a copy of "Hunter", but my God, out of print and over $200 clams!! :o

I'm seriously considering buying the deluxe edition that will be soon released. It'll be around $75, but Grubb is one of my favorite authors, so I'll probably buy it. The McLaughlin book is very thorough, with great photos and many, many transcripts of Power's actual letters to his victims. I'm fascinated with both books!

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." :)

Scumpup

• Peltast
Reply #2284 on: March 26, 2013, 10:47:23 PM
"A Son of the Gods and A Horseman in the Sky" by Ambrose Bierce. 

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2285 on: March 27, 2013, 12:39:57 PM
Dark Currents (Agent of Hel #1) by Jacqueline Carey.  Urban fantasy/police.  It's starting off pretty slow, right now I would say it's going to get 2 out of 5 stars on the Goodreads.com scale.  I also picked up The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell.  Anyone have any recommendations for decent urban fantasy?  I like a good mystery story too, which is part of why I chose Dark Currents.  I queued up some books in my interlibrary loan stuff.  I have exhausted most of what's on my to read list at my local library, and their wifi was down for me to check on some of the other stuff.  I love being able to access my goodreads to read list when I go, cause I can check my list against the stacks while I am there.

WalkingVigil

• Extern
Reply #2286 on: April 06, 2013, 05:54:38 AM
Got a copy of "Chicks in Chainmail" a couple of months ago and decided to crack it open. On the older side, but it's a fun little anthology of short stories, and containing one of the few published fiction works of a friend of mine.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2287 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:40 PM
Blameless, and The Griff a graphic novel by Christopher Moore.  I also have Perdido Street Station on order for interlibrary loan.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2288 on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:33 PM
no perdido street station yet  >:(
Currently reading Aunt Dimnity's Death.  If you like space dinosaurs taking over earth, but without much exploration/explanation as to why etc.  Pick up The Griff Graphic Novell, by Christopher Moore.  I read it in a couple hours including a break for dinner, so is definitely light reading but then again it is a graphic novel.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2289 on: April 10, 2013, 01:26:39 PM
I'm not quite halfway through Feast for Crows, the fourth GoT book. Yeah, I've been really patient in between books in order to try and minimize the wait time once I've caught up (I read book three fully two years ago). So far, it looks like this is the slow one of the bunch.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2290 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:27 PM
I'm not quite halfway through Feast for Crows, the fourth GoT book. Yeah, I've been really patient in between books in order to try and minimize the wait time once I've caught up (I read book three fully two years ago). So far, it looks like this is the slow one of the bunch.

I've been holding off as well...will probably read that one later this year or early next. (Yeah, that's what my TBR pile looks like.) FWIW, I've heard from people who were initially furious with this book, that when they revisited after Dance with Dragons came out, they enjoyed much, much more.

I'll probably mess myself up by listening to both of those back to back or something, and then be stuck waiting with everyone else.

Listening the the final installment of Scalzi's The Human Division. Would be interested to hear from people who held off for the whole book whether the seams show worse (I suspect they do). It's not my favorite Scalzi book, but it's fun.

Also listening to Owen King's debut novel Double Feature, which (thus far) isn't SF/F/H at all and has made me laugh aloud numerous times. I appreciate that.

eytanz

Reply #2291 on: April 10, 2013, 10:45:22 PM
Listening the the final installment of Scalzi's The Human Division. Would be interested to hear from people who held off for the whole book whether the seams show worse (I suspect they do). It's not my favorite Scalzi book, but it's fun.

I'll let you know when I get it - I decided against the serial installments but I plan on getting this once it's in stores here in the UK.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2292 on: April 10, 2013, 11:39:29 PM
Sweet! We will compare notes :)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2293 on: April 11, 2013, 01:11:39 PM

I've been holding off as well...will probably read that one later this year or early next. (Yeah, that's what my TBR pile looks like.) FWIW, I've heard from people who were initially furious with this book, that when they revisited after Dance with Dragons came out, they enjoyed much, much more.

I'll probably mess myself up by listening to both of those back to back or something, and then be stuck waiting with everyone else.

I've heard the same, though to be honest my reaction is more along the lines of "blah, nothing is happening" than furious "where are my favorites?!?" because I was forewarned. I'm expecting that I too will mess myself up and read the fifth book by the end of the year. :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2294 on: April 16, 2013, 08:28:23 PM

I've heard the same, though to be honest my reaction is more along the lines of "blah, nothing is happening" than furious "where are my favorites?!?" because I was forewarned. I'm expecting that I too will mess myself up and read the fifth book by the end of the year. :)

We'll see who breaks first, I guess :)

I just finished listening to Owen King's Double Feature. Kind of a mainstream comedy about a hapless college filmmaker. It's pretty funny, I laughed quite a bit. Not sure I'll ever reread it, but I enjoyed it. If you like books about movies, filmmaking, etc., it's highly enjoyable. Not quite Get Shorty levels of enjoyment, but still lots of fun.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2295 on: April 17, 2013, 02:07:06 AM
Just finished Written in Red by anne bishop  Urban fantasy, without being a romance novel with monsters.  Just had four books come in from interlibrary loan

Scribblor

• Extern
    • My blog
Reply #2296 on: April 30, 2013, 12:43:42 PM
I'm about three quarters of the way through Blue Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm finding it a bit dull at the moment, but I'm not really sure why. Perhaps because a new character has been introduced that I don't much like. I raced through the first two books, but this one seems to be dragging.

I'm also slowly going through a few copies of Interzone I haven't read yet, and several DailySF emails.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2297 on: May 01, 2013, 12:20:25 AM
Reading Heartless book 4 of the Parasol Protectorate.  I also have The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson and A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin.  Trying to decide if I am giving up on Perdido Street Station.  I hate giving up on books, but just not getting into it, and had too many interloan library books come in at once so trying to get everything read before due dates.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2298 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:12 PM
Giving up on books is tough for me too. I wish I was better at it.

I'm listening to N0S4A2 by Joe Hill. It's the longest thing he's written thus far (novel-wise), and I'm only maybe a quarter of the way through it, but yeah - it's got that Joe Hill magic. Trying to decide if I want to burn through it AS FAST AS I CAN, or if I want to just savor it for all it's worth. Kate Mulgrew does the reading, and she's fantastic - I hope she does more audiobooks.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2299 on: May 02, 2013, 12:06:40 AM
Finally going through the second half of the Harry Potter series. Read up to book 4 while they were coming out, but then got too caught up in life to read. Now with audiobooks, I can listen while I do other things, so I am catching up. I confess, I am enjoying them, but not gaga over them.