Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845497 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2300 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:26 PM
Finally going through the second half of the Harry Potter series. Read up to book 4 while they were coming out, but then got too caught up in life to read. Now with audiobooks, I can listen while I do other things, so I am catching up. I confess, I am enjoying them, but not gaga over them.

Unfortunately, once you get past Book Five, they really go downhill. Book Six is very disjointed and is more a bunch of infodumping about Voldemort, and Book Seven is "Harry, Ron, and Hermione go camping and dither around a lot for 400 pages while everyone else is actually DOING STUFF".

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2301 on: May 07, 2013, 12:54:13 PM
Finally going through the second half of the Harry Potter series. Read up to book 4 while they were coming out, but then got too caught up in life to read. Now with audiobooks, I can listen while I do other things, so I am catching up. I confess, I am enjoying them, but not gaga over them.

Unfortunately, once you get past Book Five, they really go downhill. Book Six is very disjointed and is more a bunch of infodumping about Voldemort, and Book Seven is "Harry, Ron, and Hermione go camping and dither around a lot for 400 pages while everyone else is actually DOING STUFF".

I quite enjoyed the last two books, actually. Of course I was personally much more invested in the characters than the action. Book 7 could have been "Ron, Harry and Hermione clean their rooms" and I probably would have liked it. :)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2302 on: May 07, 2013, 02:53:22 PM
Currently Reading A Madness of Angels or the resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin

Library books to read:
Perdido Street Station China Mieville
The Skin Map book 1 of Bright Empires series by Stephen Lawhead

Library books on request:
Timeless Parasol Protectorate book 5 by Gail Carriger

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2303 on: May 13, 2013, 05:07:21 AM
So I'm somewhat reading The Hunger Games.  It's ... ehh ... so far, IMO, and I went ahead and watched the movie... if that's where the book is going, I'm not all that sure I care.  Is it more graphic than the movie was?  Because honestly that was the most boring take on children killing each other.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2304 on: May 13, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
So I'm somewhat reading The Hunger Games.  It's ... ehh ... so far, IMO, and I went ahead and watched the movie... if that's where the book is going, I'm not all that sure I care.  Is it more graphic than the movie was?  Because honestly that was the most boring take on children killing each other.

The short answer is that yes, the book is IMHO both more suspenseful and more graphic than the movie. All in all though, the books are "fine" but I'm not at all sure why they became such a phenom. But ymmv.

eytanz

Reply #2305 on: May 13, 2013, 04:57:10 PM
I lasted about halfway into the Hunger Games - I think I got to them too late, as I was already saturated enough from mass media exposure that the books just felt really familiar to me as I read them, which is the wrong mindset to approach them with.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2306 on: May 13, 2013, 05:01:24 PM
I enjoyed them. Quick, easy reads, lots of action, interesting world building, valiant heroine overcoming Evil at personal cost. Popcorn reading, basically.
Haven't seen the movie, not sure I'm going to bother.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2307 on: May 16, 2013, 12:52:21 AM
Currently Reading A Madness of Angels or the resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin

Library books to read:
Perdido Street Station China Mieville
The Skin Map book 1 of Bright Empires series by Stephen Lawhead

Library books on request:
Timeless Parasol Protectorate book 5 by Gail Carriger

Really enjoyed A Madness of Angels, it really reminded me of neverwhere.  If you liked neverwhere, I think you will enjoy this book.  I also really dig Urban Fantasy that is not a thinly disguised romance novel.    While it is not as pun filled as neverwhere, many elements of the city are included including The Beggar King, The Bag Lady, St George's Dragon. 

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #2308 on: May 17, 2013, 12:42:11 PM
Rereading "Watchmen". Because I can.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2309 on: May 18, 2013, 02:27:52 PM
lucky bastard, mine was stored in a friends basement that flooded :(

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #2310 on: May 20, 2013, 12:26:51 PM
lucky bastard, mine was stored in a friends basement that flooded :(

Amazon had the digital version on sale for $4, so I grabbed a copy. I do have the print version as well, but I tend not to read printed books anymore because I always have my device with me for unexpected delays but I don't always have a book.

Cynandre

• Palmer
  • I May be Addicted to Words...
    • Cynandre
Reply #2311 on: May 30, 2013, 06:16:49 PM
~This List can change at the last moment.~

Reading::

My Life as a White Trash Zombie, Diana Rowland

Dead Reckoning, Charlaine Harris  

In the Pile::

Deadlocked -
Dead Ever After, Charlaine Harris

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1 -
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 2, Arthur Conan Doyle

Peter Pan ~The White Bird, J.M. Barrie

The Art of War, Sun Tzu

Inheritance, Christopher Paolini

The Lost Hero, Rick Riordan

Hoping To Get::

The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman

Doctor Sleep, Stephen King

From Hell With Love, Simon R. Green

The Son of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs

Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke, Philip Jose Farmer

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:49:07 PM by Cynandre »

Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2312 on: May 30, 2013, 07:49:47 PM
Garage sale find, 50ยข copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
in the pile Spellwright by Blake Charlton

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #2313 on: May 31, 2013, 12:35:22 AM

The Art of War, Sun Tzu

I have a weird fascination with Sun Tzu.  I re-read it every few years, often in different editions.  Which one do you have?

I've learned over time that I like any of the stories in the voluminous commentary as well or better than the aphorisms of the original text.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Cynandre

• Palmer
    • Cynandre
Reply #2314 on: June 01, 2013, 03:29:36 PM
Barnes and Nobles Signature Edition.
Translation : Lionel Giles

I had seen a version being sold that resembled an old Manuscript, but then I would have been Book Hoarding since I had brought the first copy days before.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2315 on: June 03, 2013, 06:44:36 PM
I am reading the Harry Potter series for the first time now, started around new year but got distracted with work, my marriage etc., so I am now in Book 5. Liking it so far.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #2316 on: June 04, 2013, 02:04:53 AM
Barnes and Nobles Signature Edition.
Translation : Lionel Giles

I had seen a version being sold that resembled an old Manuscript, but then I would have been Book Hoarding since I had brought the first copy days before.

I got the Border's version of what sounds like the same thing, bought as the local branch was going out of business.  I haven't read that one, yet, and I gave up my Griffith translation when I bought this one.  (I understand about book hoarding.) I hope that wasn't a mistake.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

schizoTypal

• Palmer
    • First Flight Simulators, Ltd.
Reply #2317 on: June 04, 2013, 06:50:57 AM
For a Coursera course on Fantasy and Science Fiction (very tough class actually), I'm reading the Home and Children's Stories of Bros. Grimm. It's absolutely Terrible! I mean awful stuff.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #2318 on: June 07, 2013, 07:13:15 PM
Just finished Devouring the delightful Shambling Guide to New York City by her Majesty Mur. I'd reserved it for Kindle some time back, and ALMOST forgot that It had fallen into my download feed until my kindle decided to die on me right before a painfully long car trip. Luckily I have a kindle app on my phone and between it and my computer I was able to eat the book. I'm currently waiting to replace the Kindle with something slightly sturdier before reading anything new. Re-reading the Dresdon files with my husband while I wait.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #2319 on: June 08, 2013, 04:20:05 AM
Currently reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

My very first piece of historical literature that wasn't a text book and I am thoroughly enjoying myself.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2320 on: June 08, 2013, 01:18:23 PM
Finished Spellwright and started it's sequel Spellbound.  It's not YA but it's easy reading, and really haven't found anything worse than the latter Harry Potter books in it.  the name Spellwright is a pun as it's basically about a dyslexic wizard, with an interesting take on magic, in that the spells are "written" in the wizards muscles as needed and then cast.  I think it would be good for any teen with dyslexia.  The author had problems until he was a teen and started sneaking fantasy books into his special ed classes to read.  Gives hope that it can be overcome.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #2321 on: June 10, 2013, 02:18:47 AM
Finished Spellwright and started it's sequel Spellbound.  It's not YA but it's easy reading, and really haven't found anything worse than the latter Harry Potter books in it.  the name Spellwright is a pun as it's basically about a dyslexic wizard, with an interesting take on magic, in that the spells are "written" in the wizards muscles as needed and then cast.  I think it would be good for any teen with dyslexia.  The author had problems until he was a teen and started sneaking fantasy books into his special ed classes to read.  Gives hope that it can be overcome.

I enjoyed both books and am periodically checking back to see if the third has come out yet. :)

Cynandre

• Palmer
    • Cynandre
Reply #2322 on: June 10, 2013, 05:27:04 PM

Those books sound interesting. I might check them out. Thanks. :)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2323 on: June 21, 2013, 04:36:00 AM

I quite enjoyed the last two books, actually. Of course I was personally much more invested in the characters than the action. Book 7 could have been "Ron, Harry and Hermione clean their rooms" and I probably would have liked it. :)

So, I finally finished all 7 Harry Potter books, and have to agree with both Listener and Talia. As listener says, very little actually happens in book 6,  and 7 really is the 3 main characters go camping. However, like Talia, I also enjoyed those books because of the characters (after 5 books, you must be at least somewhat invested in them if you are still reading ;) ). But in the end, the character driven books were not enough and I was left somehow unsatisfied at the end. Would I still recommend them? Yes. But they are just a fun read, not great works of fiction IMHO.

mimcmullen

• Extern
    • Michael McMullen Blog
Reply #2324 on: June 21, 2013, 05:23:30 AM
I'm currently working through two short story compilations.

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft - Even though I've been interested in his work for years, I have never taken the time to really sit down with his stories until now. I'm enjoying every minute of my time with it.

Ten Tales for Tweens - It's a collection of ten "fantastic short stories aimed at middle grade readers". That's the age I really started getting into SF and horror, so it's been fun to revisit those genres from that perspective. I want to get a copy for my cousin who actually is the target age. :)

Be sure to check out my new short story collection, The Stonemason and Other Tales, available through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EEN73T0