Escape Artists
December 16, 2017, 09:58:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 134
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 431980 times)
lowky
Hipparch

from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142

« Reply #2320 on: June 08, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »

Finished Spellwright and started it's sequel Spellbound.  It's not YA but it's easy reading, and really haven't found anything worse than the latter Harry Potter books in it.  the name Spellwright is a pun as it's basically about a dyslexic wizard, with an interesting take on magic, in that the spells are "written" in the wizards muscles as needed and then cast.  I think it would be good for any teen with dyslexia.  The author had problems until he was a teen and started sneaking fantasy books into his special ed classes to read.  Gives hope that it can be overcome.

Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #2321 on: June 09, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »

Finished Spellwright and started it's sequel Spellbound.  It's not YA but it's easy reading, and really haven't found anything worse than the latter Harry Potter books in it.  the name Spellwright is a pun as it's basically about a dyslexic wizard, with an interesting take on magic, in that the spells are "written" in the wizards muscles as needed and then cast.  I think it would be good for any teen with dyslexia.  The author had problems until he was a teen and started sneaking fantasy books into his special ed classes to read.  Gives hope that it can be overcome.

I enjoyed both books and am periodically checking back to see if the third has come out yet. Smiley
Cynandre
Palmer

I May be Addicted to Words...

« Reply #2322 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »

Those books sound interesting. I might check them out. Thanks. Smiley

Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #2323 on: June 20, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »

Finally going through the second half of the Harry Potter series. Read up to book 4 while they were coming out, but then got too caught up in life to read. Now with audiobooks, I can listen while I do other things, so I am catching up. I confess, I am enjoying them, but not gaga over them.

Unfortunately, once you get past Book Five, they really go downhill. Book Six is very disjointed and is more a bunch of infodumping about Voldemort, and Book Seven is "Harry, Ron, and Hermione go camping and dither around a lot for 400 pages while everyone else is actually DOING STUFF".

I quite enjoyed the last two books, actually. Of course I was personally much more invested in the characters than the action. Book 7 could have been "Ron, Harry and Hermione clean their rooms" and I probably would have liked it. Smiley

So, I finally finished all 7 Harry Potter books, and have to agree with both Listener and Talia. As listener says, very little actually happens in book 6,  and 7 really is the 3 main characters go camping. However, like Talia, I also enjoyed those books because of the characters (after 5 books, you must be at least somewhat invested in them if you are still reading Wink ). But in the end, the character driven books were not enough and I was left somehow unsatisfied at the end. Would I still recommend them? Yes. But they are just a fun read, not great works of fiction IMHO.
mimcmullen
Extern

« Reply #2324 on: June 21, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »

I'm currently working through two short story compilations.

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft - Even though I've been interested in his work for years, I have never taken the time to really sit down with his stories until now. I'm enjoying every minute of my time with it.

Ten Tales for Tweens - It's a collection of ten "fantastic short stories aimed at middle grade readers". That's the age I really started getting into SF and horror, so it's been fun to revisit those genres from that perspective. I want to get a copy for my cousin who actually is the target age. Smiley

Be sure to check out my new short story collection, The Stonemason and Other Tales, available through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EEN73T0
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #2325 on: June 22, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »

I'm currently working through two short story compilations.

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft - Even though I've been interested in his work for years, I have never taken the time to really sit down with his stories until now. I'm enjoying every minute of my time with it.

You might enjoy also listening to the H P Lovecraft Literary Podcast (hppodcraft.com) while you work your way through. Let them read the terrible stories so you don't have to.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #2326 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »

FINALLY finished the first Wheel of Time book. I may read the second... next year sometime.

Currently blazing my way through Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #2327 on: August 05, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »

Jut finished devouring Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed (literally, I read it in two days). Yay! It's so good! Makes me so happy. Smiley
Moritz
Lochage

« Reply #2328 on: August 05, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »

Currently blazing my way through Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Read this one this weekend as a reward for finishing beta-reading a novel the weekend before.
lowky
Hipparch

« Reply #2329 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »

Reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.  Really enjoying it.  Reminds me of the good parts of a Stephen King novel.  Especially the King/Straub collaboration The Talisman

*edit*
having just finished it, and reading his acknowledgements where he mentioned his mother Tabitha King, I looked on line and discovered that he is the son of Tabitha and Stephen King.  Didn't know it going in, but it sure explains why it reminded me of Stephen King.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:35:19 PM by lowky » Logged

Procyon
Palmer

« Reply #2330 on: August 07, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »

Just finished "Kraken" by China MiĆ©ville.  It was the first novel I've read by him, and I have to say I don't really know what to think.  I suppose I liked the beginning and the ending, but the middle felt really draggy.  I also felt like I was missing a dimension to the story & characters because I'm not English -- whether it's true or not is anyone's guess.  The result was I didn't really like any of the characters.  But the main reason I picked it up in the first place was out of a love of deep-sea monsters, benthic titan gods slumbering in trenches, and I suppose I must admit it did scratch that particular itch.  Though I'm not sure I would have had the momentum to propel me through a similarly written book not concerning a subject I didn't already like (if that makes any sense).
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #2331 on: August 08, 2013, 12:14:36 AM »

Maybe perhaps slightly re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.  I say maybe because I might not be able to find time to squeeze it in.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #2332 on: August 08, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »

Reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.  Really enjoying it.  Reminds me of the good parts of a Stephen King novel.  Especially the King/Straub collaboration The Talisman

*edit*
having just finished it, and reading his acknowledgements where he mentioned his mother Tabitha King, I looked on line and discovered that he is the son of Tabitha and Stephen King.  Didn't know it going in, but it sure explains why it reminded me of Stephen King.

I cannot recommend checking out Heart-Shaped Box as well as his comic book series Locke & Key enough. Oh, his short story collection 20th Century Ghosts is one of my favorite single author collections, too. (I haven't read Horns yet, but am pretty excited about it.)

NOS4A2 I mostly liked, but there were some aspects of the end that frustrated me. I listened to it in audio, and Kate Mulgrew (Janeaway) read it, and gave an incredible performance.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #2333 on: August 08, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »

Let's see, been a while, but recently I've read/listened to:

1) The Ocean at the End of the Lane (excellent)
2) The Log from the Sea of Cortez (good, if you like John Steinbeck and/or marine biology)
3) Promise of Blood (not my favorite, but I can see it's appeal)
4) Broken Mirrors and Grim Tides (way more fun than I thought possible)

I think Gaiman actually had the deck stacked against him this time - it'd been nearly 10 years since Anansi Boys, and 5 years since the Graveyard Book, and he's been so successful that it wouldn't have surprised me if the backlash started to spread. But this book really surprised me, and felt unlike any of his other books. It's incredibly personal, and the restraint he shows in the writing is incredible. It's a short book, and it's the perfect length for the story he's telling.

I've been doing my reading mostly through audiobooks as of late, and have been reviewing them over at the AudioBookaneers, if you're interested in reading more of my in depth reviews, you can check them out there Smiley If not - I'm sure I'll keep posting sporadically in here!

Next up, I'm gonna check out The Cuckoo's Calling and Robert Jackson Bennett's American Elsewhere. (The Troupe was one of my favorite books of last year, hands-down.)

Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #2334 on: August 08, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

(I haven't read Horns yet, but am pretty excited about it.)

"Horns" was effing brilliant, just delightfully wry and cynical and twisted, but never quite devolving into nihilism or unalloyed misanthropy.  Right at the sweet spot for me.  Also completely hilarious.  Not really horror at all, if you ask me, but I might have a skewed perspective.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
lowky
Hipparch

« Reply #2335 on: August 08, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »

Just picked up Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb book two of The Rain Wilds Chronicles from the Library.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #2336 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »

Just finished listening to Robert Galbraith's (aka J.K. Rowling) new mystery The Cuckoo's Calling. It's a detective story where the case is pretty much made by the interviews, and the victim is brought to life by a lot of conflicting perspectives from friends and family. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and hope she cranks out another soon.

lowky
Hipparch

« Reply #2337 on: August 28, 2013, 09:26:16 AM »

Reading Dragon City book three in the Rain Wilds Chronicles.

Cynandre
Palmer

I May be Addicted to Words...

« Reply #2338 on: September 30, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »

Nothing. My Books are all packed away for Our Move. Sad

10/7/2013 Reading Doctor Sleep.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:46:38 PM by Cynandre » Logged

Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
lowky
Hipparch

« Reply #2339 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »

Just finished Blood of Dragons book four in the rain Wilds Chronicles  by Robin Hobb. 
Now Reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym for J.K. Rowling).

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 134
  Print  

Jump to: