Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845547 times)

Startrekwiki

Reply #100 on: May 11, 2007, 09:49:12 PM
Right now, I have started "SPACE", by James A. Michener.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #101 on: May 11, 2007, 09:52:41 PM
Almost finished with Scalzi's Old Man's War.  I'm also reading Anne Lamott's Grace, Eventually.  My wife loves her and so I finally decided to read one of her non-fiction pieces.  It's pretty entertaining so far. 

Zathras

Reply #102 on: May 14, 2007, 07:02:27 PM
"Terraforming Earth" by Jack Williamson

On deck: "The First Immortal" by Halperin

In the hole: "Across Realtime" by Vinge

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #103 on: May 14, 2007, 07:17:31 PM
"Silence of the Lambs" by Thomas Harris. I'm reading it more to see how the movie diverged from the book, but that doesn't take any wind out the great movie.

In my heavy rotation pile is "Fitzpatricks War" by Theodore Judson. I have a B & N gift card i''ve been itching to use on some paperbacks.  I'm just waiting for them to have a sale.

Diabetic in Candyland -
Stories about Winning at Losing and Failing Successfully.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #104 on: May 15, 2007, 03:43:55 PM
"Terraforming Earth" by Jack Williamson

On deck: "The First Immortal" by Halperin

In the hole: "Across Realtime" by Vinge

I couldn't get into "Terraforming Earth".  Don't know why.

Just finished reading all the Harry Potters again.  Now rereading "Good Omens" for like the 20th time.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #105 on: May 15, 2007, 04:13:00 PM
Just finished reading all the Harry Potters again.

I'm so insanely jealous.  I wanted to read them all again before the new one came out.  I think I'll end up settling for rereading just the last two.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #106 on: May 15, 2007, 06:29:03 PM
"An Excellent Mystery" by Ellis Peters.  About as far from sf and fantasy as you can get!

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #107 on: May 15, 2007, 09:10:16 PM
Just finished reading all the Harry Potters again.

I'm so insanely jealous.  I wanted to read them all again before the new one came out.  I think I'll end up settling for rereading just the last two.

Here's a summary for you:

HP:SS - Harry finds out he's a wizard, plays Quidditch, dislikes Snape, defeats Voldemort.
HP:CS - Harry meets Dobby, discovers Lockhart's an idiot, speaks Parseltongue, defeats Voldemort, ticks off Malfoy Sr.
HP:PA - Harry finds out that the person who supposedly killed his parents really didn't kill his parents but is actually his godfather.  Also, Hermione hits Malfoy Jr.
HP:GF - Harry does a lot of difficult things before escaping Voldemort.

And now, the last two books, for those who are only watching the films, in ubersmall type:
HP:OP - Harry's scar hurts a lot.  He is tricked by Voldemort.  He faces off against Umbridge.  Sirius dies.  Harry is very emo.
HP:HBP - Harry accuses Snape and Malfoy of a lot.  Then Dumbledore dies.

That about covers it.

Russell Nash

Reply #108 on: June 03, 2007, 06:33:18 PM
And now, the last two books, for those who are only watching the films

Is any one actually just watching the movies??

I found the first movie incoherent and it just got worse from there.  The last film (Goblet) was just "selceted scenes of a book everyone has read".  I don't see how anyone who hadn't read the book could have followed it.

Russell Nash

Reply #109 on: June 03, 2007, 06:41:09 PM
I started reading the first Discworld book. I'm about 80 pages or so in (They just started the inn-sewer-rents fire) and it's a lot of fun.
I'm up to book five now. It's still a lot of fun.  He hasn't been beating me over the head with the same charactors and that keeps it fresh.
Say hi to Twoflower for me. :)

He said hi and mentioned something about you almost losing a hand trying to get into the luggage.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #110 on: June 04, 2007, 11:44:22 AM
I found the first movie incoherent and it just got worse from there.  The last film (Goblet) was just "selceted scenes of a book everyone has read".  I don't see how anyone who hadn't read the book could have followed it.

I had exactly the opposite experience.  I read the first book then saw the first movie.  The movie seemed so much like the book that I got too lazy to read books 2,3 and 4, despite people telling me that with each movie more and more things get left out.  I broke that trend and read books 5 and 6 a month or so ago.   Reading book 5, I could tell that there was back story that I had missed out on, but I had no problem following the book.  Someday, I'll go back and read them all.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #111 on: June 04, 2007, 03:55:41 PM
Finished Vellum.  May comment further in that thread.

Read Maker, the Star Trek novel by Michael Jan Friedman.  As usual, Friedman's writing is enjoyable and the story engrossing enough to hold my attention, but it seems like he's phoning it in these days.  The book was good, but not as good as Reunion or Double, Double.

Now reading Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliott Perlman.  Not SF.  Also not the first book with that title.  So far, lots of good passages, but it's hard to read sometimes because some of the paragraph chains are LONG.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #112 on: June 04, 2007, 04:28:21 PM

Funny, I had the opposite reaction.  I didn't like the first movie either but I feel like they're getting consistently better.  (Although they still haven't made one that holds a candle to the books.)

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #113 on: June 04, 2007, 04:39:21 PM

Funny, I had the opposite reaction.  I didn't like the first movie either but I feel like they're getting consistently better.  (Although they still haven't made one that holds a candle to the books.)

Goblet was my least-favorite of the films, but I think it's almost tied with Stone as having the best music.  I mean, there's nothing that can stand up to John Williams's original HP score, but Patrick Doyle did some beautiful things with the music for Goblet.  I wish he'd have come back for Phoenix, but whoever Norman Hooper is, I'm hoping he does well also.

I know this is OT, but would it not be the most awesome thing ever if Nobuo Uematsu could be convinced to score the seventh film?

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #114 on: June 20, 2007, 08:32:57 AM
Dead tree substrate books:
Finished Cell by Stephen King a little whole ago.
I was feeling nostalgic so I bought Larry Niven's Draco's Tavern and started on it. Mostly stories I've read 25-odd years ago, but there were a few I had not seen.
Next will probably be something by Harry Turtledove, possibly Conan of Venarium or one of his alternate histories.

Audio:
Listening to mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court from Librivox.org.
Next is probably Star Surgeon by Alan E. Nourse, also from Librivox.org

Recently recorded and uploaded chapter 1 of Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki, for Librivox.
Also finished recording (but still need to edit before upload) chapter 2 of Chronicles of Canada Volume 6 - THE GREAT INTENDANT A Chronicle of Jean Talon in Canada 1665-1672 by Thomas Chapais.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Simon

• Peltast
Reply #115 on: June 20, 2007, 09:21:21 AM
Currently I am hacking my way through this:

The Rediscovery Of Man by Cordwainer Smith.

I have to admit, i'm rather baffled by why I'm not enjoying it any more than somewhat.  It's beautifully written, classic 50's era SF, with some fantastic ideas and beautiful themes...  But for some reason I'm just not revelling in it. Maybe time for me to give up and get another SF classic off the shelf (I recently re-read both The System Of The World and The Mote In God's Eye)

Cheers

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #116 on: June 20, 2007, 03:20:03 PM
I have just picked up the first book of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.  So far I'm loving it.  It's an interesting take on a very old topic, wizards. 

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #117 on: June 20, 2007, 03:40:05 PM
I'm alternating between The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E Howard and The War-Hound and the World's Pain by Michael Moorcock, they're both most excellent ;D

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

"Save the Squonk!"

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #118 on: June 20, 2007, 03:47:30 PM
I just finished Peter Watts Blindsight last week, and it's my new evangelizing book (the one I try to get people to read, because it's that good).

And what do you know, it's about freewill.  And vampires.  And first contact.  And multiple personality disorders as a neural hack.  And language as a weapon.

Pretty much all things guaranteed to make me go "oooh, shiny!"

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #119 on: June 21, 2007, 01:06:08 AM
Ender's game

Russell Nash

Reply #120 on: June 21, 2007, 05:30:36 PM
I just finished the first five Discworld books and I'm starting Stephen King's Cell

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #121 on: June 22, 2007, 02:19:36 PM
I just finished rereading the Roger Stern novelization of the death of Superman.  I'm now reading a Japanese mystery novel called "Out".  It's pretty compelling so far.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #122 on: June 22, 2007, 02:34:44 PM
I just finished the first five Discworld books and I'm starting Stephen King's Cell
*L* Wow. With a change of gears like that, you're lucky you didn't drop your transmission. :)

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #123 on: June 22, 2007, 03:31:30 PM
*L* Wow. With a change of gears like that, you're lucky you didn't drop your transmission. :)

I can never just keep reading the same thing.  I think it runs in the family.  My cousin, Thomas Tryon wrote horror novels and historical romances.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #124 on: June 25, 2007, 03:13:58 PM
Finished "Out".  It was pretty good -- a lot of description, but I think maybe too many characters and too much scene-shifting.

Next I'm either going to read:

"The Green and the Grey" by Timothy Zahn
"From Russia With Lust" - a three-book collection, I forget the author, about a guy in the year 2652 in a world where the russian revolution never happened.  Apparently it's swords-and-sorcery.

Of course, when HP7 comes out, I'll be dropping everything for that.