Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845405 times)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2575 on: December 11, 2015, 01:25:09 AM
I'm reading The Fortress in Orion, which is possibly the Mike Resnick story with the lowest emotional impact ever. It's about an "impossible" heist, but I'm about 90% of the way through, and so far it seems to have actually been pretty easy. Literally every never-done-before challenge is achieved by them just walking up and doing the thing. It's not living up to my expectations of Resnick.

I'm also reading Chimera, the third of Mira Grant's Parasitology trilogy about tapeworm-zombies. That one is a lot of fun.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2576 on: December 29, 2015, 11:57:39 AM
So, I've resolved to actually write some book reviews over the next year, and I've set up whatiread.fyi as a place to hold them. There's a couple of things already on there, and I wouldn't object if people let me know what they think (of the content, of the layout, whatever). Thanks.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2577 on: December 29, 2015, 01:43:25 PM
Just finished Meta by Tom Reynolds (book 1 in the Meta Superhero series) about 3/4 of the way through Welcome to Night Vale, and next up is Wrayth by Phillippa Ballantine

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2578 on: December 31, 2015, 12:45:34 PM
So, I've resolved to actually write some book reviews over the next year, and I've set up whatiread.fyi as a place to hold them. There's a couple of things already on there, and I wouldn't object if people let me know what they think (of the content, of the layout, whatever). Thanks.

Layout looks fine, some of the sentences need cleaning up (I just read the Random review).

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #2579 on: December 31, 2015, 07:34:21 PM
If any of y'all are on Goodreads, I'm happy to accept friend requests there, and "like" your reviews. :)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2580 on: December 31, 2015, 09:15:24 PM
If any of y'all are on Goodreads, I'm happy to accept friend requests there, and "like" your reviews. :)
I think I friended you. Is this you?

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2581 on: January 01, 2016, 01:21:53 AM
My goodreads profile is in my signature.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2582 on: January 01, 2016, 03:18:18 PM

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2583 on: January 02, 2016, 12:38:01 AM

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #2584 on: January 02, 2016, 03:46:30 PM
I think I friended you. Is this you?

Yup!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2585 on: January 03, 2016, 04:48:13 PM
tangent: I try to stay away from amazon as much as possible. as far as I know goodreads is owned by them. Any good alternatives to post reading lists?

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2586 on: January 03, 2016, 07:33:33 PM
tangent: I try to stay away from amazon as much as possible. as far as I know goodreads is owned by them. Any good alternatives to post reading lists?

I'm not aware of any. Sadly, if you like supporting authors, the best way to do so is to leave reviews on sites like Goodreads. Yes, we're the content. But it takes someone with resources to build a framework to make us the content and point us at each other.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2587 on: January 13, 2016, 06:10:31 PM
STILL slogging through "Ancillary Justice". I'm enjoying it, but it's got really long chapters and I've been reading too late at night to get more than a few pages done a day. My own fault, I suppose.
I have to pick up the book. I tried the audiobook and I just could NOT listen to it, but I am very interested in the story.

I did end up finishing the audiobook of Ancillary Justice, just this past weekend, and ended up loving it.  As everyone else who has read it did  ;D  The stilted narration made perfect sense once I got the gist of what was going on. 

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2588 on: January 14, 2016, 01:15:45 PM
currently reading Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2589 on: January 14, 2016, 07:38:17 PM
Just finished Steal the Sky by Megan E. O'Keefe. It's a fun fantasy heist number, with some fairly solid world building. If you like magic airships, it's worth checking out.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2590 on: February 18, 2016, 02:10:58 AM
I'm currently reading:
Calamity by Brandon Sanderson, the third part of his trilogy about post-apocalyptic supervillain-hunters. Things are getting serious in this one.
The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris, a re-telling of Norse myth from Loki's point of view. It even includes my favourite story about the time Loki tied a rope to his testicles and had a tug of war with a goat as a wedding gift for Njörd and Skadi. That one gets left out of a lot of books.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2591 on: February 18, 2016, 06:04:05 AM
currently reading Free the Darkness[King's Dark Tidings book 1] by Kel Kade

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2592 on: February 19, 2016, 01:07:11 PM
Finished Neil Gaiman's Trigger Warning.
Fun read, good stories, but for me there's always a little bit of something missing for it to become "genius". (an issue I have with most Gaiman stories, except maybe Sandman)

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #2593 on: February 19, 2016, 07:16:53 PM
I just listened to Mike Bennett's Zombie Apocalypse podcast novella, After The Plague (Season 1), which is now available for free from Podiobooks and iTunes.

I'm not a big fan of Zombie stories, and I have to say that this one failed to wow me out of that, but I do like Bennett's touches of humour and the slightly rough and ready feel that comes from his habit of starting to podcast stories before he's finished writing them.

On the other hand, it was an entertaining couple of hours in its way, and I loved the note pinned to the corpse behind the reception desk in the hotel.

:-\

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #2594 on: February 20, 2016, 03:51:10 PM
Downloaded Ancillary Mercy from iBooks on Tuesday. Read it cover to cover in one session on Tuesday night with a glass or several of wine. Spent Wednesday recovering.

If this storyline stops at just these three books, there will be suicides! Ann Leckie does know that, doesn't she?

Interesting. When she spoke to the writer's workshop and ICON, she said she considers the series complete, although she might revisit the universe with different characters and situations. Meanwhile, she wants to do some different projects.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #2595 on: February 24, 2016, 04:19:26 AM
Downloaded Ancillary Mercy from iBooks on Tuesday. Read it cover to cover in one session on Tuesday night with a glass or several of wine. Spent Wednesday recovering.

If this storyline stops at just these three books, there will be suicides! Ann Leckie does know that, doesn't she?

Interesting. When she spoke to the writer's workshop and ICON, she said she considers the series complete, although she might revisit the universe with different characters and situations. Meanwhile, she wants to do some different projects.

...but please, no suicides! Those are bad!

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #2596 on: February 24, 2016, 02:04:18 PM

Yeaaaaahhh... I just have the feeling that Breq was on the verge of the biggest and most impressive thing she's ever done in all her long life,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and I would have liked to read about it. That's all.

Still... You can't tell the author what to write. Not unless she's totally broke, anyway. :D

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2597 on: February 24, 2016, 04:13:49 PM
Just started reading Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix.  It is supposed to be a Haunted House story set in a modern American Ikea competitor called Orsk. 

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2598 on: February 24, 2016, 07:08:33 PM
Just started reading Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix.  It is supposed to be a Haunted House story set in a modern American Ikea competitor called Orsk. 

That one's a lot of fun.

ebook or paper copy?

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2599 on: February 24, 2016, 08:24:38 PM

That one's a lot of fun.

ebook or paper copy?
Good old dead tree paper.  I love my kindle paperwhite, but it will never completely replace physical books.