Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845431 times)

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #300 on: January 22, 2008, 08:23:36 PM
I'm currently reading The World Without Us by Alan Weissman.  It's a pretty good book so far.  It's the story of what would happen if all humans suddenly disappeared.  I'm only through the first few chapters, but his description of how houses collapse over 50 years was pretty interesting.  Essentially everything will go back to nature over time.  I'm looking forward to the chapter about nuclear power plants.

Did you see the 2 hour show "Life After People" on the History Channel last night?  Not sure if it was based on this book or not.  The show was basically a chronological history of the world after people disappeared.   The power plant stuff was pretty cool.   They figured that Hoover Dam would be one of the last ones running.   It was a pretty good show.  They covered a lot of stuff I never thought of and there were some pretty good graphics.   For the "20 years after people" part they toured the city near Chernobyl, which has been sitting empty for 20 years now.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #301 on: January 22, 2008, 11:10:30 PM
Did you see the 2 hour show "Life After People" on the History Channel last night?  Not sure if it was based on this book or not.  The show was basically a chronological history of the world after people disappeared.   The power plant stuff was pretty cool.   They figured that Hoover Dam would be one of the last ones running.   It was a pretty good show.  They covered a lot of stuff I never thought of and there were some pretty good graphics.   For the "20 years after people" part they toured the city near Chernobyl, which has been sitting empty for 20 years now.   

It sounds a lot like Weissman's book.  I didn't catch it though.  I'll have to check for a torrent of it or something.  It sounds really interesting.
As for land around Chernobyl, everyone who has played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. knows that it's full of radioactive artifacts worth a fortune.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

shwankie

Reply #302 on: January 23, 2008, 02:51:06 AM
Chodon, we live without TV (intentionally...I know, we're freaks), so i haven't yet caught the "Life After People" show.  I did hear about it, though, and hope to catch it on one of our TV nights with friends (Sunday night was a documentary on Giant Squid!). It sounds heavily based on the book, and Weissman is not shy about letting folks use his material: Scientific American published about 15 pages of the book several months ago in an issue pretty much dedicated to his work.

The "20 years after" tour of Chernobyl is something I definitely want to catch! So far, I am really loving the book. Weissman's a font of weird and (usually) interesting facts, some of which take a while to make their relevance to the topic at hand known; and, that is the kind of thing I like. Sounds like the show has some of that, too. Can't wait to see it!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #303 on: January 23, 2008, 02:55:23 AM
Chodon, we live without TV (intentionally...I know, we're freaks)....

W00t!  We aren't alone!

Well, we don't have cable, anyway... soon that will amount to the same thing.

But, hey... all four of the kids have been early readers, so we must be doing something right, right?

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #304 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:08 AM
Chodon, we live without TV (intentionally...I know, we're freaks), so i haven't yet caught the "Life After People" show.  I did hear about it, though, and hope to catch it on one of our TV nights with friends (Sunday night was a documentary on Giant Squid!). It sounds heavily based on the book, and Weissman is not shy about letting folks use his material: Scientific American published about 15 pages of the book several months ago in an issue pretty much dedicated to his work.

The "20 years after" tour of Chernobyl is something I definitely want to catch! So far, I am really loving the book. Weissman's a font of weird and (usually) interesting facts, some of which take a while to make their relevance to the topic at hand known; and, that is the kind of thing I like. Sounds like the show has some of that, too. Can't wait to see it!
I found a torrent file for the show.  I'm not clear on the legality of such things, but if one were so inclined one could download it...if one were so inclined.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #305 on: January 23, 2008, 03:03:43 PM

During the History Channel show they were advertising DVD's of the show......so I would guess they might turn up for rental at video stores or someday on NetFlix if in the US (I don't see them on NetFlix yet).   My wife missed it also (and I didn't burn it-oops), she said that the History Channel often repeats their specials. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #306 on: January 23, 2008, 03:47:59 PM
TAD and Shwankie you are not alone when it comes to the no-TV thing.  My brother (The Outlaw Kyle) also lives without television.  I think it's a good thing for him, his wife, and daughter.   It increases family time and decreases arguments about what to watch.  However, whenever he comes to my house the TV calls to him in a dark language.  One that I dare not speak here.  It's a lot like the one ring drawing the Nazgul.  It's a terrifying sight to behold.

I am not strong enough to live without TV.  Sometimes I wish I were.  It would mean more time doing productive things, but it would also mean less time being entertained.  :-\

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #307 on: January 24, 2008, 12:32:59 PM
TAD and Shwankie you are not alone when it comes to the no-TV thing.  My brother (The Outlaw Kyle) also lives without television.  I think it's a good thing for him, his wife, and daughter.   It increases family time and decreases arguments about what to watch.  However, whenever he comes to my house the TV calls to him in a dark language.  One that I dare not speak here.  It's a lot like the one ring drawing the Nazgul.  It's a terrifying sight to behold.

I am not strong enough to live without TV.  Sometimes I wish I were.  It would mean more time doing productive things, but it would also mean less time being entertained.  :-\

When I met my lovely bride, I was a recovering TV-junkie; having just gone through 8 weeks of USAF basic training, most of the withdrawal symptoms had cleared up, and living in the dorms while attending the language school kept me away from the "drug".  But when we got married, and got a house, we discovered that she had an allergy to the boob tube.  Since her violent allergy to smoke had led to my kicking one bad habit already, I went along with kicking another... and we've never looked back.

Now, left to my own devices, I'll obsess about shows (I watched the entire first season of Heroes online in three days while she was in training for her current job) but being limited to DVD rentals helps a lot.  But I do hear the call of the Nazgul...so I stay away from it as much as possible.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #308 on: January 24, 2008, 02:01:23 PM
Reading Terry Pratchett's "Making Money" for the second time.  I tried to find my copy of "Stardust" last night, but I think it's been sold to a used bookstore.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #309 on: January 24, 2008, 06:16:34 PM
I usually am reading two things at once -- one at home, and one on my phone, like while stuck in traffic or in a waiting room or similar.  So, my phone thing right now is "Rainbow's End" by Vernor Vinge.

Found it online for free reading:
http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

I love smartphones.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #310 on: January 24, 2008, 09:06:57 PM
I started reading Brian K. Vaughan's comic The Escapists, which is based loosely on Michael Chabon's Kavalier and Clay.  It's really good, but what's most surprising about it (thus far) is how Vaughan was able to take some of the basic ideas, tone, and style, from Chabon's book, and translate it so well visually.  It's primarily about some kids who try to resurrect the comic book character the Escapist, not so much about Kavalier and Clay, but there's a fun short story by Chabon at the beginning where Sammy Clay meets a 10-year-old BKV. 

shwankie

Reply #311 on: January 25, 2008, 02:43:38 AM

I found a torrent file for the show.  I'm not clear on the legality of such things, but if one were so inclined one could download it...if one were so inclined.

Dubious legality given due consideration, one might be so inclined, and one appreciates the info  ;D Thanks! The DVD thing is also a good option, but I am not sure if I am that patient...

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #312 on: January 25, 2008, 02:46:00 AM
I usually am reading two things at once -- one at home, and one on my phone, like while stuck in traffic or in a waiting room or similar.  So, my phone thing right now is "Rainbow's End" by Vernor Vinge.

Found it online for free reading:
http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

I love smartphones.

Thanks for that link... Vinge is great, and I have actually not read that one, yet

Kurt Faler

• Palmer
Reply #313 on: January 25, 2008, 03:35:49 AM
So in the last week or so i finished up a couple more dresden files books (they are sorta like rice, they cleanse between spicier fair) as well as:

Coyote Frontier and Spindrift by Allen Steel. Not bad but not as strong as the first book of Coyote. Read them if you like Steel and have the time.

Sun of Suns and Queen of Candesce by Karl Schroeder. I really didnt care for the first book and only read about 20 pages at first. But I ran out of things
to read and went back to it and I'm happy I did. Once you get more details about the science involved its a lot easier to buy into it. Think postsingularity meets steampunk.

and speaking of singularity, Postsingular by Rudolf von Bitter Rucker (damnit with a name that cool why go by Rudy Rucker?). I loved Mathematicians in Love, but I think
this one just missed the mark. I didnt think it possible to go so far through science fiction that you come out the other side into fantasy. now, i know Clarkes third law, and I like fantasy,
but sometimes I dont want your chocolate in my peanut butter.

Simon

• Peltast
Reply #314 on: January 25, 2008, 09:02:19 AM
So I do seem to be continuing this crime fiction kick I've been on lately...

I just cracked my way through Guys And Dolls by Damon Runyon (an old favourite I dig out and re-read every 3 years or so...  The language is just among the most beautiful in American writing).

After that I've just opened The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon which I've barely started but is absolutely superb.

At the same time I've just finished re-reading the second half of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.  That book shocked me so much it annoyed me and I gave up the first time, but like everyone else I've spoken to, you think about it 2 weeks later and think "wow".  So I had to go and finish it off (despite it being utterly, utterly repulsive).

There's a lot to be said for this crime fiction genre when it's done well (although I don't know what genre you call Blood Meridian).

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #315 on: January 26, 2008, 02:29:11 AM
Just finished a reread of Gaiman's "American Gods".  There's a hell of a lot of peeing in that book.

Now reading the quasisequel, "Anansi Boys" (same author).  I realize that by Anansi saying something, it becomes true, at least in the minds of humans, but Gaiman saying "Fat Charlie" every time he refers to Charles Nancy gets a little annoying.  Still, an enjoyable book so far.  About halfway through.  This is my second reading.
I haven't actually read that book, but thanks to the public library I've heard the (excellently read by Lenny Henry) audio version.  I recommend it (the Henry audio) highly.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #316 on: January 26, 2008, 03:30:02 AM
Just finished a reread of Gaiman's "American Gods".  There's a hell of a lot of peeing in that book.

Now reading the quasisequel, "Anansi Boys" (same author).  I realize that by Anansi saying something, it becomes true, at least in the minds of humans, but Gaiman saying "Fat Charlie" every time he refers to Charles Nancy gets a little annoying.  Still, an enjoyable book so far.  About halfway through.  This is my second reading.

This might be a stretch, but... Paul Simon's Graceland album contains a song called "Crazy Love, Volume II", which starts with the verse:

Fat Charlie the Archangel
Sloped into the room
He said I have no opinion about this
And I have no opinion about that
Sad as a lonely little wrinkled balloon
He said well I don't claim to be happy about this, boys
And I don't seem to be happy about that
(chorus)
I don't want no part of this crazy love
I don't want no part of your love ...

Every time I read the name Fat Charlie, that song would start spinning up anew in my head, and I couldn't decide if Gaiman did it on purpose or not.  There was certainly a similarity between the Charlie Nancy we see at the beginning of the book and the one in the song, as I recall...

[Edit: fixed song title]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 01:30:27 PM by Tango Alpha Delta »

eytanz

Reply #317 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:14 AM
Hmmm... Never heard this song, but I can see the similarity. Still, I would guess it's a coincidence. Anyone feel like writing Gaiman and asking? That's the sort of question he always seems to answer on his blog.

I think the best medium for Anansi Boys is the audiobook. Lenny Henry does an awesome job reading it out, really fleshing out all the characters. And the writing style is really well suited for the story being told, as well as read.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #318 on: January 26, 2008, 01:44:41 PM
Hmmm... Never heard this song, but I can see the similarity. Still, I would guess it's a coincidence. Anyone feel like writing Gaiman and asking? That's the sort of question he always seems to answer on his blog.

Good thinking... I went to his site and submitted an "Ask Neil" email.  I'll post an answer, if I get one.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #319 on: January 26, 2008, 06:36:15 PM
I think the best medium for Anansi Boys is the audiobook. Lenny Henry does an awesome job reading it out, really fleshing out all the characters. And the writing style is really well suited for the story being told, as well as read.

Is it worth my time and effort to read a paper copy then? ;)

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #320 on: January 26, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
I just finished reading "Return from the River Kwai" by Joan and Clay Blair.

This true story had me in tears many times.  I think they made a film, I'll have to have a look for it.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #321 on: January 28, 2008, 07:47:30 PM

Is it worth my time and effort to read a paper copy then? ;)
I haven't heard the audio, but yes, I would definately recommend the book.  Loved it.

I just finished "Dune" again.  Brought back some memories, but it wasn't quite as good as I remembered.  Still, a masterpiece of the genre, to be sure.
Still re-reading "'Salem's Lot".  Great vintage King.  The guy has realy got a gift for language.
Just started "The Great Book of Amber," the Zelazny collection, all 10 novels in one book.
About a million years ago, someone lent me a copy of one of them, I think it was "The Hand of Oberon."  I hadn't read any of the others, and I hated it.  I only got about 30 pages in a took it back, but I keep hearing about how great his stuff is.  I guess I'll give it another try.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #322 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:19 PM
i just finished reading Breakfast of Champions - amazing
and The Reader for school... it was MEH... kinda pissed me off.

i WAS going to read Vurt next but i have a lot of philosophical reading for school to do. for a report thingy.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #323 on: January 29, 2008, 01:27:40 AM
Just started "The Great Book of Amber," the Zelazny collection, all 10 novels in one book.
About a million years ago, someone lent me a copy of one of them, I think it was "The Hand of Oberon."  I hadn't read any of the others, and I hated it.  I only got about 30 pages in a took it back, but I keep hearing about how great his stuff is.  I guess I'll give it another try.
If it was The Hand of Oberon, then the problem was most likely that you were starting with the fourth of a five-volume series.

Of course, there's also the matter of Corwin being, like most Zelazny protagonists, a self-serving SOB.

For myself, I'm still between books ... haven't found time to start The Great Adventure of the Dirty Pair yet.  I've been listening to Hutchins' Seventh Son: Descent during downtime at work  (Yes, I'm coming in late to this party; I waited until the third book was complete before starting, so that I wouldn't get to a point where I had to wait for the next installment.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:31:22 AM by stePH »

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #324 on: January 29, 2008, 03:57:30 PM
i just finished reading Breakfast of Champions - amazing
and The Reader for school... it was MEH... kinda pissed me off.

i WAS going to read Vurt next but i have a lot of philosophical reading for school to do. for a report thingy.

FWIW I did not enjoy Vurt.  It just didn't resonate with me.  None of the Jeff Noon books I read have done so.