Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845565 times)

Zathras

Reply #775 on: January 27, 2009, 02:01:43 AM
Thanks, stePH.  I'm going to print that up before I head to my used bookstore.  It'll probably be next week or so before I can go.  I might just have to go with what's on the shelves. 

I try to have some sort of guidelines before I go book shopping.  Otherwise I'll leave with 4 or 5 hundred dollars worth of books.  Ok, that's a bit of an exageration, but I can easily drop 2 C Notes.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #776 on: January 27, 2009, 03:40:30 AM
Thanks, stePH.  I'm going to print that up before I head to my used bookstore.  It'll probably be next week or so before I can go.  I might just have to go with what's on the shelves. 

I try to have some sort of guidelines before I go book shopping.  Otherwise I'll leave with 4 or 5 hundred dollars worth of books.  Ok, that's a bit of an exageration, but I can easily drop 2 C Notes.

Both Downbelow Station and Cyteen won Hugo awards, if that means anything to you.  (I think CJC's one other Hugo was for the short story "Cassandra".)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #777 on: January 27, 2009, 05:19:54 AM
My roommate and other friend read "Illusions" by Richard Bach (wrote Johnathan Livingston Seagull)

In elementary school, when most of my friends were Jewish, I knew a guy named Jonathan Levantson Siegel.  ;D

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #778 on: January 27, 2009, 11:55:31 AM
reading for homework currently- Intro to western Civ and "Sociology in a changing world"   not bad stuff, but can't wait until I've got "free" time

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #779 on: January 27, 2009, 04:59:13 PM
My roommate and other friend read "Illusions" by Richard Bach (wrote Johnathan Livingston Seagull)

In elementary school, when most of my friends were Jewish, I knew a guy named Jonathan Levantson Siegel.  ;D
o wow thats priceless

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #780 on: January 28, 2009, 01:02:37 AM

o wow thats priceless

The part about my friends in elementary school is true.

The part about Siegel isn't.   ;D

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #781 on: January 28, 2009, 01:20:45 PM
Finished "Equal Rites" (Pratchett) -- never been really satisfied with the way that one ended, as if it wrapped up WAY too fast.

Now on "Mort".
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:37:52 AM by Heradel »

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Russell Nash

Reply #782 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:18 PM
Finished "Equal Rites" (Pratchett) -- never been really satisfied with the way that one ended, as if it wrapped up WAY too fast.

Now on "Mort".

I really enjoy Pratchett's version of Death.  I love how he never quite gets it.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #783 on: January 28, 2009, 03:53:48 PM
I'm in the middle of M.R. James' "The Haunted Dolls' House and other stories which is splendidly wordy. Got to chose between The Shack or Chopin's Funeral next.

(re Discworld - is it a punishable offence to admit to getting bored with them  ??? )
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:36:05 AM by Heradel »

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #784 on: January 28, 2009, 03:57:43 PM
(re Discworld - is it a punishable offence to admit to getting bored with them  ??? )

I couldn't stand "The Color of Magic" and have no desire to read any other Discworld books.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:35:19 AM by Heradel »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #785 on: January 28, 2009, 06:27:37 PM

Now on "Mort".

I really enjoy Pratchett's version of Death.  I love how he never quite gets it.

His Death is really quite human in a abnormal personalities way. He actually (minus the demi-god status) reminds me of a friend of a friend who is really quite smart but incredibly stupid at human relationships ("Well, I though we'd discuss that multi-page letter where you castigate me for my emotional short-sightedness and explain how it's hurt our friendship next time we got together, that's why I never acknowledged receiving it. — — — Oh, you thought that meant that I hated you and never wanted to talk to me again? Where did you get that impression?").

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #786 on: January 28, 2009, 06:32:22 PM
I love Terry Pratchett's Death as well. To me he sort of summarises what the Discworld Universe is about... take all of the mystical forces, all of the accepted societal norms and throw them out of the window.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #787 on: January 28, 2009, 06:43:57 PM
I love Terry Pratchett's Death as well. To me he sort of summarises what the Discworld Universe is about... take all of the mystical forces, all of the accepted societal norms and throw them out of the window.

Reminds me of Dream in that sense as well, though Dream is actually capable of the change to human. Which isn't quite the right way to put it, since [spoiler spoiler spoiler] he has to be reborn for it to occur, but there's a fair amount of drift between those two authors. Which isn't surprising, considering Good Omens.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:33:22 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #788 on: January 28, 2009, 06:58:09 PM

I couldn't stand "The Color of Magic" and have no desire to read any other Discworld books.

Skip to Mort.  He really matured though out the series.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #789 on: January 28, 2009, 07:15:08 PM
Mort was probably the first excellent Terry Pratchett.

To Be Honest, I like the Sam Vimes books the best. I think he's an amazing character, and they have some good Pratchett philosophy in there. But I love the character he built up with Vimes.

Russell Nash

Reply #790 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:40 PM
What is really great about Pratchett was the number of great characters he has created.  He has this huge pool of well-defined personalities at his disposal.  He has a story based on Moist Lipwig and Vimes steps in for a few pages and brings Carrot, Detritus and Angua with him.  All folks we know really well.  He doesn't need to explain why any of them would do anything.  We already know. 

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #791 on: January 28, 2009, 09:25:58 PM
What is really great about Pratchett was the number of great characters he has created.  He has this huge pool of well-defined personalities at his disposal.  He has a story based on Moist Lipwig and Vimes steps in for a few pages and brings Carrot, Detritus and Angua with him.  All folks we know really well.  He doesn't need to explain why any of them would do anything.  We already know. 

Small Gods it will suck when he can't write anymore.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #792 on: January 30, 2009, 04:21:14 PM

No. No one likes everything.

I always recommend people start with "Moving Pictures" or "Men at Arms" -- Moving Pictures is where I started, and Men at Arms is just so hilariously good. I read it BEFORE I read Guards Guards and it still made sense, so that's a plus.

PS: now up to "Sourcery".
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:32:12 AM by Heradel »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #793 on: February 02, 2009, 05:00:44 AM
Finished Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk...
not his best but still damn good!

started Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:29:52 AM by Heradel »

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #794 on: February 02, 2009, 05:15:33 AM
Listened to The Graveyard Book today while I was taking advantage of the relatively warm day in Manhattan (slightly above freezing — Wooo!!1!). So I walked, with two camera and a iPod, and listened to it fairly nonstop. And it was good. Had to stop for a bit when I ran into the Chinese New Year and it got a bit too noisy. Good photos of that though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:27:57 AM by Heradel »

izzardfan

Reply #795 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:41 AM
started Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut
Oh, wow!  That was my first Vonnegut years ago, and I absolutely loved it.  Vonnegut is one of my favorites.  Have you read Welcome to the Monkey House yet?

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #796 on: February 02, 2009, 12:04:45 PM
Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:17:33 AM by Heradel »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #797 on: February 02, 2009, 06:35:35 PM
oh my! my books have been EPized!
havent read welcome to the monkey house yet, so far from him its been...
Slaughterhouse Five
Sirens of Titan
Breakfast of Champions
aaand...
i think thats it... yea thats it
Cats Cradle now.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:19:00 AM by Heradel »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir

izzardfan

Reply #799 on: February 03, 2009, 01:14:04 AM
oh my! my books have been EPized!
havent read welcome to the monkey house yet, so far from him its been...
Slaughterhouse Five
Sirens of Titan
Breakfast of Champions
aaand...
i think thats it... yea thats it
Cats Cradle now.

All great books, IMHO.  I loved Sirens of Titan almost as much as Cat's Cradle.  ...Monkey House is my favorite from "the old days" but I've also enjoyed Hocus Pocus and Bagombo Snuffbox, which are more recent.

Edit:  EPized titles
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:07:57 PM by izzardfan »