Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845412 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #850 on: February 20, 2009, 05:20:56 PM
Now up to Pratchett's "Small Gods".

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #851 on: February 20, 2009, 06:39:38 PM
About a third into The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, my first Heinlein.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #852 on: February 20, 2009, 06:47:17 PM
Also, was thrilled to find out Richard K Morgan has a new book out.. and its FANTASY, rather than the excellent sci fi he's known for. It's pretty good, though not as good as his sci fi. I am also slightly thrown that his characters, in this fantasy setting use the F & S cuss words a lot and all their various relatives. I donno, seems to me most fantasy writers come up with a whole different set of cuss words for any given world. Not a big deal I suppose just threw me for a bit as one or two of the characters are pretty profane.

I heard him talk about writing this a few years back at ComicCon. He was really into doing a fantasy noir, so I'd guess that's where the profanity comes from. I imagine he thinks making up fantasy swear words seems a bit silly, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, I love his Takeshi Kovacs series and would really like to check this out. Glad you thought it was okay.

Zathras

Reply #853 on: February 21, 2009, 01:10:04 PM
Finished Gate of Ivrel.  I normally would have finished the trilogy by now, but I haven't been sleeping well lately.  I'd start to read and get drowsy.

This was a pretty good book, especially since it's a 190 page paperback.  Cherryh has a rare gift as an author, the ability to be descriptive without being wordy.  I would put this book in the category of fantasy.  There is "magic" but it is ignorance of science.  Isn't that what all magic is?  Fantasy may not be the correct term, as this made me think of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #854 on: February 21, 2009, 05:01:29 PM

A brilliant book, but worth working up to Stranger in a Strange Land or Time Enough for Love, which are both much longer and much stronger.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Zathras

Reply #855 on: February 21, 2009, 05:10:29 PM
For Stranger in a Strange Land, I highly recommend listening to the unabridged audio version in order to Grok it fully.  I don't remember who did the reading on the edition I heard, but could find out if anyone really wants to know. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #856 on: February 21, 2009, 07:14:04 PM
Finished Gate of Ivrel.  I normally would have finished the trilogy by now, but I haven't been sleeping well lately.  I'd start to read and get drowsy.

This was a pretty good book, especially since it's a 190 page paperback.  Cherryh has a rare gift as an author, the ability to be descriptive without being wordy.  I would put this book in the category of fantasy.  There is "magic" but it is ignorance of science.  Isn't that what all magic is?  Fantasy may not be the correct term, as this made me think of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

Glad you enjoyed it.  I think of it as sci-fi in fantasy disguise.  Jack L. Chalker's "Soul Rider" series has this characteristic as well.

If you really get into Cherryh, you might drop in at the Shejidan board and say hi.  (It's where I first met hautdesert/Ann Leckie, who I was pleased to encounter here as well.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:28:56 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #857 on: February 21, 2009, 10:45:45 PM
For Stranger in a Strange Land, I highly recommend listening to the unabridged audio version in order to Grok it fully.  I don't remember who did the reading on the edition I heard, but could find out if anyone really wants to know. 

Please Zathras, not come across the audio version so would love to grok it. Cheers.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Zathras

Reply #858 on: February 21, 2009, 10:59:55 PM
I believe this is the version I heard.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/0786144068?tag=3009872512-20

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #859 on: February 22, 2009, 09:22:42 AM
I believe this is the version I heard.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/0786144068?tag=3009872512-20
Many thanks, I shall be  ordering it very soon  :D (apologies for sticky keyboard)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:45:06 AM by Poppydragon »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #860 on: February 22, 2009, 09:29:49 AM

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #861 on: February 22, 2009, 09:47:35 AM
Many thanks, I shall be  dering i very son  :D
English please?

:-[ I've edited it now, my wireless keyboard is playing up  :-[ (That'll teach me to post without previewing)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #862 on: February 22, 2009, 10:04:20 AM
:D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #863 on: February 22, 2009, 11:48:23 AM
The Year of Our War- Steph Swainston

i'm on page 12

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #864 on: February 23, 2009, 05:10:28 PM
now up to "Lords and Ladies" (Terry Pratchett)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #865 on: February 24, 2009, 12:31:37 AM
Finished The Dirty Pair Strike Again, and next on deck is The Road to Mars by Eric Idle.  Was browsing in the SF section of my local library last Saturday and it caught my eye.

Zathras

Reply #866 on: February 24, 2009, 01:59:48 AM

Glad you enjoyed it.  I think of it as sci-fi in fantasy disguise.  Jack L. Chalker's "Soul Rider" series has this characteristic as well.

If you really get into Cherryh, you might drop in at the Shejidan board and say hi.  (It's where I first met hautdesert/Ann Leckie, who I was pleased to encounter here as well.)

Planning on finishing the trilogy before moving on to anything else.  I picked up a P.K. Dick collection (used) at Hastings the other day, so it's moved into the rotation.

I hate to term Gate as fantasy, maybe historical fiction?  I don't think the first book was really about Morgaine.  My opinion may change after reading the later books, but to me, the story was Vanye's.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #867 on: February 24, 2009, 03:02:17 AM
I hate to term Gate as fantasy, maybe historical fiction?  I don't think the first book was really about Morgaine.  My opinion may change after reading the later books, but to me, the story was Vanye's.
I think you're right, but I haven't read Gate in ages. 

On a related note, the [dominant female/subservient male] dynamic is a common feature of Cherryh's fiction.  It's in Downbelow Station, Merchanter's Luck, Rimrunners, Cyteen, the Chanur series ....

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #868 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:55 AM
I'll be curious to hear what you think of it when you're done; I think it may be Heinlein's best book.  I was particularly fascinated by the alternate family arrangements.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #869 on: February 24, 2009, 03:05:45 PM
I'll be curious to hear what you think of it when you're done; I think it may be Heinlein's best book.  I was particularly fascinated by the alternate family arrangements.

Heinlein does a lot of alternate family in his books. I won't spoil TMIAHM for Heraldel, but here's some others:

FRIDAY: dysfunctional group family; married couple plus another guy and another girl
TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE: I believe the family numbers nine post-pubescent members at one point
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND: it's been a while, but I believe the father-figure starts with three women that are pretty much his wives

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #870 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:59 PM
Now up to Pratchett's "Lords and Ladies"

izzardfan

Reply #871 on: February 24, 2009, 05:29:53 PM
Heinlein does a lot of alternate family in his books. I won't spoil TMIAHM for Heraldel, but here's some others:

FRIDAY: dysfunctional group family; married couple plus another guy and another girl
TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE: I believe the family numbers nine post-pubescent members at one point
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND: it's been a while, but I believe the father-figure starts with three women that are pretty much his wives

One thing to note, however, is the order in which the stories (IMHO) should be read, at least with his Future History and Lazarus Long stories.  Don't start with Friday, as it builds on other books.  A good reference guide is here:  http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rahfaq.html#0303  The link takes you part way down the page, below the biographical information.

Edit:  The Lazarus Long series should definitely be read in the order listed.  To Sail Beyond the Sunset also includes a list at the back of the book, Associated Stories, showing other books which include the same characters.  This book "ties it all together" in a lot of ways.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:45:21 PM by izzardfan »

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #872 on: February 24, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

One thing to note, however, is the order in which the stories (IMHO) should be read, at least with his Future History and Lazarus Long stories.  Don't start with Friday, as it builds on other books.  A good reference guide is here:  http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rahfaq.html#0303  The link takes you part way down the page, below the biographical information.

I didn't know Friday built on other books. I tend to treat the books as stand-alone except for if they explicitly mention characters in other Heinlein I've read -- ie: Time Enough/Moon/Cat Who Walks.

izzardfan

Reply #873 on: February 24, 2009, 05:54:13 PM
I didn't know Friday built on other books. I tend to treat the books as stand-alone except for if they explicitly mention characters in other Heinlein I've read -- ie: Time Enough/Moon/Cat Who Walks.

I was editing my earlier post while you posted this.  It's been a long time since I've read Friday and To Sail Beyond the Sunset, and I may have confused the characters Friday and Maureen Johnson, as I thought I remembered Pixel the cat in Friday as well.  I went back to my bookshelf and pulled out my copy of Friday, and I could be wrong.  I just know that I started reading Heinlein before he published The Number of the Beast, and continued to read his books in the order they were published, and Friday came out between The Number of the Beast and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #874 on: February 24, 2009, 06:00:45 PM

I was editing my earlier post while you posted this.  It's been a long time since I've read Friday and To Sail Beyond the Sunset, and I may have confused the characters Friday and Maureen Johnson, as I thought I remembered Pixel the cat in Friday as well.  I went back to my bookshelf and pulled out my copy of Friday, and I could be wrong.  I just know that I started reading Heinlein before he published The Number of the Beast, and continued to read his books in the order they were published, and Friday came out between The Number of the Beast and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls.

I don't recall Pixel in Friday, but I might have missed him. I just love that he meows with the word "blert".