Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 849861 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #950 on: April 23, 2009, 12:15:17 AM
Finished Why Evolution is True today.  Next on deck, a reread of The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones, as I reread Charmed Life the other day while temping as a receptionist.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #951 on: April 23, 2009, 01:29:43 AM
"Man Plus" by frederick Pohl

I enjoyed that one and the sequel Mars Plus :)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #952 on: April 25, 2009, 08:19:35 PM
i had no idea there was a sequel, so i better get hold of that  ;)

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #953 on: April 27, 2009, 03:55:05 PM
I have read about 3 or 4 of Webers books recently and I am currently working my way through Snow Crash... it is a bit confusing so far but I am not through it yet so ya

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #954 on: April 27, 2009, 08:45:02 PM
Finished the Discworld Cycle -- I'm passing on the YA books until a new one comes out, and then I'll reread them -- and moved on to KRAD's "Star Trek: A Singular Destiny". Not thrilled so far; the main character is a bit of a Gary Stu.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #955 on: May 03, 2009, 02:14:16 PM
I'm just starting "Grave Peril", the third book in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.  I so did not want to get caught up in an endless series, but at least the books are short. 

I'm also re-reading "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis for one of my GoodReads book groups.  It's been at least 10 years since I read it, but I love Connie Willis.  I got to meet her last weekend at the LA Times Festival of Books and bought a copy of this and "Doomsday Book" and had them signed by her. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #956 on: May 03, 2009, 05:43:30 PM
I just finished The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.  I started it over twentyfive years ago, in middle school, but it didn't grab me back then.

Good story, but I agree with my friend who read it back then: the triffids are only peripheral to the story; a better title for the book would be The Day the Earth Went Blind.

Now reading Wyndham's Trouble with Lichen, the only other of his books in my collection.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #957 on: May 05, 2009, 08:53:39 PM
"A Singular Destiny" basically set up the next two years worth of bad guys in the Star Trek universe -- you'd think they could have a little more peace first? A break? Just sayin'... it's not all about war all the time in the future, or at least it shouldn't be. There's a nice dig against Star Trek novels though.

Now reading Michael Crichton's "The Great Train Robbery". I really hope it speeds up soon.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #958 on: May 05, 2009, 09:03:35 PM
I'm just starting "Grave Peril", the third book in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.  I so did not want to get caught up in an endless series, but at least the books are short. 

I'm also re-reading "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis for one of my GoodReads book groups.  It's been at least 10 years since I read it, but I love Connie Willis.  I got to meet her last weekend at the LA Times Festival of Books and bought a copy of this and "Doomsday Book" and had them signed by her. 

As an aside, its my understanding the series will end with book 20.. so its not endless ;)

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #959 on: May 06, 2009, 04:53:54 AM

As an aside, its my understanding the series will end with book 20.. so its not endless ;)

Actually, I heard an interview with Jim Butcher saying that he's planning 21 books PLUS a grande finale trilogy.  Considering the series is only at 11 books, I highly doubt I'll ever make it through 24.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #960 on: May 06, 2009, 05:15:10 AM
if it doesnt work for you it doesn't work for you, I guess.

I'm personally addicted, although aware of weaknesses.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #961 on: May 06, 2009, 07:19:40 PM
ditto to Talia. I have a friend who refuses to start something there's no "logical" end to. And though I spend my time between books freely cursing the mans name (write FASTER!) I too am weak.. plus.. gooood intros

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #962 on: May 06, 2009, 07:56:38 PM
I've actually managed to work my way up to "Summer Knight".  Thing is, it's not REALY a series.  Sure, some plot elements carry from one novel to the next, but most of the action is tied up inside each book.  At least, so far.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #963 on: May 07, 2009, 04:39:47 AM
I picked up a copy of "Summer Night" today.  I have to make myself finish my other currently-reading books thought before I read it.  So far, each main plot is contained withing the book, but by the end of the third one, you realize that there's a bigger underlying storyline that just has to be finished.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #964 on: May 28, 2009, 05:18:40 PM
Recent books:

"Star Trek: Titan -- Over a Torrent Sea" by Christopher L. Bennett
Bennett tries to mix action with worldbuilding and cool alien cultures and usually succeeds at doing both, but they rarely mix well together. Still, he really is good at characterizations of the Titan crew. However, this book has way too much forced sex (that is, the sex scenes feel forced, not that the characters are having non-consensual sex, because that doesn't happen in the book). The whole minor arc where Lavena tries to figure out if Riker could handle living alone on the planet with her is really uncomfortable and weird. Good but not great.

"Star Trek: New Frontier -- Treason" by Peter David
Another strong entry in the NF series, though not a good book for a newcomer. You really have to know about the characters to appreciate the nuances. Plus, David has been given free reign by Pocket to do his own thing, and so while the Typhon Pact is going on in the rest of the universe, he's created his own super-bad-guys. Lots of action, some funny stuff, story arcs building to keep you interested in the next book, a MAJOR character death (done very well), and a great pace -- David is excellent at pacing. But the book was not one of the best in the series. Still, it's better than a lot of other Trek fiction.

"Medicus and the Disappearing Dancing Girls" by R.S. Downie
This is an almost-doorstop that I'm still reading. I'm not sure exactly when it takes place -- Hadrian is mentioned, but so are the Crusades. It's about Romans occupying a city in London, and one of the doctors who works at the army fort. Funny, good descriptions, but the first couple hundred pages don't move very quickly. I like the character of Ruso, the protagonist, but it seems like TOO much bad stuff has happened to him -- sitcom-esque, almost. I've got another 250-300 pages to go, and I'm hoping we finally get some payoff with all these plot threads the author's leaving laying around on the floor. If you can make it through the first 75 pages you'll keep reading.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #965 on: May 28, 2009, 05:54:11 PM
Last week, finished The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge (recommended by Wilson Fowlie here).

Also reread the Revolutionary Girl Utena manga during downtime while working at the Portland Rose Festival last weekend (appropriate but unplanned  ;D).

And just picked up from the library last night, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed by Jesse Ventura.  Heard him interviewed on Dan Carlin's podcast a while ago and liked what he had to say about politics.  (Not wild about his 9/11 conspiracy theories, though.)

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #966 on: May 30, 2009, 03:50:40 AM
I've actually managed to work my way up to "Summer Knight".  Thing is, it's not REALY a series.  Sure, some plot elements carry from one novel to the next, but most of the action is tied up inside each book.  At least, so far.

I just finished Book 6 of the Dresden Files--"Blood Rites"--and I'm finding it is more series-like as it goes along.  I like that the main storyline of each book is completed in one book, but the underlying story keeps building.  "Blood Rites" has such a huge surprise in the middle and it ended so happily, I'm going to take a little break before I move to the seventh installment.  If I wait, maybe Harry can have some peace for a while.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #967 on: May 31, 2009, 12:42:52 AM
Finished "Medicus and the Disappearing Dancing Girls" (R.S. Downie). I think I kind of figured out who the killer was pretty early on, though I had hoped it wouldn't be him so Ruso would have a good foil for future books. Also, the end is very sappy.

Now on "Star Trek: Voyager -- Full Circle" by Kirsten Beyer. It's... okay... but there's a TON of infodumps I could live without.

izzardfan

Reply #968 on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:29 AM
Acquired the audio version of Storm Front (Dresden #1) and bought it at B&N too, by accident.  Returned it today and picked up Fool Moon (#2) and Grave Peril (#3), as well as donating Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett to a teen foster child through B&N.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #969 on: May 31, 2009, 03:36:35 PM
Reading The Nibelungenlied at hubbys request,  dry- sexist but overall not bad at all

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #970 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:59 PM
Just started the newest Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake novel. To her credit, this one starts off with way more badassery and less "Anita sleeps with everything that moves" than her past bunch have been (though there's still plenty of innuendo and such). I'm sure this will go downhill as the novel progresses, we'll see.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #971 on: May 31, 2009, 03:51:47 PM
Just started the newest Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake novel. To her credit, this one starts off with way more badassery and less "Anita sleeps with everything that moves" than her past bunch have been (though there's still plenty of innuendo and such).

That's what I always say ... love goes out the door when money comes innuendo.  ;D

Started Kinky Friedman's first novel Greenwich Killing Time yesterday, during downtime at work.  Have Jesse Ventura's second book on the way from the library.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #972 on: June 01, 2009, 06:44:53 PM
Finished "Star Trek Voyager -- Full Circle". It gets better, but it's basically just another relaunch that wraps up all the character storylines. It did keep me reading through to the end though.

I think some Jules Verne is next.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #973 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:46 PM
rereading The Outline of History (collected into 2 volumes) by HG Wells. I'm midway through my annual Starship Troopers read (I started it on Memorial Day but my son was sick the flu all last week and I had to put my reading aside and keep him comfy). The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littel, possibly the most infuriating book I've ever tried to slog through, and this is my second try on loan from the library and I am sure it'll go back tomorrow, unfinished.

I started a reread of the opening half of Moby Dick.

I'm also  trying to finish the next Union Dues story (Our Regularly Scheduled Programming), the next Pleasant Hollow story (Bees Do It), and get a couple of space opera short stories (The Ballad of Old 666 and Currently Untitled) off the ground, and find a job, and get the garden together...

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #974 on: June 01, 2009, 08:50:28 PM
Read Escape Artist Greg van Eekhout's Norse Code on vacation. Much fun. One thing I dug about is how Ragnarok seems to be happening all over the world, but people continue going about their lives, or reacting to it, kind of like it's no big deal. That angle isn't really a major one, but it's one of the details that I dug. All in all, it was an extremely good read. Funny and wicked and epic. I hope Greg sells another book like yesterday.

Started reading Toby Buckell's Crystal Rain. I've only read about 30 pages but it seems like fun.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:03:01 PM by Russell Nash »