Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 849125 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1000 on: July 20, 2009, 04:53:48 PM
"The Gathering Flame" by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald. If ever there was a series ripe for SyFy-ing, this is it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Zathras

Reply #1001 on: July 20, 2009, 05:15:16 PM
"The Gathering Flame" by Debra Doyle and James Macdonald. If ever there was a series ripe for SyFy-ing, this is it.

Post number 1000!  Strange that Alasdair got post #666...

Oh, and I'm reading Clark's Law, a B5 book.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1002 on: July 20, 2009, 05:34:01 PM
I just finished China Mieville's 'The City and the City,' the first of his I've read. Wow, excellent! I loved it.

This is on my "next time I have a few dollars" list. Did you read the story of how he wrote it? IIRC, he had a book due with his publisher, and he delivered on time, and the VERY NEXT DAY he hands them this -- apparently wrote the two books at the same time. I love his stuff, though Iron Council wasn't one of my favorites.

haha no I hadn't heard that.  That musta taken some stamina to pull off.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1003 on: July 20, 2009, 05:38:18 PM

Strange that Alasdair got post #666...

Its like some dark force were at work..

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1004 on: July 20, 2009, 09:10:48 PM
To me, [The World According to Garp is] the non-sci-fi equivalent of Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, if that makes sense.

It doesn't, but I'd guess that's only because I haven't read Cat's Cradle.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1005 on: July 23, 2009, 06:27:48 PM
H.R. 2454 and S.R. 1462. Really gripping reads.

Also recently reread Waiting for Guido, which remains among my favorite plays.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:32:01 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #1006 on: July 24, 2009, 07:35:05 AM
The Boys Who Saved The World - Sam Mills

it's a break from all the SF/F i guess. plus most of my books are packed up in boxes right now :glum:

from the title, you'd think it was a fantastic five clone but instead it's about a group of misfit/deluded teenagers who start their own religion. they're led by this very intelligent and very manipulative "prophet" and they've kidnapped what they believe to be a terrorist who's blatantly innocent and are issuing demands. i'm not sure whether the "prophet" actually truly believes this stuff or whether he has ulterior motives for manipulating the others. but it's a good book. gripping.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:37:17 AM by Raving_Lunatic »

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #1007 on: July 24, 2009, 12:44:16 PM
"The Long Hunt" -- Debra Doyle and James Macdonald.

After that: HP7 again.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #1008 on: July 24, 2009, 02:00:19 PM
Just finished Nancy Kress's Maximum Light

This is exactly the kind of SF I like the most - near-future extrapolation that deals with society and culture.  Main protagonists were compelling too, particularly the act-now-think-much-later army girl Shana.  That said, I had a few minor quibbles with the coincidence-driven plot - and I'm not sure I buy the idea that the way to deal with a government cover-up is to get in front of the TV cameras and then spill all the details so that everything the government's trying to cover up is now out in the open.  Seems like it makes things too easy.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1009 on: July 24, 2009, 04:07:39 PM
regarding whited out text (so SPOILERS!)

It does make things too easy.  She must be an optimist.

Funny, my friends and I were discussing this very topic recently, spun out of a conversation about the 70's song of my youth "Harper Valley PTA" in which the town moral majority hyprocrites are exposed at the end on "the day my mother socked it to the Harper Valley PTA", and touching on the conclusion of obscure film RIDERS OF THE STORM in which Reagen-era moral majority hypocrites are exposed by having their sex tapes broadcast over the media.  And we realized that this was a conceit (that evil can be thwarted by exposing its hypocrisy) that probably died with our generation for a number of reasons, but including:

1.  The concept derives from a time when the media still did its job (generally) in service of the public's best interests and not its corporate owners (chalk up a win for Ronnie).

2.  The concept derives from a time when there was still the (albeit sickly and failing, by my generation) belief that "the general public" were educated enough to realize what hypocrisy implied, and not so apathetic and unmotivated enough not to be outraged about it.  (If you've never understood some of the extreme concepts of the 60's, realize that they were based on the general assumption that your neighbor would do the greatest good with the most freedom and best information - a concept, right or wrong (and there's probably too much to be said about that to go into here) our culture has generally abandoned.

3.  The treatment of everything as media spectacle benefits abuse of power because then anything done is equatable to a sex scandal or drunk driving arrest.  In fact, people want to hear about those much more than some boring old political conspiracy because the latter are "entertaining".  The spectacle makes stars of all its participants, pedophile or president, and thus tacitly signifies the public's approval ("you're good enough to generate ratings for us/keep our eyes on ads, we approve").  Ollie North is now a "newscaster", while nuns raped and tortured by Contras are dead and forgotten.

4.  The spectacle thrives on the moment.  The perfect modern man (able to be sold anything - even the same thing over and over, caring not where it comes from or how his leaders act) is the man without memory.  So exposing the evil conspiracy to the people only means the clock is ticking on how soon until they get bored with it as a spectacle, and then it gets forgotten.

So, yes, it does make things too easy.  I do have to say, I don't read much sci-fi but your reduction of "what you like" is pretty much my taste as well, although perhaps with less focus on cultural changes (or at least, the surface cultural changes that cyberpunk, at its weakest, wallowed in) and more on the human level (Bradbury was my exemplar for sci-fi, not hard sf like Asimov) so if there's any books that you liked that sound like that, I'd be interested in getting some titles. 

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #1010 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:50 PM
Currently reading "Brave New World" - a classic that I'd never gotten around to before.  Slow start, but it starts getting very interesting in the middle.  Certainly the world building kicks ass, even if too much of it was done via heavy exposition early on.  But it's a scary future with some very attractive qualities, not just the black and white evil government of 1984.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #1011 on: July 24, 2009, 09:09:34 PM
well exactly, that's the reason i've always found brave new world better

and it's so much closer to what we've actually got - i mean, just replace "soma" with consumerism and that's people's attitudes, you know? if you have an emotion you can't control, repress it by watching tv, forgetting about it

it's far, far scarier. in 1984 we're forced to walk the plank at gunpoint. in brave new world, we all willingly jump with smiles

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #1012 on: July 24, 2009, 09:47:50 PM
I'm also surprised at how well it's aged, dispite being written in 1931.  Sure, there is tech they really should have that they lack, but mostly I can picture things being very "modern". 

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #1013 on: July 25, 2009, 10:55:05 AM
That's true, as well. In that sense 1984 dates well as well... I think the one thing no-one really predicted was how much the internet would rise to prominence.

I'm now reading The Diary of Anne Frank, again.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #1014 on: July 25, 2009, 04:48:22 PM
I agree that Brave New World has aged very well.  I think that's because Huxley focused on the ideas, the story, and the characters rather than the technology.  Science fiction that focuses on science and technology is the stuff that tends to seem the most dated sooner.

I'm currently reading The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts for an on-line group.  I don't know if it's really my thing.  It's one of those 800 page epic journey fantasies with a lot of characters and every person and place has some unpronounceable name.  It's moving pretty fast, but there's so much detail, I know I'm missing stuff.  I've had a few times when I've said, "How did I end up here?"

I'm also reading The House on the Strand by Daphne DuMaurier.  It's general fiction novel that is really science fiction.  It's about a drug that allows people to travel back in time and witness events.  I'm not really sure if I like it out not yet.  It's got potential.

I just finished a new book that's due to be released in August called The Rapture by Liz Jensen.  I won an advanced readers copy in the GoodReads giveaways.  It was one of those books that I couldn't put down after a certain point.  It's going to be classified as general fiction, but it's really one of the best science fiction novels I've read in a while.  It's about a paralyzed therapist who is working in a home for criminally insane teens.  On of her patients, who is in for murdering her mother, is predicting natural disasters and her predictions are accurate.  The therapist and a physicist she meets try to figure out how accurate the girl's predictions are and how she might be making them.  There's a lot of science in it for a general fiction novel.  If I had just seen it in a bookstore, I would have never read it.  However, I thought it was very good and I highly recommend it.

Praxis

Reply #1015 on: July 25, 2009, 11:59:06 PM
"endangered species" by Gene Wolfe (as in 'Gene-Wolfe-wot-has-a-lot-to-do-with-us-being-called-peltasts-or-hipparchs-or-autarchs-or-palmers-via-Steve')

It's a collection of short stories (not surprisingly, they are sci-fi.)
In ways I can't quite put my finger on, they are unlike anything else I've read.

Very recommended.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1016 on: July 27, 2009, 04:13:23 PM
"endangered species" by Gene Wolfe (as in 'Gene-Wolfe-wot-has-a-lot-to-do-with-us-being-called-peltasts-or-hipparchs-or-autarchs-or-palmers-via-Steve')

It's a collection of short stories (not surprisingly, they are sci-fi.)
In ways I can't quite put my finger on, they are unlike anything else I've read.

Very recommended.

Once you finish that, I highly recommend picking up Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series. (Split into two volumes: Shadow and Claw, and Sword and Citadel.) I keep meaning to go back and reread them. Easily some of the best SF/F books I've ever read and as you said, unlike anything else I've ever read.

I just finished reading China Mieville's The City and The City. It was interesting, definitely very different from anything else he's done. Part of me thinks I wasn't able to read it fast enough because of life and vacations and everything and that took away from the book. I think it's a good book, there's some fascinating stuff in it (BREACH), and I'm eager to reread it. But I've read a lot of people talking about how it's his best book yet and at this point, I'd have to disagree.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:14:59 AM by Russell Nash »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1017 on: July 27, 2009, 07:39:59 PM
I just read Tim Pratt's first Marla Mason novel, 'Blood Engines.' Being that I love his short fiction I figured I should check it out. I thought it was pretty darn good - a good sight better than most of the other urban fantasy out there.

Although Mason is kind of a jerk. :)

Also, I just stayed up all night to finish Sanderson's 'hero of ages.'

And I have to say: [spoilers!]

*CRIES* what a lousy way to start my tuesday. Depresssssssinnnng. Bleh... over the course of the trilogy Sanderson kills off virtually all his major characters.. what a downer.

Still fabulous, but man.. I'm still bummed
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:42:36 PM by Talia »

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #1018 on: July 28, 2009, 03:58:24 PM
Debra Doyle & James Macdonald: "A Working of Stars"

I'm always sad when I finish this book because they still haven't written the third in this cycle.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1019 on: July 29, 2009, 04:08:59 AM
Started a Shirley Jackson compilation paperback from the 1960's for lunchtime reading.

As a treat to myself, started a beautiful little volume in a series called "The Art of The Novella" from Melville House Publishing.  In this particular case, it's a volume they did of Guy De Maupassant's "The Horla", which is one of my all-time favorite horror stories  (I think it has one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, last lines of a horror story ever, terrifying, poignant and painful).  What's cool about this series is that the book has the final text, and two earlier drafts (the earliest is called "Letter From A Madman" and the second draft tells the story from the pov of a different character).  I intend to relish this as my nighttime reading and make it last as long as I can make 74 pages last.....

And there's always other stuff to read, as well.

“Broad daylight does not encourage the apprehension of horror.”
Guy De Maupassant, “The Case Of Louise Roque”

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #1020 on: July 30, 2009, 03:18:20 AM

I just finished reading China Mieville's The City and The City. It was interesting, definitely very different from anything else he's done. Part of me thinks I wasn't able to read it fast enough because of life and vacations and everything and that took away from the book. I think it's a good book, there's some fascinating stuff in it (BREACH), and I'm eager to reread it. But I've read a lot of people talking about how it's his best book yet and at this point, I'd have to disagree.

I'm up to part two of The City and the City.  It's very different from the other Mieville books I've read.  I'm enjoying it quite  a bit.  It's reminding me of City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer, but I think it's better than that one because it's not self-involved.  It's the urban weirdness factor and the idea that there are things about cities that we are unaware of that made that connection for me.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1021 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:49 PM
Finished Irving's Garp yesterday.  Great book, but unfortunately I'd already seen the film, so I kept seeing Robin Williams as Garp and John Lithgow as Roberta.  And the book makes me wish I had never seen the film.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1022 on: July 30, 2009, 05:55:01 PM

I'm up to part two of The City and the City.  It's very different from the other Mieville books I've read.  I'm enjoying it quite  a bit.  It's reminding me of City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer, but I think it's better than that one because it's not self-involved.  It's the urban weirdness factor and the idea that there are things about cities that we are unaware of that made that connection for me.

Wait till you get to the last section. It's all action, and its nailbiting. :)

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #1023 on: August 01, 2009, 12:13:20 AM

The last section was amazing.  The murder mystery was handled very well and it was very satisfying on that level.  On the other hand, I am very, very frustrated the Mieville never explored how the two cities got to be the way they were.  The murder mystery that the story centers on in is solved very tidily, but the REAL mystery remains unexplained.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1024 on: August 10, 2009, 03:32:58 PM

The last section was amazing.  The murder mystery was handled very well and it was very satisfying on that level.  On the other hand, I am very, very frustrated the Mieville never explored how the two cities got to be the way they were.  The murder mystery that the story centers on in is solved very tidily, but the REAL mystery remains unexplained.

I agree the last section was awesome.

I think my frustration was that I had a hard time tracking the murder mystery at all until the final section or so, and even though it made sense, I had a hard time looking back and thinking "I should have figured that out!"

That said, I'll probably reread the book in the not-too distant future.

Currently almost finished with John Scalzi's The Last Colony.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:35:20 PM by Russell Nash »