Author Topic: Flash: Rosemary Lane  (Read 6294 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: February 26, 2009, 07:38:25 AM
Flash: Rosemary Lane

By Kate Kelly

Read by Alasdair Stuart

I could see the fear in her eyes, and I drew back into the thickets of thorns and nettles, watching her. She was the first person I had seen in the lane for many years, one of the village children, one of the innocents. I did not wish to frighten her, and I felt my loneliness rush in on me like a tide. But she fled, a scrabble of scuffed shoes on the loose stones and she was gone, running through the meadow grass and buttercups, scattering the sheep in her haste. I drifted back into the shadows and wallowed in remorse.

The girl must have told them about me, for the children came back, the boys leading the way, goading, teasing, daring each other to be brave, the girls hanging back in the long grass. They came up to the bank, laughing, throwing stones into the shadows; but stones can’t hurt me, not any more.

Listen to this Pseudopod Flash.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:43:12 PM
Not impressed.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

eytanz

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:57:21 PM
This is the sort of story that ends up being damned with faint praise. It didn't do anything wrong. It just didn't do much else, either.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:39:27 PM
well... it was well read. Everything else? a bit on the shallow side, everything was obvious. The way things were worded was pretty, a bit purple at times, but pretty.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Zathras

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:45:29 PM
Another kiddie story.  I'm sorry, but, even in flash, I've come to expect better from EA.  It didn't do anything wrong, but it didn't do anything right, either.

At least EP was worth the wait.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:34:17 PM
This is the sort of story that ends up being damned with faint praise. It didn't do anything wrong. It just didn't do much else, either.

ditto

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 12:13:04 AM
I think eytanz pretty much nailed it.  I liked this story, but it felt more like a piece of inter-chapter fiction in a roleplaying game from White Wolf than anything else.  Mildly interesting, good for setting the tone, but not amazing and demanding repeated readings to squeeze the meanings out.