Author Topic: EP189: The Botox School of Acting  (Read 19662 times)

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 03:27:51 AM
I'm sure I listened to the whole story (about a week ago), but I cannot for the life of me recall how it ended, if it did have a conclusion.

Still, the notion of developing a new vocabulary of body language to compensate for the self-imposed loss of facial expressions was somewhat interesting.

So I still give it a passing grade.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 02:55:10 PM
I'm sure I listened to the whole story (about a week ago), but I cannot for the life of me recall how it ended, if it did have a conclusion.

It didn't really. It just sort of stopped; no real revelations or resolutions as far as I saw.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

eytanz

Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:25 PM
Still catching up. This one suffered from a problem I more often have with Pseudopod stories - it made me have to hang around the head of someone I look a strong dislike to. Add to that the fact that the basic point of the story was a very simple moralistic view - I was annoyed. I had stated before that I tend to get really annoyed at stories that present a view I agree with in a reductive, over-simplistic manner, and this was no exception.

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 06:18:54 PM
So does anyone know what time "F*** Your Mother" is on?

(*facepalm*)

Yes, some of the "where could they go with that" questions were obviously answered but I don't really like this version of the future.  Maybe that clouded my judgment of the story.  I'm also a father with a 6 year old daughter and with shows like Toddlers & Tiaras (http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/toddlers-tiaras/toddlers-tiaras.html) running I think the world's definitions of beauty are already screwed up.

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 07:42:35 PM
I'm also a father with a 6 year old daughter and with shows like Toddlers & Tiaras (http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/toddlers-tiaras/toddlers-tiaras.html) running I think the world's definitions of beauty are already screwed up.

Child beauty pageants are nothing new; they've been going on at least a decade.  Those people (both the children and their parents) are among the most damaged/defective humans I've ever seen.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 07:57:22 PM
I'm also a father with a 6 year old daughter and with shows like Toddlers & Tiaras (http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/toddlers-tiaras/toddlers-tiaras.html) running I think the world's definitions of beauty are already screwed up.

Child beauty pageants are nothing new; they've been going on at least a decade.  Those people (both the children and their parents) are among the most damaged/defective humans I've ever seen.

I don't think we can judge the children for the sins their parents commit onto them.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 05:57:26 PM

I don't think we can judge the children for the sins their parents commit onto them.
Parents = defective
Children = damaged

... in case I didn't make that clear enough -- I guess I didn't.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

JaneE

• Extern
Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 12:08:15 PM

I don't think the story really went anywhere; no characters grew or changed.

I must agree - I was left frustrated at the end, waiting for the rest of the story to unfold.  Of course, my imagination had already supplied a few possibilities, but I was disappointed not to have the author's ending.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 04:53:51 PM
So actresses have "augmented" their beauty to the point of inexpressiveness, rendering them to look like emotionless robots, and Oprah has been replaced with a robot but nobody seems to notice.  Isn't all of that true?  Where's the speculative in this fiction?

The moment when I realized that actresses were actually resorting to a sign language system to express emotions due to their flaccid facial muscles, I got a chuckle, but that's all that this story had going for it.  The characters were indistinguishable from one another, which I guess was the point but it made for some dull, dull listening.  Like DKT I found it hard to believe that he'd never considered his own aging appearance when surrounded by the young and "beautiful".

I listened to the end to see where it was going, and apparently the answer was "nowhere".  But I suppose it's hard to end a story arc that never really began.