Author Topic: PC043: Sweet, Savage Sorcerer  (Read 28716 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: March 11, 2009, 12:44:28 PM
PC043: Sweet, Savage Sorcerer

By Esther Friesner.
Read by Rachel Swirsky.

Arrows whizzed past her as Narielle drummed slender heels into the heaving sides of her faithful unicorn, Thunderwind. Her bosom rose and fell in perfect cadence with the noble steed’s movements as the Black Tower of Burning Doom thrust its massive structure into view. Behind her, the sun was setting in a fiery ball, quenching its flames slowly, achingly, in the moist depths of the Lesser Sea of Northern Alraziah-le-Fethynauri’in-ebu-Korfiamminettash.

Bitterly, Narielle reflected that if her father’s men had not stopped to ask directions to the sea, they would never have been caught with their lances down by Lord Eyargh’s mercenaries.

Rated R. Contains sexual innuendos, and a word classified as swear.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Aquarello

• Extern
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:29:52 PM
Gah. I kept entertaining the idea that this was somehow a satire of a fantasy romance novel, kept looking for some twist to make it really amazing, or funny... but it never came. I appreciated the skill in describing every bit of setting as a sexual metaphor, but it doesn't make a good story. For me, it was all the worst parts of fantasy writing mixed with all the worst parts of cheap romance novels.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:33 PM
this was somehow a satire of a fantasy romance novel

Oh, it is.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
Gah. I kept entertaining the idea that this was somehow a satire of a fantasy romance novel, kept looking for some twist to make it really amazing, or funny... but it never came.... For me, it was all the worst parts of fantasy writing mixed with all the worst parts of cheap romance novels.

Exactly my thoughts.  I wanted to believe it's a parody, but having actually once read a "serious" romance novel, I found the prose of this story (even combined with Rachel's reading) not nearly over-the-top enough to make clear its satiric intent.

Just awful.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:41:05 PM
Did you notice the scene where there just happens to be a mirror available for the heroine to gaze into and declare her beauty from?

The whole piece, actually, is a send-up of really bad fantasy writing. If it were being written seriously, the mirror wouldn't be noted as "conveniently hanging on the opposite wall", which draws the reader's attention to how stupid a device that is. It'd just be there.

The whole piece is written like that, very carefully drawing the reader's attention to all the stupid shit that happens in bad fantasy.

Also, I call your attention to the fact that the territory is called "Alraziah-le-Fethynauri’in-ebu-Korfiamminettash" and that they live in the White Castle of the Golden Arches where they serve fried food.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 11:59:02 PM
Did you notice the scene where there just happens to be a mirror available for the heroine to gaze into and declare her beauty from?

The whole piece, actually, is a send-up of really bad fantasy writing. If it were being written seriously, the mirror wouldn't be noted as "conveniently hanging on the opposite wall", which draws the reader's attention to how stupid a device that is. It'd just be there.

The whole piece is written like that, very carefully drawing the reader's attention to all the stupid shit that happens in bad fantasy.
The audio form doesn't really lend itself well to deep analysis of the text.  Even when one doesn'thappen to be weeding the yard while listening.

Also, I call your attention to the fact that the territory is called "Alraziah-le-Fethynauri’in-ebu-Korfiamminettash" ...
This (joke?) is lost on me.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:04:22 AM
Also, I call your attention to the fact that the territory is called "Alraziah-le-Fethynauri’in-ebu-Korfiamminettash" ...

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:54:58 AM

Still don't get it.  But thanks for posting the map; I've got a game of Fantasy Geography going on at another board, and this gives me some more places to use.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:56:29 AM by stePH »

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:15:40 AM
[map of Middle Earth]

Still don't get it.  But thanks for posting the map; I've got a game of Fantasy Geography going on at another board, and this gives me some more places to use.

It's making fun of the convoluted made up names that fantasy generates by going reductio ad absurdum on it. The map is of Middle Earth.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 05:12:30 AM
It's making fun of the convoluted made up names that fantasy generates by going reductio ad absurdum on it. The map is of Middle Earth.

Again, when the thing being parodied is not very far removed in degree from the parody itself, it's not so easy to tell it's a parody.  I mean, for example, from all I've heard about it, Eragon sounds like a parody to me (I haven't read it of course ... do I look like a masochist to you?)  And the couple of examples I've seen of the bodice-ripper genre read so like this story that I couldn't help but think I was hearing more of the same.

salimfadhley

• Extern
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 02:04:00 PM
"Arrows whizzed past her as Narielle drummed slender heels into the heaving sides of her faithful unicorn, Thunderwind."

Ugh... <barfs rainbow>

I almost instinctively pressed the delete button. Only hours later did it occur to me that it might have been intended as a satire. Oh well... did I miss anything important?

:-)

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:55:30 PM
This is one of the stories that I've listened to that made me rip my headphones off running for the story-sick bag.

Cliche, thy name is "Sweet, Savage Sorcerer".

Quasi-fantasy erotica, thy name is "Sweet, Savage Sorcerer".

A story so riddled with run-on sentences like this one:
So saying she drew the full awe inspiring length of the impossibly hard enchanted blade from the clinging embrace of the soft scabbard beneath her skirts.  With a wild untrammeled exultation to feel her hand close around the imposing diameter of that wondrous hilt once more, Nariel realized just how deeply she loved her sword.

Methinks the author was trying to make up for a bad romance novel just read.

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

supergrover

• Extern
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 05:02:05 PM
I'm sorry, but this send up is as bad as the material it mocks.  I found nothing about it humorous or enjoyable.

Windfox

• Extern
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 05:46:11 PM
Looking back, I really should have realized it was parody early on.  It's possible that I just wasn't paying close enough attention, but for all of the queues that were given, I either completely missed them or didn't realize their relevance.  Maybe I was too busy waiting for a massive punchline to catch it.

I've always felt this kind of satire works so much better with an outside observer, someone to point out the ridiculous situation and bad writing.  This can cause problems with breaking the fourth wall, but in most cases I think it's worth it to make absolutely sure that the reader/listener doesn't take it seriously.

Even after realizing it's satire, I still don't like the story very much.  Maybe it's because the audio format stretches it out to around 15 minutes instead of the shorter reading time.  If I'd realized it was satire early, I would have laughed (since this story is a perfect example of the worst parts of romance of fantasy).  But after a few minutes I think it would have started to be almost as grating as it was when I thought it was being played straight.

Part of me wants to relisten to try and catch all of the winks from the writer, and the other part never wants to hear story again.

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 05:58:00 PM
Hmm, I'm really surprised that folks had a hard time realizing it was a parody (n.b., not satire).  After 40+ episodes of Podcastle, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the editors' tastes, and they don't seem to include a lot of heaving bodices and fair elf-maidens on snowy unicorns.  And for crying out loud... golden arches?  Eek!

Still, romance and bad fantasy are such easy targets for parody that the story didn't really succeed for me.  I feel like I've heard it done before, and more successfully, even on Podcastle (Hallah Iron-Thighs, I'm looking at you, babe!)  It seems like there are other subgenres that don't come in for parody as often but that could do with some fun poked at them.  Sexxxy vampires; Harry Potter and the Series of Knockoffs; oh-so-gritty dark fantasy, etc. 

I will say that one joke I really enjoyed was the excessive apostrophization of names; that's a particularly horrible tic, endemic to all sorts of SF, that needs to be killed off.  Moreover, Rachel did a great job of articulating the apostrophes in her reading.

Whoops, did I say "Rachel"?  I meant "Rac'h'el Sw'rs'ky."   ;)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 06:06:24 PM
I will say that one joke I really enjoyed was the excessive apostrophization of names; that's a particularly horrible tic, endemic to all sorts of SF, that needs to be killed off. 

Another thing not easily noticed in audio form.

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 06:10:21 PM
I will say that one joke I really enjoyed was the excessive apostrophization of names; that's a particularly horrible tic, endemic to all sorts of SF, that needs to be killed off. 

Another thing not easily noticed in audio form.

True, which is why I thought Rachel's reading was so good.

Praxis

Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:53 PM
I didn't have any problem 'realising' this was (meant to be) a parody of fantasy writing.

Thing is, it was actually just a bad story.  Using bad writing and cliches, tropes, etc. *is* something you need to use in parody, I agree, but it isn't enough just to have a story with cardboard characters, dodgy names and clunky plot devices.

Same with last week's episode, I got what the writer was meaning, but the story didn't pull it off, imo.

DigitalVG

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 11:48:31 PM
*whimper* I feel like I just got Rick Rolled.

The White Castle of the Golden Arches....  I hate you.

Biscuit

• Peltast
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 01:28:55 AM
Elf Pr0n!

I got it. I was crying with laughter at "faking her unicorn" and "burying the unicorn".

It was so hideous it was splendid.

I'd like to examine whether the people who don't like this story like Mills and Boon/bodice rippers. Do you feel it's being unkind to schlock romance? Also, is fantasy sacred, it shouldn't be mocked?

Personally, I don't mind in the least. I find chest heaving romance like M&B an affront to literature. Super stereotypical fantasy also doesn't have a place on my bookcase. Anything that takes the pee out both is A-ok in my book.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:33:21 AM by Biscuit »

Biscuit

• Peltast
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 01:37:34 AM
  Sexxxy vampires; Harry Potter and the Series of Knockoffs; oh-so-gritty dark fantasy, etc. 

I always thought Buffy was vampire satire. There's also a movie coming out soon called "Lesbian Vampire Killers" - very Shaun of the Dead style.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 01:45:12 AM
I'd like to examine whether the people who don't like this story like Mills and Boon/bodice rippers. Do you feel it's being unkind to schlock romance? Also, is fantasy sacred, it shouldn't be mocked?

I didn't like this story.

I didn't like the couple of romance novels I sampled some twenty years ago.

I love Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series, which sends up the fantasy genre like nothing else.

Does that answer your question?

izzardfan

Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 03:11:49 AM
Wow, I am so alone with my opinion.

I absolutely loved this!  I laughed through nearly all of it, but especially the ending. 

And Rachel's narration was the only way to really emphasize this story correctly.  Well done!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 03:17:15 AM
good lord.

I GET that it's a parody- this does not stop me from hating it ever so very much. PURPLE prose fantasy/romance good god GAG!!! I'm gonna second the "rick rolled" comment. Every overdone fantasy cliche that exists- but without enough giggle to make it funny. Pratchett is better. This is the first Podcastle I've hated outright.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 03:30:10 AM
I laughed. Granted, I knew it was parody because I have to monitor the threads sometimes before I listen to the episodes (midterms suck). Still, funny, especially with the reading.

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 11:30:29 AM
  Sexxxy vampires; Harry Potter and the Series of Knockoffs; oh-so-gritty dark fantasy, etc. 

I always thought Buffy was vampire satire. There's also a movie coming out soon called "Lesbian Vampire Killers" - very Shaun of the Dead style.

Hmm, Buffy had satirical elements (e.g., jocks turning into zombies), but not a lot of parody that I can remember.  What I'm thinking of is something written in the style of Anne Rice or the Twilight books or whatshername, Anita Blake, making fun of the genre.  Maybe there's vampire parody out there (I'd be surprised if there isn't), but I haven't seen it.

Dwango

• Matross
Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 01:58:38 PM
I thought this was hilarious for most of the story.  It caught me off guard as the last few stories have been pretty serious on PC.  But, this got all the tropes of fantasy and romance novels right...  Not that I've read a romance novel, just the back jacket of my wife's novels.  Really. :-)

I have to admit I wasn't sure at first, which is why I loved it so much.  You hear these over-wrought set pieces so often that you don't realize how much a part of standard fantasy they are.  But the "Golden Arches at the White Castle"  and a unicorn named "Thunder Wind" clued me in.

I'm glad the story was short though.  The sexual innuendo was humorous at first, but quickly got long in the tooth.  One of the best parts was that this is a wizard, who happens to have a manly golden broad chest.  Seriously, I don't think reading books builds much muscle and keeping to a dark tower endows one with a tan.  Maybe using a little magical "enhancements"?  One little blue pill will do ya.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 03:40:05 PM

I absolutely loved this!  I laughed through nearly all of it, but especially the ending. 

Naw, I'm with you, too.  There are a few of us dissenters who enjoyed it.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 06:25:29 PM
When Rachel said where this was first published, I knew it was satire because I have that book. (Haven't read it, though.) However, I haven't ever really felt moved toward good or bad by any of the (admittedly-limited) Esther Friesner I've read.

The satire was WAY too over the top; it passed satire, paused at parody, and moved into the 1990s equivalent of elves-as-written-by-the-people-who-would-eventually-invent-lolcats. I kept waiting for it to get interesting and it never really did. Then it became PG-13 (all the sex references), but in a teen-comedy fashion that has been done better in just about every teen comedy.

I appreciate that the editors may have enjoyed this when it was released -- and in 1990, my sense of humor was just about right to appreciate this story (of course, I was 12 at the time) -- but it hasn't held up over the years.

As for the reading, Rachel did a good job, but I don't know what happened in her recent move to turn her microphone (or sound card) into what it's become. The good reading was tarnished by the abominable quality of the audio file, made all the more noticeable when Ann came in to do the feedback, advertisement, and administrivia. Perhaps the good microphone/computer combination could be unpacked before the next time Rachel reads a story?

Overall, I did not enjoy this episode. Even the quote at the end seemed like they were stretching to find something that fit.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 03:46:49 AM
I must admit that the reading was well done. Rachel managed to convey the ironey nessesary. just- ick. I swore, somewhere in my reading and writing that the next heaving bousum I encountered would be skipped altoghether.
I like them in person, not so much in story lines.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.

Zathras

Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 03:52:54 AM
I got to the 3 minute mark and gave up.  I read the comments here, and I'm pretty much on board with most of the negative comments.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 04:37:05 AM
Je. Sus. Fu. King. Christ.

This is the worst Podcastle ever. It's the only one I gave up on a few minutes in and just let it play while I thought about other things.

I get that it was a parody...but perhaps it imitated what it was parodying a little too well.  And describing everything with sexual innuendo? It was cute. Twice.  By the time it had happened 15 times (somewhere in the second paragraph), it had lost me.

Next time you want to torture us, Podcastle, why not just include 15 minutes of someone screaming, or fingernails on a blackboard?

Egad.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 02:26:53 PM
I must agree with the majority, elf porn at it's worst.  I fully expected batteries to fall out of the sword hilt when it became flacid.  Although it was a parody piece, the reading did not have to belabor the point.  Maybe with a deadpan delivery it might have worked, doubtfull, but maybe.   I think the story could be boiled down to it essence.

Boy meets girl.  Boy rapes girl.  Girl likes it.  The world is better for it. 

This is bad even for a parody of a bodce ripper.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 08:41:45 PM
Terrible. Absolutely terrible. This story completely fails to show how bad fantasy can be in the hands of someone with more enthusiasm than skill, but how bad parody can be in the hands of someone setting out to be clever rather than humorous. Yes, there's bad fantasy out there, but bad fantasy is miles better than a joke that isn't funny. It's rather like existenz where, to defend the story, you have to agree that the plot is linear and the characters one-dimensional but then try and force your opponent to believe that that was the desired respect and so it's failures are actually it's successes. This is much the same, just because it's supposed to be a parody that doesn't make it good.

So far elf month is 0 out of 2 for me. Surely there's good stories about elves out there? Or, failing that, monkeys. Everyone loves monkeys right?

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 11:25:15 PM
Or, perhaps Elf month seeks to ruin Elves for the rest of us?

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 04:49:06 PM
Harumph! Harumph, and Harumph again!
 >:(

Sorry. I mean, I know it's a satire, and God and Goddess alike know that I've read enough bad fantasy to know that bad fantasy SHOULD be skewed. But as an old-school Tolkien Geek (as in, I liked him before he was cool), I've often been shunted to the bottom of the Geek Hierarchy Ladder, and so I'm very sensitive when my beloved trope is ablotted.

...or something.

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 06:36:52 PM
Can we be clear about one thing?  Whatever one's judgment on the merits of this story, it's parody, not satire. 

... sorry, I just couldn't restrain myself.  But there is a real difference between the two.

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 06:42:43 PM
Unfortunately, it contained a parody error.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:25 PM
I've already read The Eye of Argon, I really didn't need this.  The Eye of Argon is far funnier, even though (or because) it was probably a serious attempt and not just a parody. 

This did get a few chuckles out of me, granted.  But mostly I was just waiting for the twist or pull-back where the author of this tripe became the main character in a *real* story.

Oh well.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:55 PM

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 08:56:16 PM
Enough please, no more attempts at making everyone like elves... I liked them at the start and this is doing nothing to encourage me to do anything other than stop listening to PC until next month, just miss the next few and do something, anything other than listen to any more drivel like this.  >:( >:( >:(

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

csrster

• Palmer
Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 08:05:55 AM
I find it hard to believe that so many listeners failed to identify the humourous intent in this story - especially with Rachel hamming up the reading at every heaving breast and cerulean eye. Even the intro carefully signalled Esther Friesner as a well-known writer of humourous fantasy. Perhaps some people were so distracted by the persistent mispronunciation of her name as “Freisner” that they failed to spot the clue?

As for the story - Well it had some good lines, but it was pretty heavy-handed and I’m still waiting for the punchline. And even funny stories should have a plot.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 09:20:50 AM
I find it hard to believe that so many listeners failed to identify the humourous intent in this story -

I don't think they did, I certainly identified the humorous intent, I just didn't actually find it humorous.

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 01:55:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that so many listeners failed to identify the humourous intent in this story

As Loz said, we identified it. It was hard not to. I mean, when someone is repeatedly clubbing you over the head with a blunt instrument, it doesn't take but 8 or 9 repetitions before you say, "Gee. I think someone is clubbing me over the head with a blunt instrument!"

I think people just, you know...didn't like the story.  At least, for me, that was the problem.

Perhaps in print, it was better. But in audio format, the heavy-handedness of the parody and the over-the-top-ness of the language was brought too much into the foreground and not left for the reader to interpret.

csrster

• Palmer
Reply #44 on: March 18, 2009, 02:17:09 PM
I find it hard to believe that so many listeners failed to identify the humourous intent in this story -

I don't think they did, I certainly identified the humorous intent, I just didn't actually find it humorous.

I'm not saying everybody failed to identify the humourous intent, but read this forum thread and the blog discussion and it's obvious that a fair few people didn't get the point at all. For what it's worth I totally agree with you that the humour fell very flat indeed.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 03:32:19 PM

I was aware going into them that Friday, Napoleon Dynamite, and Borat were intended to be comedies.  I just didn't find them funny.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 04:28:57 PM

I was aware going into them that Friday, Napoleon Dynamite, and Borat were intended to be comedies.  I just didn't find them funny.

Not all funny things are funny to all people. I enjoyed the latter two, though I didn't think either was particularly great.

I think this story's problem is one of expectations — I, because of my moderating, knew it was a parody, and from it's length not to expect anything too long or complex (not that it can't be done in that length). I laughed and overall liked it, but I wasn't expecting a twist or a breaking of the fourth wall. Maybe I'm easier to please slash have lower standards, but I listened to it while cooking and didn't feel cheated of my time.

csrster

• Palmer
Reply #47 on: March 19, 2009, 07:31:50 AM
Unfortunately, it contained a parody error.

That was funnier than the story.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 12:57:54 PM

I'm right there with you on that one.

DigitalVG

• Palmer
Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 06:55:55 PM
I didn't say I hated it.

I said I felt like I got Rick Rolled.

I thought I was going to get a story about elves and instead got a block of cheese.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 01:33:59 AM
It's not parody if all you're doing is making yet one more of whatever you're parodying.

Made me laugh in a few places, but it was the kind of derisive, "Oh, I can't believe it's this bad" laughter you find at a screening of Killer Tomatoes or Plan Nine from Outer Space.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 05:45:32 AM
It had moments of levity for me, it did. I saw what she was doing. But.. it still made me want to gauge my eardrums out to stop the pain.

GAH

Upon further consideration, I suspect this story works better in print.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:50:11 AM by Talia »

eytanz

Reply #52 on: March 24, 2009, 05:34:04 PM
As some people have already said, the problem with parody is that it often has to adopt all the bad features that it parodies. And sure, there's merit to spending time with a bad story in order to make fun at it - but the side effect is that you just spent 30 inutes or so listening to a bad story. Which can be great - indeed, just two nights ago I watched "Garth Marenghi's Darkplace" on DVD, and loved every second of it - but for this to work as an experience, you need to come into it knowingly. In other words, if you expect good literature and get a pastiche of bad literature, you're not going to enjoy it.

Which is a roundabout way of saying - I knew what to expect, because I happen to have read this before, and I enjoyed it. But I don't think I would have had I heard the story unknowing.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 04:21:42 AM

I'm not a fan of bodice rippers, have nothing against giving schlock romance a little kicking around, and fantasy is definitely not sacred.  Like lots of others, I see where the piece was trying to go, it just failed to clear the trees at the end of my runway.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

MattArnold

• Extern
    • nemorathwald.com
Reply #54 on: April 01, 2009, 09:27:51 AM
Did anyone else think the title was an exclamation? Like, "Sweet Jesus!" or "Holy Crikies!"

I got the joke of the parody in the first paragraph, and chuckled. That is all the length the joke is good for. By the time the Sorcerer was on stage, I was saying "Yes. I get it. Move on." After that I needed the story to go somewhere else to continue mocking from a distance. When I skipped to the end and realized it stayed there permanently, I moved on.

Sweet Savage Sorcerer, Batman!

ladyjai

• Extern
Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:13 PM
I'll echo displeasure. I realized it was bad enough to be a parody. So... I suffered through it. At the end, I was hoping for a payoff.

I got nothing!

Even through there are little things which tips a person off it is a parody, (primarily that Podcastle doesn't publish material this bad), there is not enough to make me laugh. Mostly wince. sometimes cry. Other times, fight the urge to hit DELETE.

then I get to the end. I'm thinking, there's got to be something, a sentence, something that we've earned by listening to this (purposely) bad writing. Make me laugh. Like our flash fiction.

yeah, I'm still disappointed.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 04:57:12 PM
Even through there are little things which tips a person off it is a parody, (primarily that Podcastle doesn't publish material this bad),

Cough *yetibehindyou* cough *deadgirlsweddingmarch* cough *blackribbon* cough *letsnotevengetintotheminiatures*

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #57 on: April 09, 2009, 05:04:39 PM
hmm, Yeti Behind You was quite good, actually. I dont see a comparison there :p

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 12:28:38 AM

Well, I gave it, and the others mentioned, one star.  I hated them all.

Tastes differ, I guess.  Can't be helped.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 12:38:34 AM

Well, I gave it, and the others mentioned, one star.  I hated them all.

Tastes differ, I guess.  Can't be helped.

...Except with large sticks and other pointy bits.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #60 on: April 10, 2009, 12:45:33 AM

Naw, I'm with you, too.  There are a few of us dissenters who enjoyed it.

Yeah.  I gotta join in with the dissenters.  I had fun with this one.  Though I should note that Friesner's humor is often hit or miss for me.  This time it hit.

One of these days, I shall be in the majority.  And then love/hate in equal measure to the masses.  One day! 

Wait, maybe I already was in the majority once.  Didn't most everybody hate the small town rocketship story?  See?  I can fit in.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #61 on: June 14, 2009, 12:48:40 AM
Harmless fluff. A bit too much pron but mercifully brief.

deworde

• Extern
Reply #62 on: June 19, 2009, 04:37:04 PM

Dear god, has it really reached the stage where the genre is so unbelievably broken, that "Alraziah-le-Fethynauri’in-ebu-Korfiamminettash" doesn't seem ridiculous enough to be a joke? Really? Alright, this is a genre where a hero's titles can fill a paragraph without it being parodic, but come on.

I've read the story before, and the first time I hadn't really encountered the "bodice-ripper" genre, so it fell a little flat. This time I actually started cracking up on the train. But I will admit that if it had gone on for two minutes longer I'd probably have contracted diabetes.
There does seem to be a chronic combination of "don't mock my genre" and "ooooh, it's supposed to be a joke" going around. I mean, this is a story where halfway through, we watch the heroine's reactions flick between lust and violence like a schizophrenic pendulum on hormone replacement therapy. "She'd kick him in the shins" for god's sake.
For me, this is so bad it's funny. Which is entirely the point.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:48:23 PM by deworde »

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #63 on: July 21, 2009, 05:21:43 AM
I think Nobilis said it best--it's pretty hard to make a parody when it's as bad as the story it's paroding. Think of the great parody movies over the past few decades--Young Frankenstein, Airplane!, Blazing Saddles--I think what truely makes them good parodies is that they work just as well on their own as humor (Hell, I doubt many people know Airplane! was a parody/remake of a very over-the-top film in the '50s).

This story isn't in that league at all, IMHO. In fact, it's more along the lines of most modern "parodies," like Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #64 on: July 21, 2009, 02:08:18 PM
Dear god, has it really reached the stage where the genre is so unbelievably broken, that "Alraziah-le-Fethynauri’in-ebu-Korfiamminettash" doesn't seem ridiculous enough to be a joke? Really? Alright, this is a genre where a hero's titles can fill a paragraph without it being parodic, but come on.
I'm probably not the best judge, as I don't read high fantasy any more.  The Lord of the Rings is just about all I know.

This story [is] more along the lines of most modern "parodies," like Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans.
God's Balls, Epic Movie was awful.  I think I laughed exactly once in the whole thing.  (But unlike Napoleon Dynamite, at least I could tell where it was trying to be funny.)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 09:23:51 PM
It's not parody if all you're doing is making yet one more of whatever you're parodying.

That was exactly my reaction.  It was clearly trying to make fun of over-the-top fantasy, but in the end it was just over-the-top.  I gave it a chance, but didn't finish it.