Author Topic: PodCastle Miniature 26: Up the Chimney  (Read 6329 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: March 13, 2009, 04:31:16 AM
PodCastle Miniature 26: Up the Chimney

By Cat Rambo
Read by Cian MacMahon.

I should have known better. There we were dozing by the fireside, old Tom and me, and there’s a stranger telling some story of funerals and cats. Old Tom, he leaps up, whiskers abristle. Shouting “Then I’m the King of Cats” and disappearing up the chimney!

Rated G. Contains cats and fairy land.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:53:04 PM
Disposable.  But, thankfully, very very short.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:27:19 PM
I'd like to hear this reader again doing something longer... and speaking more slowly.

The premise of the story was fine, but I've only ever heard one thing written or narrated by Cat Rambo that I really liked, and this wasn't it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Zathras

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 06:30:54 PM
Had to listen twice, missed most of the story the first time.  Was the intro/outro longer than the story?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 08:21:32 PM
Had to listen twice, missed most of the story the first time.  Was the intro/outro longer than the story?

Blink your ears and you'll miss it.  :D

Agent_137

• Extern
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:36:28 PM
While Cat Rambo's fantastic leadership and work on Armageddon MUD colors everything i read of hers in a positive light, i just couldn't get a handle on this one. I completely missed it the first time. And even after a second listen i couldn't even figure out what the narrator was. Cat? Mouse? Human? I feel like this would have been much better in text form than read aloud.

cianmm

• Extern
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 03:29:37 PM
Hey there!

I'm the narrator of this episode, and I thought that I would pop by.

Firstly, yes, this story was REALLY short. I had to take about 7 takes, simply because as an Irish lad, I was reading too fast. I had hoped that I had manage to slow myself down a fair bit for the final recording though.
Agent_137: I am "fairly" sure that the narrator is a human. But I recorded this about a year ago now, so don't have the copy with me to check it out for sure.

Listener: Why thank you! I hope I get to do another one soon as well, and I will try to slow myself down a bit.

Zathras

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 04:49:55 PM
Hey there!

I'm the narrator of this episode, and I thought that I would pop by.

Firstly, yes, this story was REALLY short. I had to take about 7 takes, simply because as an Irish lad, I was reading too fast. I had hoped that I had manage to slow myself down a fair bit for the final recording though.
Agent_137: I am "fairly" sure that the narrator is a human. But I recorded this about a year ago now, so don't have the copy with me to check it out for sure.

Listener: Why thank you! I hope I get to do another one soon as well, and I will try to slow myself down a bit.

Thanks for stopping by!  I really enjoy when the authors or narrators interact with us.

Just be careful, Talia bites.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 05:55:32 PM
I liked the narration but wasn't clear on the story, I think it was a young boy or girl, stuck in cat-land but it was so slight as to be a passing wisp of dream rather than something substantial.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 08:11:12 PM

I "wonder" why the word "fairly" is in quotes.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 03:02:51 PM
Cute idea, of having separate fairylands for different species.  It seemed clear to me that the narrator was human, but I don't exactly remember why (twas a while back that I listened).  Nice piece of flash to give an idea, execute it, and get out before belaboring it.