Author Topic: The Descent  (Read 14952 times)

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
on: January 08, 2007, 05:34:33 PM
I don't know if many of you saw "The Descent" when it came out, but if you did not...get off your butts and go rent it.  Seriously -- this is a great horror flick.  And it actually has character development, believe it or not.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:31:09 PM
love that move.
i think you yanks got A sanatised ending thoe coz you culdent handel the real one

Dog Soldiers is a nuther fantastick(if a littel cheper) fillm buy the same guy

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:23:42 PM
Yeah, I dug Dog Soldiers as well.  Wasn't there a sequel in the works?

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:53:12 PM
aparently so
thow i hear its a cheezy cashin laking any of the tram from the origanal

you best bet for more fun in a simler vain is doomsday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_%28film%29

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:52:26 PM
Oh man I hated the Descent! Just one thing that makes no sense after the other!

Woo! Girls in a cave.

<shrug> Not my thing. I'm more into The Hills Have Eyes and the like.

Also - the movie Pulse sucked, except the last 5 minutes or so, which were cool.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:44:58 PM
Thoughts on "Slither?"

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 07:00:59 PM
Loved it!

First off, the guy from Firefly (can't think of his name off the top) is a great actor. I really like him.

Secondly it was gross as hell.

Two thumbs up on that one.

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 05:56:03 PM
I enjoyed it.  I actually thought it was sort of over-rated.

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 02:58:02 PM
Turning off my brain I enjoyed it from an action / horror movie standpoint.  That being said there were plot holes I could drive Optimus Prime through.  It's been so long since I saw it, though, that I don't think I could give specifics. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 04:17:20 PM
There were two horror movies out last year that had to do with women in caves, right?  The Cave and the Descent, I believe.  One was horrible, one was supposed to be pretty good.  Am I right in reading from this that the Descent is the better of the two?

Nelka

• Extern
    • DorkDujour
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 12:25:31 AM
The Descent was real good.  It had me squirming even before the really scary stuff started.  (Closed in spaces strike again.)

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 05:46:30 PM
Based on this thread I'm going to watch this when it comes on in half an hour.  I will report back after.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:10 PM
so what did you think?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 02:53:56 PM
There were two horror movies out last year that had to do with women in caves, right?  The Cave and the Descent, I believe.  One was horrible, one was supposed to be pretty good.  Am I right in reading from this that the Descent is the better of the two?

Pretty much yeah.  I had some pretty serious problems with The Descent but liked what it ended up doing.  The Cave, the other one is a fun idea but is more of a flat out monster movie than The Descent.  That being said, The Cave has a great ending.

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 07:58:14 PM
Based on this thread I'm going to watch this when it comes on in half an hour.  I will report back after.
so what did you think?

This was lame garbage. The whole set up to get there was lame.  The creature was lame.  The tense suspense was boring.  The creature wasn't scary.  I gave up a little while after the asian stuck the axe in her friends neck.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 07:06:04 AM
lol
takes all sorts i supose

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 11:11:22 AM
   Oddly enough, there's a sequel in rapid development.  Called, I kid you not, The De2cent, it apparently picks up the story of the survivor.  Neil Marshall is producing but not writing or directing, largely because he's working on Doomsday.  It apparently follows the outbreak of a plague in Scotland which causes Hadrian's Wall to be rebuilt to seal the country off.  When cases of the plague start appearing in England, an elite commando unit led by Rhona Mitra (Who used to be Lara Croft so I'm sure she knows what she's doing) and ace plague scientist Malcolm Mcdowell (Hurray!  ALL movies are better with Malcolm Mcdowell!) must go back into the sealed country to try and find the cure.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 05:35:20 PM
what survivor?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 05:45:25 PM
De2cent is hilarious.

This seems like a really odd sequel.  Granted, I haven't seen the original but it still sounds like a completely different movie...

eytanz

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 07:33:58 PM
It sounds like they saw the success of 28 days/weeks later, and decided to make a clone.

As for the survivor - there were two different versions of the movie release. The US version had a survivor, the European version did not.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 02:21:12 PM
De2cent is hilarious.

This seems like a really odd sequel.  Granted, I haven't seen the original but it still sounds like a completely different movie...

There were, the story goes, SERIOUS talks about a Se7en sequel a few years back too.  Thankfully, somebody in the room was, y'know, AWAKE and pointed out what a very, very bad idea that would be.
   It does seem odd doesn't it?  Especially given that Dog Soldiers is so perfectly configured for a sequel and they've not gone with one, despite Marshall apparently being up for it.  Plus, with Kevin Mckidd's TV career taking off it's not too likely to happen now.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 04:13:50 PM
One possible direction being mulled over is to pick up with Shauna Macdonald's "Sarah," that is, if she didn't croak at the end of the first film. "Shauna just had a baby so she's not gonna be ready to film for a bit," Marshall adds, then, "['De2cent'] is a ways off." But there is palpable interest coming from his former leading lady. "She wants to continue the journey a bit more. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one way to take her character, she has to die. If we didn't kill her at the end of the first film, we have to kill her at the end of the second one," Marshall laughs. "So, I don't know - I don't know where we stand yet."
- shocktillyoudrop.com interview with director Neil Marshall

I just watched Descent last night. Anyone else get the feeling that maybe the creatures didn't really exist, and they had all gone mad (especially Sarah) and started killing each other, hallucinating each other to be monsters? It would add new meaning to the title. 'Descent' could represent their descent in the cavern and their descent into madness as well.

The scene were they are examining the corpse of one the monsters is a pretty strong argument against that interpretation, though.