Author Topic: PC045: The Annals of Eelin-Ok  (Read 20916 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 12:30:54 AM
I really don't see what the point was of the explanation at the beginning of the story as everything you need to know was explained in the text, it was rather like the voiceover at the start of Dark City which tells you most of what you're going to see over the next few hours.

??? The version of Dark City that I have on DVD is slightly over an hour and a half. Or is there some other Dark City?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 08:06:32 PM
I really don't see what the point was of the explanation at the beginning of the story as everything you need to know was explained in the text, it was rather like the voiceover at the start of Dark City which tells you most of what you're going to see over the next few hours.

??? The version of Dark City that I have on DVD is slightly over an hour and a half. Or is there some other Dark City?

The special edition that runs in my head where it all turns into a big slashy sandwich between Rufus Sewell and Richard O'Brien halfway through. If I could sell tickets I would.  ;D

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 08:32:57 PM
The special edition [of Dark City] that runs in my head where it all turns into a big slashy sandwich between Rufus Sewell and Richard O'Brien halfway through. If I could sell tickets I would.  ;D

And if I could buy a ticket ... I wouldn't.  ;)

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 09:42:41 PM
I thought this was a great story. As others, i was put off, at first, by the foreword, but after the actual story started, i thought it actually enhanced the story.

I caught the some of the inconsistencies that have already been noted, but it didn't bother me too much because my main thought was how i wished my son were old enough to listen to/understand this when we go to the beach this summer. What great fodder for a child's imagination!

Zathras

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:07 PM
Am I the only one that disliked this story enough to not finish it?

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 11:17:31 PM

Us green Drazis all loved it.  If you'd picked green, you'd love it too.  Now we fight.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04:14 AM

Yes, but I was close to joining you there.

Zathras

Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 12:35:54 PM
I liked the "data dump" part of the story.  As a matter of fact, if it had ended there as a piece of flash, I'd have given this a thumbs up.

Purple!  FTW

Zathras

Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 08:06:10 PM
And now I feel like a turd!  I thought I waited long enough for the episode comments to be harvested before I posted that.  C'est la vie.

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 12:20:33 AM
Please, no, Zorag, I didn't mean to make you feel bad!  I'm very sorry.

Zathras

Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 12:26:30 AM
Please, no, Zorag, I didn't mean to make you feel bad!  I'm very sorry.

You didn't make me feel bad.  I was trying to reform my image.   ;D  Now everyone knows I'm still a heartless cur!!!

Honestly, I did wait to post it because so many people liked it, but I completely understand including it in the comments.  I just might have been a little less harsh.  It's all good.  But if you feel bad, you can make up for it by waving at people you don't know while driving.  While smiling.  Without attracting stalkers.  Hmmm, maybe you could just smile at the cashier at the store...

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 03:02:20 AM

you can make up for it by waving at people you don't know while driving.  While smiling.  Without attracting stalkers. 

Ooooh I do this all the time! When we're visiting the hubs family in Kentucky? people wave back. Here? they either try reallyreally hard to not see you, give you the finger, or think you're hitting on them. Weird.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 04:31:31 AM
But if you feel bad, you can make up for it by waving at people you don't know while driving.  While smiling.  Without attracting stalkers. 

A wise man once told me, "it's dangerous to wave at people you don't know, because what if they don't have hands?  Then they'll think you're just being cocky."

coldwater

• Extern
Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 06:52:57 PM
This story was truly enjoyable.  The thought of a race that "moves in" to a child's sand castle to live a fascinating (if brief) life truly captures fantasy.  Elves in my mind have always been an enduring race that encompasses all things beautiful.  This was something different, something fragile, a life in constant danger of being extinguished.  Thank you so much for such a wonderful story.

Tuppence

• Extern
Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 02:29:35 PM
I'm a bit behind in my Podcastle listening so have just heard this story.  It is one of the most charming (I know it was called so in other postings but the description is right on the mark) stories I have ever heard.  It pulled me in bit by bit until I felt as thought I were there with the slight being...a gnat on his wall, so to speak.
But the final sentence really made it all sink in and brought tears to my eyes.  So simple yet so poignant..."I have to hurry, I don't want to miss this."
Rising moons be damned...this is my current favorite and I suspect will be in my top 5 forever.
Thank you Mr. Ford.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 09:50:33 PM
This one was a cute idea, and I like the idea of the creature living in the sandcastles.  If I'd heard this as a kid, I would've ached to go to the beach so I could build an awesome home for a little guy, and that fact made me smile.   :)

As others have said, the intro got pretty long.  It was interesting in the way that a textbook can be interesting, but I can't say that it was much of a hook.

In the end, I didn't end up finishing the story, because after the intro, everything else just seemed to be showing what had already been told in the intro.  It didn't really matter to me what happened to the little guy, I knew he was going to die when the sandcastle got washed away, and beyond that there wasn't anything I was really waiting for.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 09:52:26 PM
And regarding Elf Month:
I actually like the Tolkienesque sort of elf.  Sure, they've been overdone in the meantime, but I still like them.  But only one of these alternate elf stories did I really like overall, (Immersed in Matter), that was--surprise--more classical sort of elf.

GreatAuntMaude

• Extern
Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 09:38:07 PM
As others have said, the intro got pretty long.  It was interesting in the way that a textbook can be interesting, but I can't say that it was much of a hook.

In the end, I didn't end up finishing the story, because after the intro, everything else just seemed to be showing what had already been told in the intro. 

I, too found the intro somewhat annoying.  Conventional writing wisdom says, "Show, don't tell," and Unblinking's comment is one reason why.  Another is that figuring out the background of a story is half the fun.

GAM

Tunos

• Extern
Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:33 AM
Just listened to this story again for the first time in over a year and I have to say it's my favorite PodCastle to date.

The feeling that the author evokes (and I'm sure the amazing narration helps here) just makes me want to shrink myself down to size and go find a sandcastle to live in.

PodCastle's been doing some pretty heavy stuff lately and I'd really like to see another story of this nature - something whimsical and fun.

BarryJNorthern

• Extern
Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 08:11:46 AM
I don't think I ever commented on this one. It was brilliant. I kept it on my iPod for months and months.