Author Topic: The Pseudopod Autopsy: Sunshine  (Read 3970 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: April 03, 2009, 04:28:16 AM
The Pseudopod Autopsy: Sunshine

A lone crew struggling to cope with the stress of an impossible mission. A bomb the size of a city and a star whose light is fading. Danny Boyle’s Sunshine  is a difficult, spiky film that turns the traditions of spaceship movies on their head. Now, we take a look behind the scenes, examining how it’s structured, what it says about the times and crucially what makes it tick. Welcome to the Pseudopod Autopsy. Now glove up…

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:35:34 AM
sunshine is a popular movie to review. it's an interesting mix of good, great, and god awful.

edit: looks like i was channeling a bit of Alasdair5000's original comment
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 06:27:43 PM by deflective »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:10:58 PM
Great autopsy!

I love Alex Garland and Danny Boyle, taken individually or together. The Beach remains one of my all-time favorite novels and I think Trainspotting, Millions, and Shallow Grave are all remarkable films. 28 Days Later, their first union, I absolutely adore.

So I really wanted to love this movie. And I found there was a lot to like about it. But that last 25 minutes felt...wrong. Pinbacker seemed too much of a supervillain.

The more I think about it, the more I can justify it. There's a nice mirror story there between Icarus I and II. And I imagine Al's right - that I could watch it a 2nd time (which I probably will one day) and it will work better. But I remember Sullydog reviewing this last year, and saying something along the lines of worth seeing, if only to see how close they came to making a great film, and then completely blowing the last act.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:51:58 PM
Sunshine is basically a nonsensical retelling of the Clark Ashton Smith story "Phoenix."

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.