Author Topic: wanted to rave about this podiobook for a bit  (Read 7140 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: April 09, 2009, 05:28:15 AM
http://podiobooks.com/title/meme

This is hands-down one of the most original ideas I've seen in any podcast, ever.

As for execution: arguably middling. Towards the middle, when the episodes run towards human-dictated episodes, they are weaker, but overall, fairly good.

The main thing here is the theme: you're following a thought. As it proceeds through other thoughts, and goes about its business. Its fascinating stuff - and very, well, thought-provoking, I feel! Words aren't sufficent to explain how engaging this tale is. Listen for a chapter or two, chances are you'll feel sucked in. Keep with it, it pays off. This little thought, who came from nowhere, seems to have big places to go.. :)

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:23:40 AM
Hmm... I keep going back to that one, debating whether or not to subscribe to it.

I'll have to give it a try.

[edit - downloading the first couple of chapters now.]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:22:42 AM by Planish »

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:00:37 AM
Up to chapter 24 now. A bit slow for the first 6 chapters or so, but then it gets its hooks into you.
Somewhat like Alice In Wonderland at times, and a bit like Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil at others.

I feed The Pod.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:30:05 PM
I'm glad you're liking it. I just found it a fascinating way of depicting how thoughts work. So imaginative.

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:15:28 PM
You got me.  I just downloaded it.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:24:09 AM
Finished it.

Gets a bit preachy near the end, but well worth finishing.

(drag across text below to reveal mild spoiler)

I was hoping we'd get back to what was happening to the real-world humans at the end.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:27:15 AM by Planish »

I feed The Pod.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 03:56:34 PM
bookmarked for when i have less of a backlog :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:47:51 PM
http://podiobooks.com/title/meme

This is hands-down one of the most original ideas I've seen in any podcast, ever.

As for execution: arguably middling. Towards the middle, when the episodes run towards human-dictated episodes, they are weaker, but overall, fairly good.

I'm halfway through episode five as of this afternoon.

It reminds me of Tron, and not in a good way.  The excessive anthromorphisation of the characters is a bit grating.  These are thoughts, at most "a sentence or two", and yet they seem to be fully people with high-functioning thoughts of their own, just like the self-aware programs in Tron (shit, even "Hello World" is pretty much an AI in the world of Tron).  I'm not sure yet where the action is taking place, but I'm guessing it's within the brain of some unidentified human; probably an elderly person in failing health. 

And the line "Molly smiled" ... these "thoughts" are explicitly described as being without facial features or other identifying characteristics (other than the number on the chest) so that line really stood out for me.  Yes, it is revealed shortly thereafter that she has developed a personal appearance including facial features, but that's not known to the reader/listener at the moment that she "smiled"; seems like sloppy writing to me.

Is that what you mean by the "execution" of the idea? ("middling" seems an overly generous rating.)  It is an interesting idea, and I'll keep listening to see where this is going, but I keep shaking my head all through it.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:29:54 AM
well we might have to agree to disagree on this one. I've noticed we have fairly different tastes in the stories we like or dislike on the "-Pods". This is unacceptable! Why aren't you a CLONE OF ME! :p

Honestly, I dont remember what I meant by execution exactly. Probably little inconsistencies with the writing like you noticed. The human interaction (comes later) was somewhat awkward. STuff like that.

Thing is, I guess I fell in love with the concept. Which for me, personally, is enough to forgive a LOT. Its probably why I like stories a lot of others don't. :)

However if you're already put off, I doubt you'll come to like it much better later in the story.

Still, he does some interesting things, I thought, with the concept and storyline. May be worth it to you to finish for that reason alone (or may not, I donno).

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:27 AM
well we might have to agree to disagree on this one. I've noticed we have fairly different tastes in the stories we like or dislike on the "-Pods". This is unacceptable! Why aren't you a CLONE OF ME! :p

I might ask the same of you.  :P

However if you're already put off, I doubt you'll come to like it much better later in the story.

Still, he does some interesting things, I thought, with the concept and storyline. May be worth it to you to finish for that reason alone (or may not, I donno).

Again, the concept is interesting enough that I want to see where he goes with it.  I just think the way it was treated is somewhat puerile.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 03:26:36 PM
Through episode 16 last night, over halfway done now.

Know what this reminds me of even more than Tron?  Anybody else remember that sitcom on FUX from the early nineties -- Herman's Head?  Much of the action took place in the mind of the title character, with four people representing four aspects of his psyche ... his intellect, his lust, his anxiety, and his sensitivity (the only female).

I actually liked that show for the year or two that I watched it.  One thing I remember is, unlike the thoughts in Meme, the aspects in Herman's Head were pretty much just what they were supposed to represent, rather than complete personalities themselves.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:28:28 PM by stePH »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 04:25:09 AM
Finished it a couple of weeks ago; only just remembered to follow up on it now.

I kept wondering if we'd ever find out what the five-sentence meme actually was ... though early on I began to suspect it was just a MacGuffin to get the story going.

Then at the end the author says to go to the CR5 website to find the actual "CR5" content, but I can't find it there; all I find is an invitation to make up and post my own "CR5".  Bleh.

Anyway, I'm not sorry I listened, but I'm done with it now ... not a keeper, this one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:15:57 PM by stePH »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 11:06:42 AM
eah I was a bit dissapointed by the conclusion, but I suppose I should have seen it coming. How silly would it have been to have it be some recycled cliche instead.