Author Topic: PC048: “I’ll Gnaw Your Bones,” the Manticore Said  (Read 19982 times)

tapestry

• Extern
Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 06:58:14 AM
I liked the story. It had good description and the writing was nice and tight. However, I have listened to the last few minutes over and over and over and I still have no idea what the heck was going on. Which has sort of ruined the story for me. So either I am too dense to follow the conversation between the narrator and the manticore, or something is missing. Who is the "he" the manticore is referring to when he talks to the narrator and she responds "No, he didn't hurt me"? Is there something deeper going on here I'm missing. I'm really confused and would appreciate a bit of insight!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 05:40:07 PM
I liked the story. It had good description and the writing was nice and tight. However, I have listened to the last few minutes over and over and over and I still have no idea what the heck was going on. Which has sort of ruined the story for me. So either I am too dense to follow the conversation between the narrator and the manticore, or something is missing. Who is the "he" the manticore is referring to when he talks to the narrator and she responds "No, he didn't hurt me"? Is there something deeper going on here I'm missing. I'm really confused and would appreciate a bit of insight!

She (narrator) is reassuring the manticore that he (manticore) did not hurt her (narrator) when her (narrator's) arm was in his (manticore's) mouth.  Clear enough?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

SirJolt

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 06:12:48 PM
Involuntary surgeries (mostly sterilizations) were performed on non-white people in the United States until 1975. Previous surgeries were often justified with the suggestion that non-white people were not quite human enough to be sentient -- for instance, there's an entry in the diary of an English colonial exploring Africa where he talks about having shot and eaten a "Bushman" (!Kung San), which he sees no problem with, because such people are just apes like gorillas.

While it's certainly disturbing to consider the ramifications of mistreatment against apes like gorillas (since some apes can communicate with us via sign language), the historical medical mistreatment of non-whites on the basis that they are like beasts is not particularly remote.

Whether these abuses -- or a more broad sense of social justice, or even animal rights -- was on Cat Rambo's mind when she wrote, I wouldn't know.

I should very much hope that wasn't the aim of the story, if it were then there's an altogether very shakey issue introduced when the protagonist practices a little impromptu surgery on the old woman/fey character towards the story's close.

I'll admit that I might be a bit hasty to look for an underlying meaning to a story, but the fact is a well constructed narrative is one that entertains; whether or not it supports the weight of closer reading later doesn't come into it. I guess my problem here was that the 'message' (if indeed there was one) seemed to get in the way of the narrative. If there wasn't an underlying meaning we were meant to infer then I'll have to say I'm a bit bewildered by the whole affair.

Bummer :(

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 10:41:02 PM
So yeah.   

I love this story.  I know, I'm going to seem like an unrestrained and indiscriminate lover here, between Secret Life and EP's Exhalation and now this.  You're all going to forget how vociferous I can be in my not-loving of stories.

This is my favorite Cat Rambo story (so far).  I loved it ages ago on Clarkesworld and I love it still.  I'm so glad PodCastle ran it, because the reading was great and really added another level to the story for me.  And one of the things I cherish about this story is how humanly and humanely depicted every being is (except the curse rabbits, nothing humane there, but still appropriate).  The main character truly loves the animals in her care, but in the end, if they need to be lobotomized...she'll do it.  That's her job.  The beast classified fey gives her father in law the only attention and love he's known for 25 years and saves Tara's life, despite being a murderer, but that doesn't rescue Lupe from the awful surgery at the end.   The manticore will gnaw the MC's bones somenight (and Tara knows it)...but not this one.  Tara clearly says that some of the most cogent interactions she's had in her life have been with 'beasts', and doesn't ever parse that to mean she ought to examine her assumptions.  And yet the MC is drawn sympathetically, she's meant to be an everyperson, and the story itself doesn't cast judgment on her or fall into preachiness.  I think it's very honestly and subtly done.

And man, where everyone else sees nothing I see a LOT.  The story is carefully plotted and constructed.  It hangs together structurally, and each piece is needed to make the next piece go (Sparky has to have been dismissed in order to be murdered, frex and in order for Tara to recognize his tools).  Even unicorn face girl is a necessary foil to the fey, less human (both less intelligent and less kind) but granted human status.  I love the worldbuilding: the weirdly orbiting moon, the probable circus life, the oblique suggestions of a vastly different (more modern?) time, the significant names.  (Yes, totally a sucker for onomastics, when done right, of course.  It is possible to do onomastics badwrong.)  Further, the telling details kick ass: the yellow eye of the manticore rolling back, the description of Rik through Tara's loving eyes, the zombie rabbits, and so on.

This story has rewarded multiple readings/listenings for me, and that's pretty much the high bar of acclaim in Anarkey world.  It's a story I come back to periodically.  I also find it somewhat bewildering that people found it emotionally unsatisfying.  I thought the end note in this was just perfect and beautiful and moving.  I suppose it's possible that the protag hasn't changed enough to satisfy some, but I think the protag's not changing is the point and that it's driven home quite poignantly. 

Oh well.  To each his own, as they say.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

ConstantIrritant

• Extern
Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 10:14:48 PM
I'm late on the listen, as usual. 

I really enjoyed the story.  I have a friend who actually is a "beast trainer" [Hi, Tracy!] and the MC's attitude was spot on.  Loved the growly manticore voice, too, and the way it "postured" around strangers. 

Back to catching up...

CI

Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink.  Good luck.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 08:09:25 PM
I'm a big fan of Cat Rambo.  By the way, that's her real name, though Cat is short for Catherine.  :)

But this one was my least favorite of her stories (which still isn't a bad place to be).  I love the title and I've been looking forward to listening to this one since I downloaded all the Podcastle episodes.  I love the idea of the circus of the fantastic creatures.  But in the end it just wasn't cohesive:  The title led me to believe the manticore was of vital importance, and it was really more of a set dressing to the story of the intruding Fey creature, despite the beginning and large parts of the text being devoted to the manticore.  I think I would've liked it better if it had felt more cohesive.

Not that it was bad, it had a lot of cool ideas, good writing, and an interesting protagonist, so definitely above average overall, just not among my favorites.